The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Agree - I predict it will be 62/75 for 80ums.
Original post by fefssdf

If you're right, I'll literally starting believing in the Gods
Original post by Yallfools
Pretty sure you got 6 wrong, cos I think you have to square root the n on the bottom, making n quite a lot larger than 62, thats what I got as well but I'm pretty sure it's wrong

ah yep I got 62 as well !!! . I'm not sure where I went wrong because I didn't get a quadratic to solve - just a linear - so I ended up with something that rounded to 62.. I hope we don't lose too many marks - hopefully I still get like 4/8
Original post by kingaaran

*takes a screenshot for August*
Original post by fefssdf
For K, you had to use the fact that you know that F( something ) = 1, and that F( something else )= 0 - I can't remember what the values were exactly but it was whatever the upper and lower bounds were ?

Yeah, that's what I did- F(2) is zero and F(3) is 1 but for some strange reason my a and k values were completely different. Do you think I'll get one mark just for saying the above? This was out of 4 right?
Original post by kingaaran

2015 paper had only one question involving algebra, yet this one had like 3 and whenever a paper starts asking you to find unknowns many people just get completely confused and don't even bother trying to work it out ... It will not be 67 for an A - that would just be ridiculous
Original post by fefssdf
2015 paper had only one question involving algebra, yet this one had like 3 and whenever a paper starts asking you to find unknowns many people just get completely confused and don't even bother trying to work it out ... It will not be 67 for an A - that would just be ridiculous

<3
Prediction for 59. C?
Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx
Yeah, that's what I did- F(2) is zero and F(3) is 1 but for some strange reason my a and k values were completely different. Do you think I'll get one mark just for saying the above? This was out of 4 right?

ah yeh thanks for reminding me what the values were, and yeh that was the correct method... It was out of 4 so it would be M1 for the first equation so for F(2)=0 and then M1 for the second equation in terms of K, and then another mark for isolating out K on its own, and then the final A1 for solving for K. So you should get 2/4 if your two equations in terms of K were correct :smile:
Original post by fefssdf

If you're wrong we will have problems.
Does anyone remember how much the radius question was worth?
Original post by Armpits
Prediction for 59. C?

59 will be a high B I would say... last year it was 59 for 70ums but judging by the difficulty of the paper boundaries will drop so you're probably going to be looking at mid 70s for 59. well done :smile:
The E(A) question, i thought you need to imtegrate Pi x R^2 r cus that's in the formula :'(
So you get like intergrate of Pi x r x 1/16 dr, not Pi x r square x 1/4
I got 3pi/4 for that
But well how many marks was that question??
And the find n part, i got 1.75=(55.5-0.2n)/squareroot 16n
I multiplied them out and got b^2- 4ac as negative and im confused :'(
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone remember how much the radius question was worth?

It was worth 4 marks.
Original post by Armpits
If you're wrong we will have problems.

I will have problems as well - I need at least a B on this to get my A in maths arghhh
what I would say is that the normal approximation question would've confused a lot of people, the integration thing for 6 marks as well would've led to lots of silly mistakes, and then the weird circle question would've confused people... there were enough ' dodgy' questions to make me think boundaries won't be as extortionate as 2015. Also there were a few S1 type questions, and I like many people would've forgot how to find the mean and variance when given the table... and that was question 1a !
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
ah yeh thanks for reminding me what the values were, and yeh that was the correct method... It was out of 4 so it would be M1 for the first equation so for F(2)=0 and then M1 for the second equation in terms of K, and then another mark for isolating out K on its own, and then the final A1 for solving for K. So you should get 2/4 if your two equations in terms of K were correct :smile:

Thanks! I honestly can't remember how I managed to get 2/3... Although that may be because the equations were incorrect. If that's the case, even if I still have F(2) is zero and F(3) is one, do I get zero? Or can I get a mark just for saying F(2) is zero and F(3) is one? Any opinions? Sorry for bugging you so much 😅
Crap for part 7c worked out p(X<1.5)!!! Then got parts d and e wrong as a result. Any ideas how many marks I will loose??
Anyone who did S2 ial?
Anyone know if there a past paper with a similar question to Q5. ?
Guys, wasn't the E(X) question 53 pi? Because it's the E(X) of a normal distribution so b-a)/2? Where b=81 pi and a=25 pi?

No it wasn't that simple. (b+a)/2 only applies for a uniform continuous. When you have E(A) that is effectively pi*E(R^2) which is not a uniform continuous distribution since you have the R squared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending