The NBA 2016-17 Thread - Season begins tonight!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Underrated players it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)

Take some therapy fam
    JHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE get the **** outta here Iggy. This is the King's zone.

Thanks fam I needed that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    JHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE get the **** outta here Iggy. This is the King's zone.

Thanks fam I needed that
    Ended up being such an amazing finals man, especially games 5 and 7. Can't wait for the 3rd installment

Ooooooooo underrated.

All Time;

Hakeem, not actually sure about anyone else tbh, I know people consider Kevin Johnson and Isiah Thomas.

Current;

Al Jefferson
    Pau Gasol

ReputationRep:
    Carmelo Anthony--Manu Ginobili--Scottie Pippen

ReputationRep:
    Dominique Wilkins, Shawn Marion

ReputationRep:
    John Havlicek- Man is the leading points scorer for the Celtics of all time. Multiple time all star, finals MVP and played when there was no 3 point line. Definitely like the Scottie Pippen to Bill Russell.

Manu Ginobelli- is another really great shout. He sacrificed so much for the better of the team. An example of the whole sometimes statistics don't paint the whole picture. Had some great accolades but never really given the respect he deserves. *

Moses Malone- Always overlooked in favour of the the big 4 big men in the NBA (shaq, Hakeem, Kareem and Russell) but Malone was a 3 time MVP and holds a record of most offensive rebounds in a season. He was an absolute monster with the 6 time rebounding leader in the league. Name always gets lost though in the busy crowd of those big men.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, recently found a new channel that I think a lot of you will enjoy - some of you may already be aware of it. It's called 'By Any Means Basketball'. But just in case...

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6K...vVnX9ug/videos

Steve Nash Breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5VlarMcKU

Derrick Rose's athleticism breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi65hnvpssY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epic within)
    Dominique Wilkins, Shawn Marion
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Hey guys, recently found a new channel that I think a lot of you will enjoy - some of you may already be aware of it. It's called 'By Any Means Basketball'. But just in case...

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6K...vVnX9ug/videos

Steve Nash Breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5VlarMcKU

Derrick Rose's athleticism breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi65hnvpssY

Love it, a Rose essentially had the same flaws Wade had in terms of how he landed on his feet etc., he would also wear compression sleeves during games which weren't good from his knees. These days he's sorted it out but back in his hayday he'd dunk with a 4ft vertical and land with his knees completely straight, it made me cringe. They took such a pounding all because he didn't understand something as basic as landing safely.

ReputationRep:

Pray for DMC y'all, I legit feel bad that he's wasted 7 years of his life playing for that disaster of a franchise

ReputationRep:
    Gary Payton

ReputationRep:
    Love it, a Rose essentially had the same flaws Wade had in terms of how he landed on his feet etc., he would also wear compression sleeves during games which weren't good from his knees. These days he's sorted it out but back in his hayday he'd dunk with a 4ft vertical and land with his knees completely straight, it made me cringe. They took such a pounding all because he didn't understand something as basic as landing safely.
    Man D. Rose used to be one of my fav players (still is) and I was following NBA even in 2011... I LOVED watching him play, so damn quick and adept at finishing around the rim, crazy athleticism. There was a while where I only bought D. Rose shoes to play ball in. Patiently waiting for him to return to MVP-form.. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Man D. Rose used to be one of my fav players (still is) and I was following NBA even in 2011... I LOVED watching him play, so damn quick and adept at finishing around the rim, crazy athleticism. There was a while where I only bought D. Rose shoes to play ball in. Patiently waiting for him to return to MVP-form.. :sad:
    Ah can't wait for the new season. Basketball Forever are taking the p*** man, they messaged me asking if I wanted to be a content creator (hells to the yes), but they havent gotten back to me and its been over a week. So I just spammed all their emails asking for a reply

On the topic of underrated players, NTJ has a very nice compilation and list. Thurmond (shut down Kareem in multiple playoffs) is #1 on the list.

