Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabrielladelaney)
    Just got an offer for Law :-) A*AA
    would you mind telling me your predicted grades for A2 and GCSEs ???
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    unconditional for BSc Finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy Li)
    anyone received an offer for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisation please?
    Yes, I got one one last week for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations! I've already got my grades so I got an unconditional, but if you haven't hear yet don't panic! I applied last year for ancient history and archaeology but didn't get an offer until January! And another of my friends didn't get an offer until March!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjzxcvbnm)
    Got an offer from Durham for Liberal Arts!!
    That's fantastic, well done!

When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em_lrob)
    Thank you!! I'm a Brit, but most of the kids at my school are international so I've talked to quite a few Americans before and they always talk about AP in comparison to IB (which I'm taking). How are you finding the UK uni application progress considering your situation? The American system seems so much more chilled out than in the UK, we are so rigid in our qualifications it drives me insane!

I put my application in around the 7th of October if I can remember correctly, when did you?
    I just sent it in last Sunday (the 15th), so probably won't be hearing for a while.

I've actually found the UK process wayyyyy easier than the American one. There are no conditional offers in the US, which makes the second half of the year pretty relaxed, but whether or not you get into certain unis is way more of a crapshoot. Test scores matter, but your transcript is super important, and your essays (which are much more about you as a person than your academic ability), and extracurriculars, etc. are really important too. So if you want to go to a competitive school, you have apply to several (plus 'safety' schools, because you could not get into any, even with top scores). Most people I know apply to at least 9 or so, often more.

S o basically the US system is way more holistic and less rigid, but also way less predictable. Sorry for the long explanation aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesper Logan)
    Yes, I got one one last week for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations! I've already got my grades so I got an unconditional, but if you haven't hear yet don't panic! I applied last year for ancient history and archaeology but didn't get an offer until January! And another of my friends didn't get an offer until March!!
    Thanks a lot! I was so nerves about it 'cause I really like Durham. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I have a guaranteed offer because I did the sutton trust summer school haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    That's fantastic, well done!

When did you apply?
    haha thanks, it was around 6th October I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourbias)
    I have a guaranteed offer because I did the sutton trust summer school haha
    Was your offer just their standard offer? My son went on the Sutton Trust Summer School too.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone
    GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAAA

A-levels:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics (AS - B)
    Russian

Predicted: A*A*AA

Applying for Mathematics (4 years)

Sent my application this Monday and was asked today for the UMS scores
    dunno if that's good or bad :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ats961)
    Hello everyone
    GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAAA

A-levels:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics (AS - B)
    Russian

Predicted: A*A*AA

Applying for Mathematics (4 years)

Sent my application this Monday and was asked today for the UMS scores
    dunno if that's good or bad :/
    That's not good nor bad it's a formality, maths is very difficult to compare between candidates as everyone has an A at AS! UMS is a much better to distinguish candidates. As long as you had good ums you should be good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    That's not good nor bad it's a formality, maths is very difficult to compare between candidates as everyone has an A at AS! UMS is a much better to distinguish candidates. As long as you had good ums you should be good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Decision 1 - 94
    Mechanics 1 - 94
    Statistics 1B - 72
    Core 1 - 98
    Core 2 - 93
    Core 3 - 84 (but I think I will resit it)
    Purther Pure - 84

Are they good enough?

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for geography a couple of weeks ago! AAA

Now just got to wait for college...

ReputationRep:
    Any idea when offers for History will start to roll out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiemn)
    Bristol is soooo nice I'm going to the post offer day in jan. is Durham your favourite ? I sing, play piano and trumpet I'm doing my gr8 singing and gr7 piano on Friday 😫😫😫
    I think Durham is my favorite so far but I'm going to see Sheffield soon so I won't know until then. Good luck on your grade 7 piano, I have mine next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ats961)
    Decision 1 - 94
    Mechanics 1 - 94
    Statistics 1B - 72
    Core 1 - 98
    Core 2 - 93
    Core 3 - 84 (but I think I will resit it)
    Purther Pure - 84

Are they good enough?
    Yeah the 84 in core 3 isn't too great but considering you're just year 12 it shouldn't matter too much. To be honest I would say you're below average, although I know a guy here doing maths who got a B in C1 (though ended up with A*s in both maths alevels). Think you should get an offer though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cclaireb)
    Got an offer for geography a couple of weeks ago! AAA

Now just got to wait for college...
    what subjects did you take for A Levels?

also, are you going for Bsc or Ba? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azafran)
    I just sent it in last Sunday (the 15th), so probably won't be hearing for a while.

I've actually found the UK process wayyyyy easier than the American one. There are no conditional offers in the US, which makes the second half of the year pretty relaxed, but whether or not you get into certain unis is way more of a crapshoot. Test scores matter, but your transcript is super important, and your essays (which are much more about you as a person than your academic ability), and extracurriculars, etc. are really important too. So if you want to go to a competitive school, you have apply to several (plus 'safety' schools, because you could not get into any, even with top scores). Most people I know apply to at least 9 or so, often more.

S o basically the US system is way more holistic and less rigid, but also way less predictable. Sorry for the long explanation aha
    Aha I don't mind the long explanation, its nice to understand it a bit more so I can offer support to my friends who are US applicants! It all sounds so hit or miss, a lot more down to how likeable you are than if you are actually a suited applicant. Do you find in the US that more emphasis is placed on who you are (or your family are)/what you've done outside the classroom than in the UK? Because I know in the UK the unis really really don't care about legacies or who your parents are aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victoriadalton1)
    I got an offer for sociology this afternoon!
    Congrats! When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer for maths yet ? I applied in mid October and still haven't heard anything back at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.