The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Clive Lewis has made an interestingly moderate defence speech to Labour conference - accepting Labour policy on renewing Trident and confirming that a Labour government would committ to NATO, collective defence and at least 2% of GDP in defence spending.

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile, The Comrade has joined a protest against his own decision to scrap the Shadow Cabinet Minister for Mental Health, which is pretty ironic considering he increasingly seems to need some help in that department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Would have to look at the new boundaries but under the current ones the polling would suggest that Labour lose their seat, the Lib Dems hold their island and the Tories take both border seats. The nearest other Tory target would be somewhere near Aberdeen but even with that set of polls, the SNP hold it by 6-7%.

Agree though, the non-SNP parties are fighting for scraps at this stage.
    I can't really see anything stopping the SNP for years and years, if ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Clive Lewis has made an interestingly moderate defence speech to Labour conference - accepting Labour policy on renewing Trident and confirming that a Labour government would committ to NATO, collective defence and at least 2% of GDP in defence spending.
    Would have thought Corbyn would be looking to pass the baton onto Clive at some point.

He seems fairly decent.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Would have thought Corbyn would be looking to pass the baton onto Clive at some point.

He seems fairly decent.*
    I could definitely see that. Wouldn't be easy to make happen though. Only three ways I could see it:

a) Corbyn tells MPs he'll resign if they allow Lewis onto the leadership ballot - probably unlikely they'd agree to this.
    b) Corbyn sucessfuly convinces the NEC and Conference to change the leadership election rules to make it easier to get on the ballot - possible within a couple of years
    c) Lewis attracts enough support from the PLP and EPLP - unlikely unless we are talking much reduced numbers post-2020.

ReputationRep:
    I could definitely see that. Wouldn't be easy to make happen though. Only three ways I could see it:

a) Corbyn tells MPs he'll resign if they allow Lewis onto the leadership ballot - probably unlikely they'd agree to this.
    b) Corbyn sucessfuly convinces the NEC and Conference to change the leadership election rules to make it easier to get on the ballot - possible within a couple of years
    c) Lewis attracts enough support from the PLP and EPLP - unlikely unless we are talking much reduced numbers post-2020.
    Could see a deal where he agreed to step down but only if he got to choose the successor. If Corbyn knew that Clive would be leader , I think both him and the moderates would be meow satisfied than they are now.*

ReputationRep:
    Excellent Policy decision .. I was expecting something rather different from Lewis if truth be told

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

Corbyn has been protesting against himself, and people actually want this moron to be PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA

Corbyn has been protesting against himself, and people actually want this moron to be PM
    I think we may have more of a problem on our hands than previously thought:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    IS it just me or is all Cameron capable of now is being a sore loser, running away, and then trying to destroy May because things didn't go to plan for him and George?

ReputationRep:
    IS it just me or is all Cameron capable of now is being a sore loser, running away, and then trying to destroy May because things didn't go to plan for him and George?
    He is and probably learnt it from Gideon (Osbourne) who has form for hiding and dodging when things get difficult.

ReputationRep:
    The book is by a Cameron loyalist, not the man himself.

Osbourne is the one who'll attack in the future.

ReputationRep:

Apart from the issue of Europe (which is somewhat settled now), the political differences in the tory party pale in comparison to the huge chasms in Labour.

I mean is there really that much ideological difference between Boris and Cameron or Cameron and May?

The major squabbles on the right seem as much about personality as they are policy.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the issue of Europe (which is somewhat settled now), the political differences in the tory party pale in comparison to the huge chasms in Labour.

I mean is there really that much ideological difference between Boris and Cameron or Cameron and May?

The major squabbles on the right seem as much about personality as they are policy.
    Boris and Cameron are identical ideologically, their differences are jealousy related.

May seems to be much more One Nation than the mild Thatcherism of the others.

Your right that the differences are smaller though, the Tory voting system (MP's narrow it down) has largely put the rabid right down.

ReputationRep:
    Boris and Cameron are identical ideologically, their differences are jealousy related.

May seems to be much more One Nation than the mild Thatcherism of the others.

Your right that the differences are smaller though, the Tory voting system (MP's narrow it down) has largely put the rabid right down.
    Be interested to get your opinion on this.
    Do you actually think Boris genuinely supported Brexit ideologically or was it simply his calculated way of getting power?

Lots of sources genuinely suggest he actually made far more convincing arguments for remain.

ReputationRep:
    Be interested to get your opinion on this.
    Do you actually think Boris genuinely supported Brexit ideologically or was it simply his calculated way of getting power?

Lots of sources genuinely suggest he actually made far more convincing arguments for remain.
    Boris is not a Euro-skeptic and while he may not love the EU either, i think he took a purely political position.

While i could put up with Boris as leader if he was backed the like of Gove, i think that anybody who believes he's genuinely euro-skeptic is a fool. If we get a relatively hard Brexit, it will be down to Fox and Davis rather than him.

ReputationRep:

I'm referring to the comments coming from Cameron

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm in the right party.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg 1474926383924.jpg (64.4 KB, 12 views)

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else despise all these quango's that are created to set the like of the minimum wage based on living costs (most of which end up being ludicrous).

Surely for those of us who want higher wages, the minimum wage should be set at the highest point at which it does not substantially effect employment regardless of whether living costs are higher or lower.

Not a fan of the money tree idea either.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else despise all these quango's that are created to set the like of the minimum wage based on living costs (most of which end up being ludicrous).

Surely for those of us who want higher wages, the minimum wage should be set at the highest point at which it does not substantially effect employment regardless of whether living costs are higher or lower.

Not a fan of the money tree idea either.
    I agree - of course I get their point that jobs should provide a living wage, but the minimum wage cannot do that on it's own. Perhaps in times of particularly high employment some moderate impact on jobs would be tolerable, but generally the only way to ensure people have enough to live on is to ensure a strong economy. It isn't a fix-all tool that can magically make sure everyone is happy ever after.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.