ReputationRep:
    Considering following the Knicks this season. Mainly cause the time difference is a lot more manageable than Dubs games, especially with it being my final year of uni. I actually wanna watch some ball :lol:

That and Porzingod. I love him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Considering following the Knicks this season. Mainly cause the time difference is a lot more manageable than Dubs games, especially with it being my final year of uni. I actually wanna watch some ball :lol:

That and Porzingod. I love him.

Knicks are the team to follow this year bro, Rose and Noah going offfff for their contract years, Porzingod putting some meat on those bones getting ready to dominate in the post.

I still don't know anything about the rest of their squad tbh, should probably learn a bit about the bench and see if I like any personalities there. Big games I'm looking forward to would have to he Cavs, Pacers, Boston, Bulls (this one will be nuts), and of course how they hold up against the West giants and any game where Rose goes up against a top PG

ReputationRep:
    Knicks are the team to follow this year bro, Rose and Noah going offfff for their contract years, Porzingod putting some meat on those bones getting ready to dominate in the post.

I still don't know anything about the rest of their squad tbh, should probably learn a bit about the bench and see if I like any personalities there. Big games I'm looking forward to would have to he Cavs, Pacers, Boston, Bulls (this one will be nuts), and of course how they hold up against the West giants and any game where Rose goes up against a top PG
    It's frustrating in a way. Towards the end of the season I couldn't justify staying up for Dubs games that start at 3:30am (Besides the Finals as my exams were over), and now I'm in final year, and the workload is gonna increase, I definitely can't be sleeping at 5:30am whenever they play at home. Which eliminates a load of games.

I know you're in love with Rose! And it's ironic Noah has joined given he's a player I dislike (for no reason at all), but you're right in that further research into the team would be needed.

Perhaps I'm just gonna end up a floating fan like yourself as opposed to sticking to a single team. Really weird feeling how this off season I've just cooled off from the Dubs. Not even sure why considering how insane they're gonna be next season.

ReputationRep:
    BasketballForever got back to me, very close to becoming a content creator 😬 just added me to a private group and said we'll be discussing things further. Expect some Hakeem posts

(Original post by MrDystopia)
    It's frustrating in a way. Towards the end of the season I couldn't justify staying up for Dubs games that start at 3:30am (Besides the Finals as my exams were over), and now I'm in final year, and the workload is gonna increase, I definitely can't be sleeping at 5:30am whenever they play at home. Which eliminates a load of games.

I know you're in love with Rose! And it's ironic Noah has joined given he's a player I dislike (for no reason at all), but you're right in that further research into the team would be needed.

Perhaps I'm just gonna end up a floating fan like yourself as opposed to sticking to a single team. Really weird feeling how this off season I've just cooled off from the Dubs. Not even sure why considering how insane they're gonna be next season.
    Yeah being a floating fan is way more enjoyable for me, there's too many amazing personalities in the NBA to be stuck to one starting 5. I just happen to love Rose as you've said, he pretty much embodies my personality I feel IRL. And Noah is pretty much Draymond tbh, although he's nowhere near as good as his 2011 level he brings that same energy and passion.*

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of Youtube channels, got a list here of some stuff people may like. A mix of 2K players and actual basketball analysis. No doubt everyone here will have heard of many, but hopefully it's a decent way to perhaps find one you might not have visited before:

Mix/2K/General

Mike Korzemba
    AFunkyDiabetic
    Chris Smoove
    Nick Smith
    Sam Pham

Highlights (Individual players, modern seasons and old seasons)

FreeDawkins
    Ximo Pierto
    VintageDawkins
    GD's Latest Highlights
    DownToBuck
    gearmast3r
    LamarMatic

Analysis

BBALLBREAKDOWN
    By Any Means Basketball
    Half Court Hoops

Other

Shift Team HQ

Enjoy, should provide some content for you all as the off season keeps rolling on.

ReputationRep:
    Ximo is the real MVP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MamzZass)
    Ximo is the real MVP
    FR, dude was so fast putting up interviews after the game in the playoffs I swear he had to be uploading straight from the conference room :rofl:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.