Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahima589)
    Does any body know if HMRC honour pre booked holidays during training periods or if it is possible to defer start dates?
    I don't know about deferring start date, depending on manager they should honour holidays especially if pre booked and paid for as mine was. I started last Monday HO Cardiff after provisional offer being made in May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhyb)
    Congrats getting an offer, I started in Cardiff, from the March interview, last week and on my second day informed the hmrc manager i had a pre booked holiday - they were fine about it :-)
    Thanks! How have you found it so far? What were you doing for the first few days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Litts)
    They're taking on so many people because compliance roles generate income for the treasury. As a caseworker, you would generate far more income than HMRC spends on paying you (probably ten times over actually). This means that, as long as caseworkers are profitable, HMRC will keep employing people. They are also moving to regional centres where there's alot more room in there.

Is that a HO or band O job?

Without seeing the advert, I can't tell you whether the vacancies are just in Cardiff or not.

As regards to competency interviews, how many competencies did you have to write for the application (and what did you score in each of them)?

Just make sure your answers in the interview hit the indicators on the competency concerned in the framework.
    Oh that makes a lot of sense actually!

Here's the job application, it's band O. It seems to suggest that the 200 job's are specific to Cardiff, but that's just so many...

https://www.civilservicejobs.service...FmOWRmM2YxMWM=

I have to write about three competencies- making effective decisions, leading and communicating, and collaborating and partnering.

I'm just unsure how to prepare for this. Because it's a competency interview, I know you are expected to discuss very specific examples of a time where you faced a certain challenge. I just feel like I'm going to draw a blank in the interview :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I'm very confused. I originally applied for the graduate tax professional programme. I found out in January (I think, it was so long ago and I did so many applications) that I wasn't successful. I never interviewed with HMRC, I only did the online forms and tests.

In May I had an email asking me if I would be interested in being considered for one of these officer roles. I emailed back and said yes. Then two weeks ago I had a provisional offer for London (depending on background checks etc). Everything seems present and correct - it's all there on my civil service jobs portal. But I just think it's odd they never interviewed me, and now I'm worried that they've made a mistake making me this offer. I would love to do this given the chance (although I'm currently working on a temporary project contract so something starting in January would be perfect, I hope they don't give me too early a start date!) but I guess I'm just a little concerned by it.

Also I haven't used my studentroom account in YEARS, it's good to be back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Piranha)
    I must admit I'm very confused. I originally applied for the graduate tax professional programme. I found out in January (I think, it was so long ago and I did so many applications) that I wasn't successful. I never interviewed with HMRC, I only did the online forms and tests.

In May I had an email asking me if I would be interested in being considered for one of these officer roles. I emailed back and said yes. Then two weeks ago I had a provisional offer for London (depending on background checks etc). Everything seems present and correct - it's all there on my civil service jobs portal. But I just think it's odd they never interviewed me, and now I'm worried that they've made a mistake making me this offer. I would love to do this given the chance (although I'm currently working on a temporary project contract so something starting in January would be perfect, I hope they don't give me too early a start date!) but I guess I'm just a little concerned by it.

Also I haven't used my studentroom account in YEARS, it's good to be back
    Hi I'm in same situation , with a provisional London offer as well. How many references do you put down. I put 4 professional ones down but said they can only contact 2.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have emailed to accept my offer last week but never had any response from them.
    I have also emailed them to ask HR related question as well, but no response either.

I am now worried that my email might have gone to their junk email box and they will just assume I no longer want the job.
    How long does it take for you guys to get a response/confirmation from them?

ReputationRep:
    I only received an automatically generated response when I emailed to accept the offer but I think that was to a different address to the one you were given. The inboxes will be inundated with queries because of the size of the recruitment so it may take a while getting a response to your HR query.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhyb)
    I don't know about deferring start date, depending on manager they should honour holidays especially if pre booked and paid for as mine was. I started last Monday HO Cardiff after provisional offer being made in May.
    Hi how r you finding the HO post what dept have they put you in? I have been given formal offer but they give me start date of less than 2 weeks notice so waiting on them coming back with new date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukahontas)
    I only received an automatically generated response when I emailed to accept the offer but I think that was to a different address to the one you were given. The inboxes will be inundated with queries because of the size of the recruitment so it may take a while getting a response to your HR query.
    I was given the one beginning wmp, I am just worried that it didnt send me any auto reply because my mail went into the junk inbox!

