Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, who implimented PBL at this medical school? I think PBL in theory is fantastic but it's like they've completely disregarded ALL theory and principles behind it to introduce this half baked pile of **** which is broken beyond all recognition.

To call this abomination PBL is outragous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Anytime you get to something interesting, it's always 'the mechanism is as yet unknown'.
    but it's extremely rare for nobody to have any idea, it's very medicine to stop at 'mechanism unknown' i think. rather that is the point at which it actually gets interesting both scientifically and therapeutically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaz_197)
    I was at the olympics london ambassadors training event today and as soon as I mentioned that I'm a medical student a man and a lady started quizzing me on junior doctors and whether we get any cannula and bedside manner training.. thanks BBC3
    Hey, I'm glad for it: I get to feel great about myself every time I do bloods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    Hey, I'm glad for it: I get to feel great about myself every time I do bloods.
    You're gonna love being a house officer then....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Seriously, who implimented PBL at this medical school? I think PBL in theory is fantastic but it's like they've completely disregarded ALL theory and principles behind it to introduce this half baked pile of **** which is broken beyond all recognition.

What did they do?

ReputationRep:
    We did a heart practical today (riding on exercise bikes at different levels of resistance) and my heart rate went fairly high - one of the dems measured my radial pulse and found it to be 240 (he only measured for 5 seconds though and got 20, so fairly high margin of error only measuring for that amount of time right?), I think the highest the monitor (had a band thingy round my chest, no idea what it's called!) went to was about 205. Is this dangerous?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyouthere?)
    starting to enjoy med school a bit.
    I've felt that the past couple of weeks too. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    G. Freeman, A. Sharpe: A new therapeutic strategy for malaria: targeting T cell exhaustion; Nature Immunology: 13, 113–115 (2012)

If anyone's feeling particularly helpful
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    G. Freeman, A. Sharpe: A new therapeutic strategy for malaria: targeting T cell exhaustion; Nature Immunology: 13, 113–115 (2012)

If anyone's feeling particularly helpful
    I have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

Rumour is our medical school is turning PBL for 2013. Worst idea ever.

ReputationRep:
    Today was good. Consultant bought us coffee after wr and then taught us or half an hour. Then an f1 did then another f1. Then a third f1. Gp in the afternoon then did a good opthal/oto session. If only each day was this productive...

(Original post by xconfetti)
    We did a heart practical today (riding on exercise bikes at different levels of resistance) and my heart rate went fairly high - one of the dems measured my radial pulse and found it to be 240 (he only measured for 5 seconds though and got 20, so fairly high margin of error only measuring for that amount of time right?), I think the highest the monitor (had a band thingy round my chest, no idea what it's called!) went to was about 205. Is this dangerous?!
    Mine goes well over 200 and I don't feel tired. My dad always says not to let it go higher as blah blah arrythmias but I don't actually know as I have never looked at it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Rumour is our medical school is turning PBL for 2013. Worst idea ever.
    Ours is going that way too (still officially traditional systems based I think, but in terms of content PBL is becoming a big deal).

I've only really had one experience of it - I did a PBL module for ibsc last term; at the time it felt terrible and I hated it. We got stuck with a couple of dodgy group members and a sucky project which didn't help, and the lecturer kept telling us to "figure it out ourselves" when we asked for help.

In retrospect though I understand the topic really well now and we came out with high marks. So I'm kind of in two minds about it.

ReputationRep:
    Also I whapped out the stethoscope the other day as I'd forgotten what medicine was.

Does anyone else get bad crepitus whilst using one? I can't put my fingers on the bell without hearing it, I have to palm it or hold it at the tube joint :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Feeling thick, but what is the difference between the symbols -/- and 0/0? There in reference to thyroid receptor isoforms in a mouse model, and written as super-script next to the receptor isoform. I was thinking one is a knockout, but not sure which. The paper doesn't help. Like I said, I'm feeling thick and wouldn't be surprised if it's something very obvious. -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Feeling thick, but what is the difference between the symbols -/- and 0/0? There in reference to thyroid receptor isoforms in a mouse model, and written as super-script next to the receptor isoform. I was thinking one is a knockout, but not sure which. The paper doesn't help. Like I said, I'm feeling thick and wouldn't be surprised if it's something very obvious. -_-
    Nevermind, I think both mean knockout but each are meant to refer to a specific isoform. Meh, I've moved on.

ReputationRep:
    urgh, really can't be arsed to work today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Saturday. Posted 8.40am. Considering working on the weekend. Wtf is wrong with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    What do you have to do today? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've done any 'work' outside of lectures since I got here. Especially not on the weekend. Everyone else is stressing like crazy. Dunno why.

By 'work' I mean doing outside reading, writing up notes, revising old material. If something interests me or I need to clarify something I'll quickly look it up, but other than that I haven't felt like I need to yet. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I don't think I've done any 'work' outside of lectures since I got here. Especially not on the weekend. Everyone else is stressing like crazy. Dunno why.

By 'work' I mean doing outside reading, writing up notes, revising old material. If something interests me or I need to clarify something I'll quickly look it up, but other than that I haven't felt like I need to yet. :dontknow:
    You're clearly a genius...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.