Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    tbh standards of living have seen a trend of constant improvement over time, and there's no good reason to think that will stop in the near future (whereas I think the super-long-term is less certain). Anyone who wants to go back in time is a bit silly IMO, especially if we take the assumption that your parentage is essentially random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    tbh standards of living have seen a trend of constant improvement over time, and there's no good reason to think that will stop in the near future (whereas I think the super-long-term is less certain). Anyone who wants to go back in time is a bit silly IMO, especially if we take the assumption that your parentage is essentially random.
    Is that not UKIPs wish? To take us back to the 70s?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I kind of like the late 1800's (Britain at its relative height) but TDA is right to say that we've never had it so good.

I'd rather go 50 years forward by which time we might actually live in what some would consider a utopia (space mining, fusion energy among other things). .
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I kind of like the late 1800's (Britain at its relative height) but TDA is right to say that we've never had it so good.

I'd rather go 50 years forward by which time we might actually live in what some would consider a utopia (space mining, fusion energy among other things). .
    To be honest, whilst there are many things I look forward to in the future of my lifetime, I hate seeing how laziness in general is just becoming so prominent. Like, I know Walle is extreme, but seriously, we're now getting things which are making us do less, which in some respects is great, but I still think we should stop relying on tech so much, and actually get off our arses.

So, advances in big projects (like you've said), I'm definitely looking forward to, and wish I could see now, but things which in the grand scheme of things aren't big or important, I don't want to advance so quickly...!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be honest, whilst there are many things I look forward to in the future of my lifetime, I hate seeing how laziness in general is just becoming so prominent. Like, I know Walle is extreme, but seriously, we're now getting things which are making us do less, which in some respects is great, but I still think we should stop relying on tech so much, and actually get off our arses.

So, advances in big projects (like you've said), I'm definitely looking forward to, and wish I could see now, but things which in the grand scheme of things aren't big or important, I don't want to advance so quickly...!
    There are certainly things to dislike about the future (ethno-cultural change, the depression we'll have to ride out if capitalism is to survive, rising divorce rates, the further growth in the entitlement and blame culture) however in the grand scheme of things when an old guy looks back at his life, most of them probably view the invention of the wheel as more noteworthy than the rise of fecklessness).

Of course i was being a tad optimistic though. I consider it pretty likely that we'll be at war with Islam before 50 years,

ReputationRep:
    Of course i was being a tad optimistic though. I consider it pretty likely that we'll be at war with Islam before 50 years,
    Seems unlikely that such a war will occur, since the ISIS-oriented factions are still a tiny minority, and if that war occurs, it will be short. Brutal, but short.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    There are certainly things to dislike about the future (ethno-cultural change, the depression we'll have to ride out if capitalism is to survive, rising divorce rates, the further growth in the entitlement and blame culture) however in the grand scheme of things when an old guy looks back at his life, most of them probably view the invention of the wheel as more noteworthy than the rise of fecklessness).

Yeh I suppose so! When we're old though, god knows what age we'll be to consider ourselves old... Though I don't reckon I'll get past 70, so about 50 years for me xD
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

I actually agree with this, however capitalism means that the tech that makes us lazy will grow faster than the big advances. Modern British culture is a disease which should be stamped out ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I actually agree with this, however capitalism means that the tech that makes us lazy will grow faster than the big advances. Modern British culture is a disease which should be stamped out ASAP.
    The sense in which you mean 'lazy' is an irrelevant one. There's no value in vacuuming yourself rather than getting a robot to do it for you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Oh yes, I totally want to go just to have a gay orgy :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the quote.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The sense in which you mean 'lazy' is an irrelevant one. There's no value in vacuuming yourself rather than getting a robot to do it for you.
    I see what you mean, but students go to school because they have to not because they want to, people expect everything handed to them on a golden platter and don't like to think for themselves. People don't expect to have to work hard but just fall into the perfect job for them and have a poor work ethic (gosh I should right wing!!) and that's my issue with British culture today.
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Thanks for the quote.
    Good luck using it against me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Seems unlikely that such a war will occur, since the ISIS-oriented factions are still a tiny minority, and if that war occurs, it will be short. Brutal, but short.
    I agree that it will be brutal, bloody and short however for the first time in my life to date, i don't see how we avoid it. A lot of Muslims may not back ISIS but they have sympathy or act as apologists for them, further i see no end to kinds of terrorist attacks we are seeing which eventually will cause the population at large to lose patience and when that happens you have a tamer version of 1930's Germany.