ReputationRep:
    hi, i received a provisional offer last week to be a tax professional caseworker HO in belfast, this is a result of being on the reserve list for the TSP scheme and has then filtered down after no positions were available, i just have a few questions im hoping someone here can shed some light on for me!
    1. how long do pre-employment checks tend to take, and surely theyre almost always completed satisfactorily..?
    2. as i never applied directly to this post, on my cs jobs login, i cant see the job description for this post, can anyone direct me to it?
    3. anyone with any belfast-based hmrc knowledge know where im likely to be located!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jell91)
    hi, i received a provisional offer last week to be a tax professional caseworker HO in belfast, this is a result of being on the reserve list for the TSP scheme and has then filtered down after no positions were available, i just have a few questions im hoping someone here can shed some light on for me!
    1. how long do pre-employment checks tend to take, and surely theyre almost always completed satisfactorily..?
    2. as i never applied directly to this post, on my cs jobs login, i cant see the job description for this post, can anyone direct me to it?
    3. anyone with any belfast-based hmrc knowledge know where im likely to be located!?
    Once my checks started only took few weeks but got provisional offer in May and checks didn't start til end of July got offer mid August with start date for start of September but my employers are looking 3 months notice so waiting on HMRC coming back to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jell91)
    Checks can take up to 8 weeks or so but if you keep on top of any paper work they want it should keep it down to possibly 4 weeks.

It'll be a caseworker post. You'll be put into one of the tax regimes and trained up in it to go out and do enquiries and inspections to catch evasion and charging people the tax owed and any penalties. That's pretty much the jist.

More than likely you'll be placed at custom house in Belfast. There are two other locations - Dorchester House and Beaufort House. Both city centre. We are all being moved to the regional centre which is going to be city centre based and that's where we are all gonna be working from.

Nobody in here could even give you a clue about what type of tax you'll be doing its just wherever the work is needed. Any questions sure drop me a line and congrats on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool75)
    Once my checks started only took few weeks but got provisional offer in May and checks didn't start til end of July got offer mid August with start date for start of September but my employers are looking 3 months notice so waiting on HMRC coming back to me
    3 months?! What are you a teacher or something lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeAcc)
    3 months?! What are you a teacher or something lol
    No but work for another government dept and we r short staffed at the moment but think they r negotiable and they hav been really good to work for so if I can help I would but can't stay there as I will never get this grade of job so I do not want to miss this opportunity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool75)
    No but work for another government dept and we r short staffed at the moment but think they r negotiable and they hav been really good to work for so if I can help I would but can't stay there as I will never get this grade of job so I do not want to miss this opportunity
    I'd check your contract as most OGDs only require one months notice, unless you're G7 or above. All departments are short staffed and rely on the goodwill of staff like you, but whilst people give this goodwill, they'll never resource departments up appropriately. All you owe them is your contractual notice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    last week and this morning i check my feedback tab on my application and i had 4,5,6 and make an offer status. Just checked now and it has changed to 4,1,1 and acceptable demonstration. This happened to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trj1989)
    Hi All,
    last week and this morning i check my feedback tab on my application and i had 4,5,6 and make an offer status. Just checked now and it has changed to 4,1,1 and acceptable demonstration. This happened to anyone else.
    Looks like this is all screwed up and I wouldn't pay too much attention (although it changing to that scoring seems like a massive difference)

4,1,1 would not be an acceptable demonstration (this is the scoring)

1: Not Demonstrated2: Minimal Demonstration3: Moderate Demonstration4: Acceptable Demonstration5: Good Demonstration6: Strong Demonstration7: Outstanding Demonstration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trj1989)
    Hi All,
    That's a massive difference. What area did you apply for? Seems like everyone outside London are able to see their scores but not in London. I had my interview on 22nd July for London and still can't see any score for interview. still say awaiting review.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i applied to Newcastle and had my interview 1st August. I think they've pulled the scores they have put up, just worried why they would put 1 in instead 0.
    Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeAcc)
    You are given access to your full annual leave once you start. However, you are best to ask for a deferred start date because the tutorials and face to face learning is something they are pretty strict on you not missing. 5 weeks is a really long time lol!

There's been plenty of people who have deferred their start date though so don't worry :-)
    I contacted them yesterday and they said there was no way I could defer my start date by a week. I'm gutted because I've had this holiday booked before they even offered me the role.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.