Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hinicetomeetyou)
    Thanks everybody for all of the sound advice, really appreciate it. I hope you guys all manage to make your way in, as you say, GEM is so competitive and I guess it feels much like a last chance to most of you :/
    There are far worse and more demanding ways of entering medicine than GEM. But it isn't your best option as it stands.
    Research which uni's will accept you with a 3rd A level year, I would be highly surprised if your circumstances aren't classed as extenuating. On which note I'd highly suggest you start talking to teachers and your GP about it now, so when medical schools ask for proof you have something substantial to provide them.

Few med schools accept a resit year, but it is far better an option than spending a further 3 years studying, building debt and entering a profession that you are not interested in purely to gain entry to another course which may or may not remain available to you at the end of your first degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samodude11)
    Just done my UKcat (3rd attempt) and I got 695. There goes my place. Never mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you ever wanted to try med with foundation at Durham 6 Years? The ukcat is really based on the average and I think it really saves the time of waiting to get through everything for grad entry than spending extra two years in uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgee)
    Have you ever wanted to try med with foundation at Durham 6 Years? The ukcat is really based on the average and I think it really saves the time of waiting to get through everything for grad entry than spending extra two years in uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a graduate it would cost you £54,000 in tuition fees. Let's think about the practicality of having that sort of money spare for most people...

ReputationRep:
    I am literally so scared that I'm not going to get between 700-800 on the UKCAT. I've finished the Kaplan book and I feel only slightly better about it. AR and Quant is still so hard for me! I have it on the 10th, and about to book Medify. I've already rescheduled, but I think I might reschedule again as I just don't feel ready. Was anyone else this close to their test still feeling uneasy about it?

I've also decided that I am only going to apply to two places (Warwick and Newcastle) this is because I feel that Southampton is just too far away and Barts I won't be able to afford to live on LDN. I know this is a risk only applying to two places, but if I don't get in then I will use the year to revise for the GAMSAT. I just hope my UKCAT will improve and will be enough for Warwick, and I have shadowed a lot of different departments, only lacking in GP shadowing! I have 6 months care work and am waiting to hear from various HCA jobs in hospitals.

I'm really starting to doubt myself whether I'm smart enough for medicine after this UKCAT is not going great. Someone please tell me I will improve once I started Medify 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I am literally so scared that I'm not going to get between 700-800 on the UKCAT. I've finished the Kaplan book and I feel only slightly better about it. AR and Quant is still so hard for me! I have it on the 10th, and about to book Medify. I've already rescheduled, but I think I might reschedule again as I just don't feel ready. Was anyone else this close to their test still feeling uneasy about it?

I've also decided that I am only going to apply to two places (Warwick and Newcastle) this is because I feel that Southampton is just too far away and Barts I won't be able to afford to live on LDN. I know this is a risk only applying to two places, but if I don't get in then I will use the year to revise for the GAMSAT. I just hope my UKCAT will improve and will be enough for Warwick, and I have shadowed a lot of different departments, only lacking in GP shadowing! I have 6 months care work and am waiting to hear from various HCA jobs in hospitals.

I'm really starting to doubt myself whether I'm smart enough for medicine after this UKCAT is not going great. Someone please tell me I will improve once I started Medify 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Medify is a godsend, easily the best resource I have found. Relax, you still have plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by liam__)
    Medify is a godsend, easily the best resource I have found. Relax, you still have plenty of time
    If it's on the 10th and you've already done some revision then you've got plenty of time. I've seen people with 800+ who started revising only two weeks prior. As Liam said, Medify and the Kaplan score higher book are the two best materials I can recommend (as well as the official mocks).

Speaking of GEM in London, does anyone know if we get any extra financial assistance being students in London than we would at a uni elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I went on a course 2 weeks ago and it was helpful, it's just that my maths in general isn't great plus I haven't done any mocks yet
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Honestly QR is so much easier in the exam than in practise. I was getting barely 700 in mock tests and got 810 in the real thing. Medify is a really good resource to practise using the number pad and calculator as well as being pretty similar to the real thing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jenniferuttams)
    Thanks

I went on a course 2 weeks ago and it was helpful, it's just that my maths in general isn't great plus I haven't done any mocks yet
    Get your maths up to speed with something like GCSE bitesize. You don't have to just use UKCAT resources, there are plenty of other ways of starting to prep before you tackle specific ukcat resources.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly QR is so much easier in the exam than in practise. I was getting barely 700 in mock tests and got 810 in the real thing. Medify is a really good resource to practise using the number pad and calculator as well as being pretty similar to the real thing.
    What practice resources did you use that had QR sections harder than the test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenniferuttams)
    What practice resources did you use that had QR sections harder than the test
    600Q book definitely is a lot harder. I don't know whether the Kaplan book and Medify were that much harder than the real questions (perhaps a bit) but i've taken the test twice thinking I wouldn't do well in QR and gotten 800+..

Most of the questions in the UKCAT are one-step answers and deal with pretty simple graphs/data. Practising and getting comfortable with the calculator and number pad is key, as is sticking to the 30 second limit per question. Of course, this all comes with practise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I have 6 months care work and am waiting to hear from various HCA jobs in hospitals.
    Look in to working for your bank as a HCA or agencies. They usually require care work experience, 6 months in most cases. The pay is also much better.

