Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, think I'm going to firm Durham tonight for engineering, so just wondered if there was anyone else doing engineering or going to Josephine Butler? Also if anyone has anything to help me make my mind up that'd be good.

ReputationRep:
    my brother is going to Durham in September 2016. he's doing economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Psychology or at Hatfield?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaseho98)
    Anyone doing Psychology or at Hatfield?!
    Got Hatfield as well

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be a mature student (29) studying archaeology with foundation year. Boarding in Hatfield college.

Cannot wait! :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Sherry)
    I'm going to be a mature student (29) studying archaeology with foundation year. Boarding in Hatfield college.

Cannot wait! :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cracking. I'm also a mature student, 26 - going to Hilde Bede!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Giorgia. Just found this so I'm veryyyyy late, oops.
    Anyway,
    Subject: Law
    Offer: 38
    College applied to, albeit extremely late: Butler's College
    College assigned to: St Aidans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackMorgan32)
    Hi everyone, think I'm going to firm Durham tonight for engineering, so just wondered if there was anyone else doing engineering or going to Josephine Butler? Also if anyone has anything to help me make my mind up that'd be good.
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, you have probably made up your mind already but it's still worth a shot. My dad went to and taught at Durham. From what I've heard, it's an extremely good place to be - very nice city with lovely and friendly people. Much calmer than London and also the education is one of the best. As I am also doing a lot of research myself, this is all I can say for now. If it helps, I really wanted to be in Josephine Butler so I guess in my opinion, though it may be biased, you're at a good college.
    Hope my reply was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got into St Aidans too.
    My name is Giorgia and I'm Ghanaian and British
    Hopefully, I'll see you there

(Original post by lauttes)
    Has anyone else been allocated to St Aidan's and gone to check it out? Maybe I missed the posts but I hardly see anyone else who got St Aidan's here haha. I've already chosen Durham as my firm but just wanna know what the college is like.

ReputationRep:
    Hi it's possible. I put in my preference after I had been accepted. I didn't get that college though, but my application was changed to include my preference so if you haven't been allocated one already, you can
    (Original post by aayushk)
    Hey guys, so I had made an open application to the University, but now I wish to put in a preference for the college. I still haven't been allocated one though I only just received the offer. Is it possible to do so now?

Also, is there a separate thread for people who hold offers for law from Durham?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giorgiiaa)
    Hi it's possible. I put in my preference after I had been accepted. I didn't get that college though, but my application was changed to include my preference so if you haven't been allocated one already, you can
    Hey, I had checked with the University if I could, but I wasn't allowed to. Haha. Anyway, I got allocated to Collingwood College and I hear it's quite nice so I'm really not stressed about it anymore!
    Thank you though

Hope to see you at Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise! What course would you be doing and where are you from?

Hey, I had checked with the University if I could, but I wasn't allowed to. Haha. Anyway, I got allocated to Collingwood College and I hear it's quite nice so I'm really not stressed about it anymore!
    Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    Likewise! What course would you be doing and where are you from?
    I've firmed Durham for law. I'm from Mumbai, India.
    I see you've been made an offer for law as well, congratulations!
    Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patronus7)
    I've chosen my firm choice but I need to choose my insurance in case I don't meet the grades. The problem is that Durham (Combined Social Sciences) as offered me the same grades as my firm: A*AA, but I really love it. I know this sort of defeats the point but I only just prefer my firm over Durham and ahhh I just really like it there. York (History) has offered me AAA. I emailed Durham Admissions and they said they don't flex for people who has put them as their insurance (??), say if I got AAA they wouldn't 'apparently' give me a place. I'm just not sure about York at all, I mean its fine but I don't love it, and would consider not going to university at all if I was transferred to York as my insurance. If Durham gave me a place as my insurance I would take it no matter what. Has anyone been in this position/heard someone who has that was successful with Durham or another high league uni (or another uni with no places in clearing)? I've heard so many stories that universities can put high grades up and not be so strict on results day. Thank you!
    Had the same dilemma last year, ended up taking a gap year because I missed both of my offers (both were A*AA). Got into various universities via clearing, including York but wasn't satisfied and hence took a gap year and got an offer from Durham again this year.

