13.12%
    St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if A* predictions gives an advantage over other applicants even if the requirements are AAA? So say I applied to Liverpool with AAA and someone else with A*A*A*?
    TIA
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Does anyone know if A* predictions gives an advantage over other applicants even if the requirements are AAA? So say I applied to Liverpool with AAA and someone else with A*A*A*?
    TIA
    It will depend on the Medical School. For some, they just want to make sure you've met the requirements but it may give you an advantage at others.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Hi Natalie,
    sorry if you're busy!

GCSEs
    7A* and 3A (in Maths, Eng lang and ICT)

AS
    AAAB (A's in Bio Chem and Maths, B is dropped)

PREDICTIONS
    AAA, but my AS is high enough for A*'s in 2 subjects if that is needed.

UKCAT
    An unfortunate 640 band 2.

My WE and volunteering is sufficient, as is my extra curricular, trying to keep this post short so I wont list as I'm sure you get bombarded with them!

These are my questions:
    Would you say HYMS, UEA and Liverpool are good choices?
    On the Sheffield medical school website it says below 1850 wont be considered, is this risky for me?
    Is Bristol a good option considering my UKCAT?
    If I was to apply to Keele, what would you say is a safe amount of volunteering?
    St. George's cut off last year was 650. Too risky?
    My UKCAT scores 24/30 for Nottingham, I was considering here until now.
    Aberdeen- is my UKCAT too low?
    And finally, for Birmingham would you say I need more A* at GCSE to be competitive?

I'm terribly sorry for the long message, I feel very annoying but after my unexpected UKCAT these are the universities I have come up with over the past couple of days. I don't feel like any part of my application has any strengths.I hope I'm not wasting your time.
    Xx
    Hey, dont worry about me being busy haha.

1) HYMS would be riskier, but liverpool and UEA sound like great choices.
    2) I would say with your chances at bristol are good with a good personal statement.
    3) Keele are into hours of voluntary work, I would say most candidates would have 50+ hours at least, but whether that is competative is a different question.
    4) yes SGUL is to risky.
    5) nottingham could be good if you have strong scores (600+) in each of the sections.
    6) yea I would say your UKCAT would be to low for aberdeen.
    7) Bham may also be a push with your A's in maths and english and the lower UKCAT, last year they needed 6.16 out of 10 for an interview, you can check your score online. I checked now and you would score 6.833, and it is noted on the page that 73% of interviewed applicants had a score of 8 or above, so yours in on the low side.

Dont worry about anything honestly, I would say liverpool, bristol, UEA, keele may be good choices but with your GCSE grades I would strongly urge you to sit the BMAT for leeds.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know which uni will like high predicted grades for A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)

2) I would say with your chances at bristol are good with a good personal statement.
    3) Keele are into hours of voluntary work, I would say most candidates would have 50+ hours at least, but whether that is competative is a different question.
    4) yes SGUL is to risky.
    5) nottingham could be good if you have strong scores (600+) in each of the sections.
    7) Bham may also be a push with your A's in maths and english and the lower UKCAT, last year they needed 6.16 out of 10 for an interview, you can check your score online. I checked now and you would score 6.833, and it is noted on the page that 73% of interviewed applicants had a score of 8 or above, so yours in on the low side.

Dont worry about anything honestly, I would say liverpool, bristol, UEA, keele may be good choices but with your GCSE grades I would strongly urge you to sit the BMAT for leeds.
    That is extremely useful. Thank you so much for all of your help, I will take all of your advice on board! I do have 600+ in all sections so may go for Notts/Bristol as I am concerned my volunteering wont be as competitive as others for Keele. Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

GCSEs: 4A*, 5As and 3 Bs
    AS Levels: AAAB (biology, physics, chemistry and maths)
    A2 Predictions: A*AA (bioogy, chemistry and maths)
    UKCAT: 2000 (667 average and Band 2 SJT)

At the moment I'm thinking of applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Imperial, and then possibly HYMS, Sheffield, SGUL or Nottingham.

