Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looks wise what would you honestly rate yourself out of 10? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    Maybe at Dagor Dagorath.
    That is when I'm supposed to die :gasp: and it doesn't officially exist!! So lemme see now :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I'd say I'm probably about a 4/10 British Asian guy, so a bit below average. What about you?
    3/10
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...psoaovy8sd.jpg

(OP, I'd say 7)
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg 12661890_1667395156870114_391909793605090935_n.jpg (82.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a 7/8.

ReputationRep:
    Negative 20...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In line with my namesake I have taken about 30 minutes to write down all of the (serious) responses in an excel file and found the mean, median and mode so far in this thread. For the ones where people gave a range I averaged, for the ones with/without makeup I averaged (but for the ones that were like '1/10 without 6/10 with' I would just go with 6 because there are limits to modern science and cosmetics can't possibly be that effective).

Turns out people on average aren't being overly critical of their appearances (assuming the mean appearance on TSR actually is 5 and we're not all abnormally attractive).

Mean: 5.6
    Median: 6
    Mode: 6

There were a lot of 6/10s going on (15% of all responses to be precise).

Someone pointed out earlier on that attractiveness is going to be normally distributed, just like most physical qualities, so somebody that is genuinely 8/10 would probably be a supermodel, just as someone who is genuinely 2/10 would probably have a severe physical deformity. In that respect the variance reported here was ginormous compared to what an actual normal distribution would look like, which probably means that there is a lot of overblowing on either side of average.

ReputationRep:
    apparently I look like stormzy from the side so you guys can judge that i guess

ReputationRep:
    solid 9/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    In line with my namesake I have taken about 30 minutes to write down all of the (serious) responses in an excel file and found the mean, median and mode so far in this thread. For the ones where people gave a range I averaged, for the ones with/without makeup I averaged (but for the ones that were like '1/10 without 6/10 with' I would just go with 6 because there are limits to modern science and cosmetics can't possibly be that effective).

Turns out people on average aren't being overly critical of their appearances (assuming the mean appearance on TSR actually is 5 and we're not all abnormally attractive).

Someone pointed out earlier on that attractiveness is going to be normally distributed, just like most physical qualities, so somebody that is genuinely 8/10 would probably be a supermodel, just as someone who is genuinely 2/10 would probably have a severe physical deformity. In that respect the variance reported here was ginormous compared to what an actual normal distribution would look like, which probably means that there is a lot of overblowing on either side of average.
    Great post! I never though aabout attraction being normally distributed. Hmm. Just an interesting post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Right, time for some regression analysis of.. something.
    I do feel like doing something a bit more statistically rigorous but I do sort of have an econometrics module I'm avoiding revision for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Great post! I never though aabout attraction being normally distributed. Hmm. Just an interesting post.
    It's probably nearly impossible to find an objective set of criteria that everyone can be measured by. But...

Anecdotally it really isn't very often that I spot people who I think are objectively out-of-this-world attractive and similarly so with people being actually repulsive to look at. Maybe when you watch movies with certain actors/actresses in but I don't think the Hollywood A-list mean attractiveness is going to be the same as the mean attractiveness on the high street. In real life I do see quite a few people who I'd say objectively are a 4, 5 or a 6.

Of course all of this objective stuff goes out of the window once you actually get to know a person, so it doesn't really matter that much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    0/10 for me... 1 if I am REALLY lucky. To be honest, if I was to get into a looks contest with the Gruffallo (a drunk one) he would beat me hands down.

ReputationRep:
    The self hatred and false modesty here is contagious so i'm going to say 12/10

ReputationRep:
    average as hell

ReputationRep:
    :poo: /10

ReputationRep:
    Makeup: 8 or 9 with a nice outfit and pretty hairstyle
    No makeup/normal: 7

ReputationRep:
    Sub zero.

ReputationRep:
    4/10 by European standards, +1 to 1.5 points from fifteen months of lifting and bro dieting gets me to 5 or 6/10. Overall I suppose I gotta be happy with that. Lifting was a good decision, I recommend

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say about 5. Very average. I know I'm not ugly, as very very few people are. But I'm not 'attractive' haha.
    Attachments Pending Approval
  2. File Type: jpg 11222889_10154236294038135_7099688607290860516_n.jpg (94.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)

That would only work if everyone on tsr posted, you don't take into account the incentive of the poster.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Minus 57/10. I look so disgusting that I've probably made some people throw up just from looking at my hideous face.

More chance of humans colonising the sun than me ever getting a girlfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.