Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_pearl)
    The NHS bursary I received isn't enough to cover my accommodation. I still fall approx £2000 short and that's without the cost of living expenses..Is there anything else anyone can recommend? (I'm going to try and find a part time job too)
    Presume you have applied for the reduced loan from student finance England which is approx. £2300?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    Presume you have applied for the reduced loan from student finance England which is approx. £2300?
    Yes, it was the only one I was able to get. My bursary was approx 3000 , so I only have £5000 altogether to essentially 'live' off for the year..(this isn't even enough to cover my accommodation fees)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it was the only one I was able to get. My bursary was approx 3000 , so I only have £5000 altogether to essentially 'live' off for the year..(this isn't even enough to cover my accommodation fees)
    Yeah, I only get the £1000 basic bursary and the SFE loan. I'm grateful we get our tuition fees paid and all that, but it's a pretty rubbish situation! I guess part time work is the only opition...it just seems to defeat the entire point of why the NHS bursaries exist though.

ReputationRep:
    I get closer to £4K for my NHS bursary so with the additional student loan I have managed to survive (going into my 3rd year in September). A lot of people do struggle and have to work part time. I have earned some extra cash working for the uni in student ambassador type roles, but with the savings I had before I started I have coped ok. At my uni being NHS funded means you don't qualify for other uni bursaries too which is annoying. 2017 entrants will have it easier with more finance available but their debts will be huge compared to us.

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Which uni are you heading to - is it Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    I get closer to £4K for my NHS bursary so with the additional student loan I have managed to survive (going into my 3rd year in September). A lot of people do struggle and have to work part time. I have earned some extra cash working for the uni in student ambassador type roles, but with the savings I had before I started I have coped ok. At my uni being NHS funded means you don't qualify for other uni bursaries too which is annoying. 2017 entrants will have it easier with more finance available but their debts will be huge compared to us.

Hope you manage to get it sorted. Which uni are you heading to - is it Manchester?
    Yes it's the university of Manchester. I got my a-level results yesterday (I got AAB) & managed to get in, super happy & yeah, I guess the only option will be looking for a part time job. My parents have said that they will also help out, but i don't really want to rely on them, so going to to try my best to figure something out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    Yeah, I only get the £1000 basic bursary and the SFE loan. I'm grateful we get our tuition fees paid and all that, but it's a pretty rubbish situation! I guess part time work is the only opition...it just seems to defeat the entire point of why the NHS bursaries exist though.
    A college teacher of mine recommended overdraft & bank loans, but as you said, it just defeats the point of the bursary. ( I would never choose those options unless I was really really desperate)

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's the university of Manchester. I got my a-level results yesterday (I got AAB) & managed to get in, super happy & yeah, I guess the only option will be looking for a part time job. My parents have said that they will also help out, but i don't really want to rely on them, so going to to try my best to figure something out.
    Well done for getting in. Good work to aim for is care work. Great for your CV and personal statement when it comes time to apply for jobs. It tends to be flexible too. The timetable tends to change around quite a bit so it's good to have that.*

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on getting the grades! I had Manchester as my insurance place back in the day and spent a lot of time there during year 12 on a programme they run for colleges in the Greater Manchester area, but I was able to meet my offer from my firm - MMU - so we will be near neighbours!

Wishing you good luck with your studies and the finances!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on getting the grades! I had Manchester as my insurance place back in the day and spent a lot of time there during year 12 on a programme they run for colleges in the Greater Manchester area, but I was able to meet my offer from my firm - MMU - so we will be near neighbours!

Wishing you good luck with your studies and the finances!
    Awesome! Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    A few of us have created a group on Facebook for anyone starting at Marjon in Sept! Feel free to join so we can have some familiar faces when we start!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1818658018353827/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _m_)
    A few of us have created a group on Facebook for anyone starting at Marjon in Sept! Feel free to join so we can have some familiar faces when we start!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1818658018353827/
    I'm going into my 2nd year at Marjon in September, so if you have any questions/worries etc. feel free to ask and I'll try and help as much as I can! Either way, congratulations, and look forward to (hopefully!) meeting you all in a few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I am starting the speech and language therapy course at dmu this September and was wondering if anyone else is☺️ Also wondering if there is any Facebook groups for this cohort. I will be staying in the Ben russle court off campus and am quite nervous. Any help would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am starting the speech and language therapy course at dmu this September and was wondering if anyone else is☺️ Also wondering if there is any Facebook groups for this cohort. I will be staying in the Ben russle court off campus and am quite nervous. Any help would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    Calling dmu first year students!!
    hi!
    Im starting dmu this septemeber and was wondering what the timetable is like and how intense the course is
    I also plan to commute from coventry and was wondering how much that will affect my performance
    thank you and I wish everyone good luck

ReputationRep:
    A lot of SLT students commute. Yours is by no means the longest I've seen (mine is longer!). It shouldn't be too horrendous for you. Theoretically you can get work done on the commute.*

I commuted for three hours a day on my first year (not DMU) and came out with all firsts, whilst balancing a job and two children. It doesn't need to affect your performance at all. There are some sacrifices along the way though. You often are rushing off to get where you want to go and to beat traffic and catch trains etc. You may miss out on evening meet ups sometimes as well.

It can get tiresome when it comes to placement. You may resent the travel more than some. However, travel is the job. Many SLTs are travelling massive distances between clients and work places so it's something you will just have to make your peace with as part of your career choice!*

If this is your first degree, just make sure you don't cut yourself from any additional training opportunities because of the commute. I didn't need to go to essay writing workshops or anything because I basically teach it for a living! But I did make some calculated choices to skip optional training where I didn't feel I could justify the cost of the commute in for something optional. It would have hurt me more if I didn't have prior experiences and learning to draw on.*

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to buy many books when you start studying SLT?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting SLT at MMU, just wondering who else is? 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aria Abc)
    Do you need to buy many books when you start studying SLT?
    Nope. See what your library stock is like before you buy anything. A lot of the suggested reading is guff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Nope. See what your library stock is like before you buy anything. A lot of the suggested reading is guff.
    Okay, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing SLT at City University?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.