Are these choices reasonable given my stats and is there anywhere else you'd recommend applying?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi you guys! Reading through this thread and so happy to see how kind and helpful all of you are! I'm an international applicant and am currently in the IB program. I'm pretty set on Imperial and Birmingham, and am deciding between Leicester, Edinburgh, Exeter, Nottingham and East Anglia for the next 2 options.I will be predicted either a 43 or a 44 out of 45 and have gotten an average UKCAT score of 690 (580 in VR, 770 in AR and 720 in QR) and Band 1 in SJT. Kinda worried about that anomaly in the VR... For extra curricular activities, I have had several internships at several hospitals (accumulating to a month), an active volunteer at a care home for over a year, founder and leader of a service group that designs and teaches English lessons at a refugee school, research intern at a Thalassemia research project at one of our country's top universities, conducting a research project & writeup (part of the extended essay for the IB) on cystic fibrosis. For the more creative side of things, I'm part of our school's junior varsity touch rugby team, quite involved with cooking (internship at a molecular gastronomy restaurant, leader of a catering club at our school, regularly cook at home for fun), very involved with dancing (take dance lessons and have been part of many dance performances), Silver Duke of Edinburgh award, play the piano. (I'll pick and choose which ones to really dig deep into & reflect for my personal statement)What do you guys think? How should I decide my 2 options with the sort of academics & non-academics that I have?A little worried about my MYPs (equivalent to GCSEs) as I got 7s (A*) in all subjects, but 5s (B) for maths and science. Should I not consider Birmingham and Leicester then (as, I believe?, they place more emphasis on GCSEs than A-levels/ IB)?

ReputationRep:
    Is it better to talk about a career in medicine rather than being a doctor on your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)

4) yes SGUL is to risky.

Hi Natalie, could you assist me in narrowing down for universities as I've seen you've helped a lot of people!

UKCAT 740 QR 720 AR 550 VR BAND 1 670 average
    GCSE 6A* 4A 1B 1C A*'s in Maths Further Maths Chemistry Physics English Language(After Retake) and Religious Studies
    AS Levels Biology Chemistry Maths Economics EPQ 5As
    Predicted A*A*A* Maths Biology Chemistry
    Super Curricular - Read A short introduction to medical ethics, the rise and fall of mordern medicine, EPQ on science vs religion touched on medical ethics, writing an essay on the future of gene editting
    Rugby first team player and District football
    Work Experience - 2 Weeks St Thomas' ICU, 1 Week Muskuloskeletal Centre, 1 week Kings surgery
    Voluntary Work - Autistic School in Ghana, Kings College Dementia Ward, Mentoring Primary School Children at Maths

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

ReputationRep:
    HiI am just asking about how well i stand in applying for medicineGCSEs - 2A*, 5A, 4BA level - A in maths A2, predicted A*A*BLevel 2 qualification in palliative careUKCAT - 1860, Average 620 - VR -570- QR - 700- AR - 590Work Experience - a week in an opticians - a week shadowing in A&EFor context i am applying to Keele, Manchester, Queens Belfast and Hull YorkAny advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rthgrthhrt)
    HiI am just asking about how well i stand in applying for medicineGCSEs - 2A*, 5A, 4BA level - A in maths A2, predicted A*A*BLevel 2 qualification in palliative careUKCAT - 1860, Average 620 - VR -570- QR - 700- AR - 590Work Experience - a week in an opticians - a week shadowing in A&EFor context i am applying to Keele, Manchester, Queens Belfast and Hull YorkAny advice would be appreciated.
    Leave manchester, ukcat cut off is usually like 670. Go for the others tho!

ReputationRep:
    Hi you guys! Reading through this thread and so happy to see how kind and helpful all of you are!

I'm an international applicant and am currently in the IB program. I'm pretty set on Imperial and Birmingham, and am deciding between Leicester, Edinburgh, Exeter, Nottingham and East Anglia for the next 2 options.

I will be predicted either a 43 or a 44 out of 45 and have gotten an average UKCAT score of 690 (580 in VR, 770 in AR and 720 in QR) and Band 1 in SJT. Kinda worried about that anomaly in the VR...

What do you guys think? How should I decide my 2 options with the sort of academics & non-academics that I have? A little worried about my MYPs (equivalent to GCSEs) as I got 7s (A*) in all subjects, but 5s (B) for maths and science. Should I not consider Birmingham and Leicester then (as, I believe?, they place more emphasis on GCSEs than A-levels/ IB)?

ReputationRep:
    Will a score of 7.75/10 get me an interview at Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!!