There are many stories of universities being flexible, do not buy into them. You largely leave everything to luck and chance which is too uncertain a phenomena to leave such a big decision to.

If you don't like York at all, in other words you would rather not go to university this year at all instead of attending York, then you have already made up your mind.

Do be wary though that it's is very, very possible to miss A*AA - I missed my offer by 3 marks - having misread a question worth 6 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AunAb)
    Had the same dilemma last year, ended up taking a gap year because I missed both of my offers (both were A*AA). Got into various universities via clearing, including York but wasn't satisfied and hence took a gap year and got an offer from Durham again this year.
    There are many stories of universities being flexible, do not buy into them. You largely leave everything to luck and chance which is too uncertain a phenomena to leave such a big decision to.
    If you don't like York at all, in other words you would rather not go to university this year at all instead of attending York, then you have already made up your mind.
    [b]Do be wary though that it's is very, very possible to miss A*AA - I missed my offer by 3 marks - having misread a question worth 6 marks.
    This is quite worrying, if you don't mind me asking, which course at which universities did you choose last year?

With the deadline looming, I have a huge decision between Durham/UCL for 1st choice (A*AA) and Nottingham, also A*AA (all natural sciences) or biochemistry at Manchester (AAA). Whilst on paper the latter would be the right choice for insurance, I wouldn't want to stay at home and prefer the other courses. Nottingham offered an unconditional if I made them firm, but am tempted to make them insurance.
    I am hoping that either would be flexible, but I guess it depends on the course and how oversubscribed it may be.

They shouldn't have invented this extra grade in the first place, there was nothing wrong with the old system, - and the requirements for natural sciences are always higher than the single science, apparently because it's harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    This is quite worrying, if you don't mind me asking, which course at which universities did you choose last year?

With the deadline looming, I have a huge decision between Durham/UCL for 1st choice (A*AA) and Nottingham, also A*AA (all natural sciences) or biochemistry at Manchester (AAA). Whilst on paper the latter would be the right choice for insurance, I wouldn't want to stay at home and prefer the other courses. Nottingham offered an unconditional if I made them firm, but am tempted to make them insurance.
    I am hoping that either would be flexible, but I guess it depends on the course and how oversubscribed it may be.

They shouldn't have invented this extra grade in the first place, there was nothing wrong with the old system, - and the requirements for natural sciences are always higher than the single science, apparently because it's harder.
    I applied for Economics last year, and PPE this year.

Choosing Nottingham will be a risk, definitely. But it's up to you to decide whether it is a risk worth taking. It is possible that they will be flexible with their offer but keep in mind that it is equally and probably more likely that they aren't flexible. Especially, considering that they are your insurance choice.

Some very important advice: Do NOT spend too much time worrying about this or stressing out as a result of your indecision, I did, and I could have spent that time studying. First and foremost your goal has to be to make that offer; beyond that go with your gut and choose whatever you think will satisfy you more. Remember, whatever decision you make you will regret it to some extent; regret is a double-edged sword, it's inevitable. I had offers from Warwick Durham, and Edinburgh (BBB) , I went for Warwick and Durham, which both happened to be A*AA and neither were willing to provide me a place, even though I missed my offer by 3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you though

i have an offer for law and have been allocated collingwood

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Giorgia. Just found this so I'm veryyyyy late, oops.
    Anyway,
    Subject: Law
    Offer: 38
    College applied to, albeit extremely late: Butler's College
    College assigned to: St Aidans
    hey i have a law offer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellawhite4686)
    hey i have a law offer!!
    I also have a law offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebe_cottam)
    I also have a law offer
    we have a group chat on Facebook i don't know if you're in it? if you private message me a link to your profile i'll add you

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.