Speaking of GEM in London, does anyone know if we get any extra financial assistance being students in London than we would at a uni elsewhere?
    Yes, however given the changes in grants and funding for 2016 I would expect big changes, hopefully for the better.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Zorg;57984577]Look in to working for your bank as a HCA or agencies. They usually require care work experience, 6 months in most cases. The pay is also much better.

The bank near me isn't taking applications. There's plenty of HCA jobs near me I'm just waiting to hear from them. I got an interview for one in surgery but I was on holiday :-/ I'm so gutted as I haven't heard anything else from other HCA! I'll get one eventually :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you fulfil the entry requirements for Southampton and barts, it seems completely daft to me to restrict yourself to only 2 universities, given how competitive gem is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    600Q book definitely is a lot harder. I don't know whether the Kaplan book and Medify were that much harder than the real questions (perhaps a bit) but i've taken the test twice thinking I wouldn't do well in QR and gotten 800+..

Most of the questions in the UKCAT are one-step answers and deal with pretty simple graphs/data. Practising and getting comfortable with the calculator and number pad is key, as is sticking to the 30 second limit per question. Of course, this all comes with practise!
    Isn't is 40 seconds per question for QR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested there is an event titled 'Exploring Graduate Entry to Medicine'. BMA, Admission tutors, medical students will be present to give talks. It will take place in September in London.

http://www.gradsintocareers.co.uk/ev.../medicine.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    If you fulfil the entry requirements for Southampton and barts, it seems completely daft to me to restrict yourself to only 2 universities, given how competitive gem is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't, I have to do chemistry A level to apply to those two. But I can't see myself ever affording to live in LDN

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else struggling with the VR section and are there any other extra tips someone can give?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm entering my 3rd year of Biochemistry at the University of Nottingham, applying for the sept 2016 entry.

I was going to apply for medicine at first when I was doing my A-levels but I chickened out, but when I came to uni, even though I really enjoyed biochemistry and am thrilled by research, I just feel like I have to do a medical degree even if I still end up going on to doing research (but I have an aim to do clinical practice as well). I was motivated fully by seeing a lot of my friends who are in medical school... seeing what they learn is just fascinating and I feel like I won't be fulfilled without this degree!

Planning on applying to Notts (1st choice by far), Warwick, St george, and either liverpool/southampton depending which one is easier to get into...

I'm so sad about the funding rules and wish they would do funding for the 5 year course but I guess that would make it harder for the college students to get in with elevated competition with graduates haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hinicetomeetyou)
    Hi guys, I've been really struggling with what to do and absolutely nobody knows really what to advise me to do about this. Over the last two years, i've been very indecisive about things; I get adamant that I want to study medicine and then something (first it was a teacher after my AS results came out) that put me off of studying it, and so I gave up. I went through sixth form with all sorts of obstacles (including a couple of family deaths and some other struggles) which I suppose could classify as extenuating circumstances. I'm HOPING to come out of this year with AAB or ABB. I currently hold an offer for Bath (a university which I really love) for biomedical sciences for AAB, and I had decided that perhaps I should go down the graduate entry route. What i'd like to know is; as people attempting to get into graduate entry medicine now, would you suggest to me I do this, or take a third year of A-levels (with extenuating circumstances) and apply for undergraduate medicine? Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read ^^
    As others have said, it would probably be easier for you to get in to undergraduate medicine, provided you get AAB this year and can get your extenuating circumstances formally recognised. However be careful with this - some exam boards can be a right pain and won't let you have special circumstances unless it was mentioned during the time of the events/before the exams. (I know this because I work in clearing for a university and have sadly spoken to lots of students who've hit that road block!).

However that being said, I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago and decided to go ahead with Biomed, and I got a GEM offer this year. I actually ended up really enjoying myself during that degree, and I feel like I've grown a lot as a person which will make me a better doctor in the end. I saw my first degree as kind of a "low pressure" education before the real deal. I personally doubt GEM will be scrapped entirely (and certainly not in the next two years - when you can apply!), as it's mainly about widening participation, although it's true you can never be sure of what the government will do. Also we all know the student debt is basically just a tax which we will never bother with in the future - it will just be taken out of our pay cheques like other tax. If you do end up being a doctor, you'll be financially secure enough not to worry so much about that.

My advice to you would be to prepare for the worst (i.e. getting low(er) grades and doing biomed then GEM) and hope for the best (AAB + extra year, or... who knows - you could get three A's and then apply for undergrad!)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    Hi guys I'm entering my 3rd year of Biochemistry at the University of Nottingham, applying for the sept 2016 entry.

I was going to apply for medicine at first when I was doing my A-levels but I chickened out, but when I came to uni, even though I really enjoyed biochemistry and am thrilled by research, I just feel like I have to do a medical degree even if I still end up going on to doing research (but I have an aim to do clinical practice as well). I was motivated fully by seeing a lot of my friends who are in medical school... seeing what they learn is just fascinating and I feel like I won't be fulfilled without this degree!

Planning on applying to Notts (1st choice by far), Warwick, St george, and either liverpool/southampton depending which one is easier to get into...

I'm so sad about the funding rules and wish they would do funding for the 5 year course but I guess that would make it harder for the college students to get in with elevated competition with graduates haha
    Have you thought about Oxford? I remember reading on their website that they want their graduate entry applicants to have a large interest in research

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.