Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Fireflies brings back the days of Year 7 and the good times that came with it... :moon: The intro with this remix is so good and the whole thing is the definition of a perfect take on the original.
Amellia123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SassKing13)
Hmmm yeah I'd heard that they tend to do that...
Oh I hadn't realised they'd spoken about doing it - I just notice that their 'new' music is far less bass heavy, which is such a shame seeing as I think that's what made them what they are! :lol: Its like, when they play Rio or Girls on Film its just not the same anymore
username1467365
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amellia123)
Oh I hadn't realised they'd spoken about doing it - I just notice that their 'new' music is far less bass heavy, which is such a shame seeing as I think that's what made them what they are! :lol: Its like, when they play Rio or Girls on Film its just not the same anymore
Well no, I haven't heard them explicitly speak about it, but it was mentioned in the comments in that video that his bass is slightly hidden in the mix on some of their 80s output. I get the impression he's somewhat underrated... (Although I suppose that's not talking about their new music haha. To be honest I'm not really a fan of when bands from the 80s make new albums and music nowadays. It just sounds a bit naff XD Sometimes I think it actually sounds worse with today's ultra high quality, perfect production :lol:)

Strange that though, I mean what's the point of having a bass player on stage if you can't hear him People are bad at mixing the instruments sometimes
Amellia123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SassKing13)
Well no, I haven't heard them explicitly speak about it, but it was mentioned in the comments in that video that his bass is slightly hidden in the mix on some of their 80s output. I get the impression he's somewhat underrated... (Although I suppose that's not talking about their new music haha. To be honest I'm not really a fan of when bands from the 80s make new albums and music nowadays. It just sounds a bit naff XD Sometimes I think it actually sounds worse with today's ultra high quality, perfect production :lol:)

Strange that though, I mean what's the point of having a bass player on stage if you can't hear him People are bad at mixing the instruments sometimes
I think when they first started out, they were less of pop band (mainly due to AT) which is why they sort of went down hill after 1985 when Andy left. These days, it seems to be a lot more synth heavy (and guitar riff heavy) as if to overplay the fact that Andy isn't there anymore - which has meant that JT's bass is more in the background. I think you can tell that his style is heavily influenced by disco (the likes of Chic etc), so the heavy bass worked in the past.
I know what you mean, the idea of 'a comeback' just seems so naff :lol: Though I think it helps that it is the original band now (minus Andy). Some of their newer stuff is still okay, seeing as they have had the input of Nile Rogers (who helped with The Reflex in '83 which went to #1). I think they got a little bit better in 2010 :lol:

Yeah that's true - its just more of a droning sound rather than a disco bass :rofl: Having said that, I can never hear any 'real' bass in modern music what so ever these days!
Amellia123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How to improve the mood before Chem2 this afternoon;

Duran Duran - Rio (live at Hammersmith 1982)
LordMallard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amellia123)
I think when they first started out, they were less of pop band (mainly due to AT) which is why they sort of went down hill after 1985 when Andy left. These days, it seems to be a lot more synth heavy (and guitar riff heavy) as if to overplay the fact that Andy isn't there anymore - which has meant that JT's bass is more in the background. I think you can tell that his style is heavily influenced by disco (the likes of Chic etc), so the heavy bass worked in the past.
I know what you mean, the idea of 'a comeback' just seems so naff :lol: Though I think it helps that it is the original band now (minus Andy). Some of their newer stuff is still okay, seeing as they have had the input of Nile Rogers (who helped with The Reflex in '83 which went to #1). I think they got a little bit better in 2010 :lol:

Yeah that's true - its just more of a droning sound rather than a disco bass :rofl: Having said that, I can never hear any 'real' bass in modern music what so ever these days!
Ah I see... Some bands really seem to struggle when members leave. R.E.M. for example - their drummer left and I think they even confessed themselves that they struggled... Yeah I read on Wikipedia just this morning actually that he was influenced by (quote ) "the funky rhythms of Chic". That's cool. I like the slap bass on Ashes to Ashes by Bowie.

Yeah I know what you mean. Original lineups of bands just have that chemistry together sometimes Haha I see :lol:

Haha XD I completely agree with you actually! A lot of it really does sound the same... Not really any identifiable, standout instruments that you can hear...
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sad_core
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mrs.Grey
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqANaL4U2ik
Pokémontrainer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Eternalflames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ivy.98
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Impressive)
Rap?

Got this one from a friend yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been listening to this everyday since you posted it haha thank you

-------

Zuki 'roll safe' :lol: ayeeee and SE reppin
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

That drop caught me off guard
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Still one of the most ironic songs ever but that drop... tbh it sounds like something you'd under extreme emotional pain...
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise