Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    By remarking or retaking?
    remarking... They havent been cashed in yet but i am upset as worked really hard also will it be very hard for me to get A*/As next year with them grades thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilushlol)
    Hi there! First of all congratulations on those awesome results!

I did Graphics, Photography, Maths and Business Studies in AS and got ABBC. I was disappointed at first as I really wanted an A in Graphics and Photography, but got B in both and meant even more hard work for me in Year 13. I recieved A for Maths and C for business which i was also extremely disappointed about. After a lot of discussion and frustration I decided to take all 4 subjects for Year 13. I applied to take architecture and my unis (UCL, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Nottingham Trent and Brighton) wanted a wide range of subjects and as Graphics and Photography fall into 'Art nd Design' I had to do Business also to try and win their hearts. And it worked! However, now I had two heavy coursework subjects, and business which i really wanted to jump up a grade on. Honestly speaking, it's hard. Its physically and mentally straining. However the fact that i enjoyed art subjects a lot I wasnt as frustrated with the work load and I naturally took the initiative to go HAM at both art subjects in the hopes of getting an A. Not only workload but keeping up with UMS calculations, seeing how many points i need to get an A etc really plays with your head. I can say that Year 13 was and will be the most stressful year of my life for the near future. My main source of motivation was my interest for arts and tje fact that i didnt do so well last year. So my advice would be, if you really have to, do it or if you have a deep interest in those subjects do it and organise yourself from the start of the year. See what subjects require more of your time and what subjects may need more preperation for revision. For your subjects i'd say revising and preparing for exams is key. You gotta start early. All the hard work finally paid off and I got 2 A*s for Graphics and Photography, and A for Maths and a B for Business Studies (after getting A in both papers this year; i got a B and a D for both papers last year). If you put in the work and are 100% determined, you will see the results.

I'm going University of Kent to study Architecture as UCL rejected me 😂

I hope this helps! Good luck for next year!
    Thank you! I've had a little time to think about it, talk with friends/family, etc... As much as I love English Lit (the subject I'm thinking of dropping), I'm probably going to still drop it. There's a massive chunk of coursework to do (that I haven't yet started due to preoccupation with an EPQ), and, alongside this, as I just mentioned, I'm doing an EPQ... I just get the impression it'll be too much work, and I'll mess up this year, which is the last thing I want T_T

Thank you so much for your reply, well done for your hard work, too!! It sounds like it genuinely paid off for you^^ Hope you have an awesome time at Kent!! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    it shows 'A*' as a means of showing the 90% thereashold as its easier to understand.
    I understand that for the overall grades, but this is just the one paper. I know I didn't get an overall A*, I just don't understand why what I have on my results sheet isn't the same as what's on AQA's website. Who would I contact about this, my school, or should I email the exam board?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    remarking... They havent been cashed in yet but i am upset as worked really hard also will it be very hard for me to get A*/As next year with them grades thanks
    You're just one or two marks away from an A here, why would it be hard for you to get As or A*s next year? It sounds like you're very much on the right track!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely try :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you don't want to study english don't go to SOAS.

Have you looked elsewhere for law clearing places?
    I have but don't really like the uni's
    Plus I have to stay in London
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    I understand that for the overall grades, but this is just the one paper. I know I didn't get an overall A*, I just don't understand why what I have on my results sheet isn't the same as what's on AQA's website. Who would I contact about this, my school, or should I email the exam board?
    That's what I just explained to you!!! A* isn't a module grade, your sheat isn't wrong. The mark scheme shows A* because it makes its easier for candidates to spot and identity not because it's the A* module grade because that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    You're just one or two marks away from an A here, why would it be hard for you to get As or A*s next year? It sounds like you're very much on the right track!
    I got B and Cs at gcse so just really trying to get high grades. However, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering what cambridge policy on AS UMS averages is with the new linear A levels, got my AS results today and only 2 of the 4 have a UMS score so will they look at the average of those 2 or do it differently? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    You're definitely not the only one who seemed to have been offered English by SOAS when you wanted to do Law. If you're not going to enjoy English, don't sign up to it. You're paying £9k a year for tuition fees so if you're going to not like it absolutely don't do it.
    That's true
    But then there's the argument...what makes you think they will take me next year
    Incase they reject me

ReputationRep:
    got AAC, idk how to feel
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I have but don't really like the uni's
    Plus I have to stay in London
    I'm not a huge fan of private universities but http://www.law.ac.uk/clearing/ is one exception. Their London LLB is in clearing and they have the industry contacts that offer a good advantage.

It isn't your typical university experience but it's worth considering.

SOAS *do* accept transfer applications into year 2 of their LLB. There's no guarantee that you'd be able to swap universities in year 2 but you'd have a stronger chance than you would on a BA English course.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You hit the A* requirement for the module but the actual A* grade only exists for the full qualification. It's saying that this module meets the requirement you needed to hit to get the A*.

That's true
    But then there's the argument...what makes you think they will take me next year
    Incase they reject me
    They may not take you next year - you may have to look elsewhere or assess your options that way but there's no point taking a course you're not sure about.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I got B and Cs at gcse so just really trying to get high grades. However, thanks
    No problem. If you're showing progress there's really nothing to worry about

That's true
    Incase they reject me
    Why would they though? If you become an A/A* student they won't discount you just because you've taken another year. Lots of top Russell Groups like Warwick are more than happy to give offers to people who've taken another year to improve their grades.

But the point still stands. It's far worse spending £9000 every year on something you don't want to do. You'd be putting yourself through at least three years of your life doing something you're not sure about. It just doesn't make sense.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran_)
    got AAC, idk how to feel
    Did you get into university?

ReputationRep:

I'm 99.9% sure this is because a single paper cannot be graded A*
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    got AAC, idk how to feel
    They're pretty amazing grades to be honest . I'd take them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Did you get into university?
    yep to study maths and compsci at QMUL
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    yep to study maths and compsci at QMUL
    Awesome, congratulations! I hope you have a great time there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    You hit the A* requirement for the module but the actual A* grade only exists for the full qualification. It's saying that this module meets the requirement you needed to hit to get the A*.

They may not take you next year - you may have to look elsewhere or assess your options that way but there's no point taking a course you're not sure about.
    That's true
    Need to think this through

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.