Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordStark)
    I thought that was a good paper. I ****ed up the percentage yield question because I couldn't get anything other than 100.3%, but I was fairly confident on everything else.
    I got 100.3% too! Was really annoyed that I couldn't work it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna98uk)
    Did I do a different paper to all of you or something? I hated that paper so much ahhh
    I hated that paper too, it was so hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabzyvelli321)
    4.46*10^6 Pa
    1.8 something for mass
    67% yield
    Metal - Ca
    9*10^-4 for gs-1- rates
    Did anyone say clamp stand needed for oxidation??
    ****in my life... I first got 4.46x10^6 then I though you can get moles of a gas from mol = mass / mr...so I changed it and ended up getting around 101000 for pressure... ****!

I got the same yield and metal

except i GOT -0.06 for rate idk how
    dk what this clamp stand is about?

asinghj add what you remember to what I remember below (And correct mine) and we'll try and make an unofficial mark scheme

here's the rest of what I remember of the paper
    Spoiler:
    Show
    draw the apparatus you'd use:
    I made this one up - I put a clamp stand with a syringe on the left, and a clamp stand holding a test tube with magnesium and water in with a bong connected to the syringe.

the difference in melting point - p4 and cl2 - on the graph chlorine was lower
    I put: they are both covalently bonded, butchlorine is a smaller molecule, and so has weaker london forces therefore less energy is required to break the intermolecular forces therefore lower melting point.

second ionisation energy for strontium
    Sr+ --> Sr2+ + 2e-
    but I think it should've been e-

rates question: why was there loss in mass or something?
    I put cause the reactants were getting used up and (2 mol of gas given off)

describe and explain the trend in the graph up to 200s.
    rate rapidly decreases.
    (at least one of the reactants) is being used up (?)

explain why enthalpy change of formation for NO was exothermic in terms of bonds
    I put because more bonds made than were broken and making bonds releases energy whereas bond breaking uses up energy.

show NO catalyses the break down of ozone:
    idk I completely made up the two equations I don't remember.

mechanism for the reaction of compound A an alkene with a hydrogen halide (HBr)
    show the mechanism, the two different products, explain which of two would form more of.

unsymmetrical alkene CH3HC=CCH3CH3 , basically the second possible product just had the H and Br on the resulting haloalkane switched around, more of the tertiary halogenoalkane would be formed because it's more stable.

why is it a secondary carbocation?
    because the halogen is attached to the carbon that is attached to 2 alkyl groups

write equation for butan-2-ol oxidising
    I drew out: butan-2-ol + [O] - butanone + h20

why is this apparatus not suitable for oxidising a secondary alcohol?
    i didn’t know this but I put: because nowhere to separately collect the products, reflux apparatus would be better.

there was an equation question on something forming aluminium nitrate and hydrogen sulfide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    I hated that paper too, it was so hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Glad I'm not the only one. The exam was basically on everything I wasn't confident with. I literally only liked the last question and a few brief ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackthb)
    same happened to me, managed to start the final question and was working towards the correct answer but ran out of time
    omg same! like I left loads of questions and just didn't get time to go back to them😞 also it was so hot in our hall, no doors or windows open, it was so hard to concentrate😩

ReputationRep:
    Did evreyone get z-pent-2-ene and 2-methyl-propanoic acid

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to the pressure question i got 6x10^4 i think

ReputationRep:
    some parts of the paper were hard but others were easy
    these questions took a lot of time to work out thats the main reason why we found them hard and so a lot of people ran out of time like me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler213)
    Surely it was 2-methylpropanoic acid , otherwise how would you get a secondary carbocation with butanoic acid?
    i got butanoic acid too

ReputationRep:
    Nice one guys-predictions were on point 👌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maaz_ali)
    some parts of the paper were hard but others were easy
    these questions took a lot of time to work out thats the main reason why we found them hard and so a lot of people ran out of time like me
    ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456CJ)
    Did evreyone get z-pent-2-ene and 2-methyl-propanoic acid
    thought it was pent-3-ene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awsomedude)
    i got butanoic acid too
    Same

ReputationRep:
    wasn't there a peak at 1700 so there's an alkene group, making it butenoic acid.

na, its too late i got it wrong anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler213)
    Surely it was 2-methylpropanoic acid , otherwise how would you get a secondary carbocation with butanoic acid?
    I got that as well. I think that's the correct answer, but they'll probably give marks for butanoic acid as well, because it is an isomer of butanoic acid after all

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed that exam. A lot like the old spec questions in my opinion.

Nothing on Boltzmann tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle_16)
    omg same! like I left loads of questions and just didn't get time to go back to them😞 also it was so hot in our hall, no doors or windows open, it was so hard to concentrate😩
    I was like the only one in my class who ran out of time 😰

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelK321)
    I was like the only one in my class who ran out of time 😰
    same!

ReputationRep:
    What did people get as the rate of reaction from the graph , did u draw a tangent and get 9*10^-4 gs-1 mot something else

ReputationRep:
    it was iyt

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.