GCSEs:
    7A* (Math, Lan, lit, Core, addition, further science, geog) 2A (Art and Applied Business) 1B (french)
    UKCAT:
    VR-670
    QR-770
    AR-640 (693 average- 2080 total)
    SJT-Band 2
    Work experience:
    +6 months volunteering at hospital
    1 Week at hospital placement
    1 Week at independent opticians
    AS level: AAAA Maths, Bio, Chem, Geog
    Also eligible for some (access to leeds) , but not all, widening participation schemes.

Any suggestions on where i should apply?? Also does it make a difference that my GCSE's were sat in 3 years. (1 in year 9, 3 in Y10, 6 in Y11)

Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisdale98)
    Will a score of 7.75/10 get me an interview at Birmingham?
    based on last years threshold, it's possible.
    Birmingham's selection for interview isn't based entirely on your score, though, I don't think. I think they'll check your PS, also. Birmingham like extra curricular activities, work experience and the whole shazam. Look at their website and the entry requirements for more detail (http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...urseDetailsTab)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L7416)
    Predictions A*A*A

AS AAAA

GCSEs 9A*s

UKCAT 687

Academically, how am I doing?
    terrible.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    joke, well done! You should be safe to apply to most med schools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L7416)
    Hahahaha thank you!! Thought I was doing okay, but reading everyone else's UKCAT scores really freaked me out
    the scores here are not representative of the national average x

ReputationRep:
    I've just been told that my AS grades are too low - AABB (Biology, french, maths, chemistry), I'm carrying on with bio, chem and french. I got 5A*'s , 5A's, 1B at GCSE. I haven't sat my UKCAT yet but I'm wondering if I should be hopeful or not?

Also which uni's should I apply for because I really want to apply for Kings and UCL(dream school) but if my grades are too low then I probably shouldn't right ;(?

Please advise because the lady I spoke to at school was saying how I am competing with people who got 4A's and she said that I shouldn't have carried on with french?! Also I thought they didn't look at AS grades this year?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 12A*s, 1A* short course and 1 pass
    AS: 5As: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths
    A2: Biology, Chemistry and Maths targeted 3A*s

UKCAT: 2310 & Band 2
    BMAT: We'll see!

WEx: 4 days at UK hospital
    2 days at mental health clinic
    3 weeks in Tanzanian hospitals

Volunteering: After school club/ buddy scheme with young people with learning difficulties and disabilities
    Fundraising for a charity
    Tutoring German and Maths GCSE students
    Reading buddy for year 7s

Showing interest in medicine: Access to Bristol biomedical science stream
    Mini medical skills conference
    Psychiatry summer school
    Cambridge 'Medicine Masterclass'
    Re-started school med soc
    Extracurriculars: Netball
    Self-taught flute player (although no grades)
    Role in organising college production

Positions of responsibility: Student ambassador
    Deputy prefect

That's pretty much me.....
    Any suggestions of which med schools to apply to??
    All ideas welcome - I'm stuck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjcoolio)
    GCSE: 12A*s, 1A* short course and 1 pass
    AS: 5As: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths
    A2: Biology, Chemistry and Maths targeted 3A*s

UKCAT: 2310 & Band 2
    BMAT: We'll see!

WEx: 4 days at UK hospital
    2 days at mental health clinic
    3 weeks in Tanzanian hospitals

Volunteering: After school club/ buddy scheme with young people with learning difficulties and disabilities
    Fundraising for a charity
    Tutoring German and Maths GCSE students
    Reading buddy for year 7s

Showing interest in medicine: Access to Bristol biomedical science stream
    Mini medical skills conference
    Psychiatry summer school
    Cambridge 'Medicine Masterclass'
    Re-started school med soc
    Extracurriculars: Netball
    Self-taught flute player (although no grades)
    Role in organising college production

Positions of responsibility: Student ambassador
    Deputy prefect

That's pretty much me.....
    Any suggestions of which med schools to apply to??
    All ideas welcome - I'm stuck!!
    Hey,
    Well done for your UKCAT and you stats so far! You could really apply to anything. I would say avoid Bristol as they are really into personal statement. Cambridge and Oxford is good depending on your UMS (not sure if they are looking at them this year). There's also Cardiff that had GCSEs A*s cut off scores in the past so with yours it'll work.
    I also went to the medicine masterclass in Cambridge, it was very interesting! But it did put me off applying to Cambridge as they did say its more of a natural science course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.