Most importantly though i don't see the resolve required to cull them before a direct confrontation happens. What will happen in short order is that eventually the west will pull back under the guise of 'it's not our problem, they are not a domestic threat'. The incompotent local governments will fall one by one and eventually we'll have a semi-functional state.

Like i said, it's hard to see how its not inevitable given that people suffering terrorist attacks every few months won't believe the 'small minority, religion of peace' line forever.

Yeh I suppose so! When we're old though, god knows what age we'll be to consider ourselves old... Though I don't reckon I'll get past 70, so about 50 years for me xD
    We'll get past 100. We've just about entered the age of bio-engineering (genetic modification) and it turns out Dolly's sheep flock clones are still healthy into old age (meaning you can get your organ replaced).

Anybody that can avoid the likes of cancer will probably live to see the next century.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for the quote.
    Should get Nige to do an edition.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Good luck using it against me.
    Your policies are so absurd that I won't need to

Nigel Farage MEP - Can Rakas21 and myself get this in your next manifesto:

(Original post by Aph)
    Oh yes, I totally want to go just to have a gay orgy :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your policies are so absurd that I won't need to

Nigel Farage MEP - Can Rakas21 and myself get this in your next manifesto:
    I meant a July Ah Hoc edition. It was quite funny.

And Q, yes i will write for August. Not sure what on though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree that it will be brutal, bloody and short however for the first time in my life to date, i don't see how we avoid it. A lot of Muslims may not back ISIS but they have sympathy or act as apologists for them, further i see no end to kinds of terrorist attacks we are seeing which eventually will cause the population at large to lose patience and when that happens you have a tamer version of 1930's Germany.

Most importantly though i don't see the resolve required to cull them before a direct confrontation happens. What will happen in short order is that eventually the west will pull back under the guise of 'it's not our problem, they are not a domestic threat'. The incompotent local governments will fall one by one and eventually we'll have a semi-functional state.

Like i said, it's hard to see how its not inevitable given that people suffering terrorist attacks every few months won't believe the 'small minority, religion of peace' line forever.

We'll get past 100. We've just about entered the age of bio-engineering (genetic modification) and it turns out Dolly's sheep flock clones are still healthy into old age (meaning you can get your organ replaced).

Anybody that can avoid the likes of cancer will probably live to see the next century.
    Oh i agree totally . Although remember this , ISIS is a bug the west can stamp on in a second however it's a whole ideology you need to stamp out.

I Think in the next coming years we will see more bloodshed on European soil and the passive tolerance we have towards muslims in general will wear very thin before it snaps and the europeans elect far right government that wants to stop immigration. Something Tommy Robinson said is true ... The Death of a priest will not change government attitudes towards radical islam .. It's the death of thousands that will change the direction of attitude to towards Muslims .... Governments won't solve the issue ... People will

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Share a birthday with the columbine shootings, the rivers of blood speech, Hitler and now the person who was the shooter in Munich (who the police have said loves his birthday as it is also Hitler's birthday). Just a bit of a depressing day. Also had a friend on another forum who died on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Share a birthday with the columbine shootings, the rivers of blood speech, Hitler and now the person who was the shooter in Munich (who the police have said loves his birthday as it is also Hitler's birthday). Just a bit of a depressing day. Also had a friend on another forum who died on the same day.
    There must be something good that happened on that day one year- a Manchester United exit from Europe perhaps? A by-election win for a Green Party candidate?*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Has anybody ever told you that you take things too personally.

ReputationRep:
    Any views on the Scottish named persons scheme, which the Supreme Court has ruled requires changes? Should the Scottish Parliament be recalled before it is expanded, to vote on the changes required? Personally, I feel no-one should be obliged to be a named person if they wish not to be.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.