Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do some reading on the bus...I then plan to do more but it almost never happens unless made bearable by having a meal with Friends and then do a bit f work before drinking or whatever.

I feel like I should do more though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    You're clearly a genius...
    Nah, I'm just a first year surrounded by keenos. I try to work smart not hard, anyway. People seem to spend hours writing up their notes. Don't get that at all.

ReputationRep:
    I have 12 days to write a 1/3 of my dissertation for my lab supervisor. I wish I knew more about Drosophila.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    I have 12 days to write a 1/3 of my dissertation for my lab supervisor. I wish I knew more about Drosophila.
    What do you need to know? I might be able to find someone who knows a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    urgh, really can't be arsed to work today!
    Ditto even though I have a massive assignment to do and my surgery assessment later on this week. I havent even got up properly yet!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Managed to fail the CR Met Loco spotter exam :sigh:

Have to know wait to find out if the written paper drags that module mark up over 50% :erm:

This does not bode well for the next exam which'll be B+B, HD..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

Have to know wait to find out if the written paper drags that module mark up over 50% :erm:

:console:

Hope everything goes well :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Bit worried about my semester 1 results. They were just on average for the year. I, normally, wouldn't be worried about them in general but thinking ahead, I'd like to do an external intercalated year at a competitive uni so on reflection I feel bad for not working as hard. :erm: Does anyone have any advice? Obviously, I'm going to try and get better results for my end of year.

:crazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    What do you need to know? I might be able to find someone who knows a bit.
    I'm accumulating knowledge from the papers I'm reading but it's taking a long time. If I get stuck with anything I'll drop you a PM about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Bit worried about my semester 1 results. They were just on average for the year. I, normally, wouldn't be worried about them in general but thinking ahead, I'd like to do an external intercalated year at a competitive uni so on reflection I feel bad for not working as hard. :erm: Does anyone have any advice? Obviously, I'm going to try and get better results for my end of year.

:crazy:
    I wouldn't worry. I got awful January results in first year (average in one module and barely scrapped a pass in the other) and still got into Barts and Imperial for iBSc. If you can write it off as a one-off and not reflective of your actual abilities then it isn't a problem, and it's almost expected that first semester isn't necessarily an accurate predictor as you're still adapting to being at uni and often having to learn in a different way.

ReputationRep:

I have no idea what you just said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    He goes to Barts. You won't.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    :console:

Hope everything goes well :yy:
    Cheers man.

Few weeks and we'll see :erm:
    Spotter exams are basically take a look at this pic and select what it is/what condition it indicates.

CR Met Loco were the topics being examined: Cardiorespiratory, metabolism, locomotor

Next exam will be on brain and behaviour, and human development... which will probably be harder :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers man.

Few weeks and we'll see :erm:

Spotter exams are basically take a look at this pic and select what it is/what condition it indicates.

CR Met Loco were the topics being examined: Cardiorespiratory, metabolism, locomotor

Next exam will be on brain and behaviour, and human development... which will probably be harder :erm:
    Good luck, know its hard but try not to think about the one that's gone but concentrate on the exam that's coming up.

If you do well in the next one - do you still need to resit the other spotter exam?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Are we talking like a photograph indicating a general inspection of a patient or something like histology slides?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've done any 'work' outside of lectures since I got here. Especially not on the weekend. Everyone else is stressing like crazy. Dunno why.

By 'work' I mean doing outside reading, writing up notes, revising old material. If something interests me or I need to clarify something I'll quickly look it up, but other than that I haven't felt like I need to yet. :dontknow:
    Mate, this is me. But I'm a terrible student when it comes to written exams. OSCEs were easy, but for the most part I am a complete suicidal wreck near exam time because I don't do work and start revision too late. I usually fail exams the first attempt and scrape by the resits. This doesn't bode well for you, unless you are very bright.

The thing is, for face-time stuff with seniors, I'm good. I prepare for tutorials and topics before hand. I can present and speak confidently so tend to sound better than I really am. So for OSCEs, presentations and interviews I'm fine. I just don't do written exams well.

But seriously, don't get too relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters where on the author continuum you are if it's a publication, as long as your name's on the paper and it gets you a pubmed ID. Posters I think, unless you present, you need to be the first author to get any credit.
    Thank you, happy to hear that!

(Original post by John Locke)
    but it's extremely rare for nobody to have any idea, it's very medicine to stop at 'mechanism unknown' i think. rather that is the point at which it actually gets interesting both scientifically and therapeutically.
    Its like that atm with my iBSc, everytime we get a new result it's like the question has changed. And then it opens up 4 more questions. (Guess thats where you add the 'further work' paragraph...).

Its interesting definitely and I find the whole delving into a new mechanism exciting, but its really frustrating when things don't correlate.

Right back to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Mate, this is me. But I'm a terrible student when it comes to written exams. OSCEs were easy, but for the most part I am a complete suicidal wreck near exam time because I don't do work and start revision too late. I usually fail exams the first attempt and scrape by the resits. This doesn't bode well for you, unless you are very bright.

The thing is, for face-time stuff with seniors, I'm good. I prepare for tutorials and topics before hand. I can present and speak confidently so tend to sound better than I really am. So for OSCEs, presentations and interviews I'm fine. I just don't do written exams well.

But seriously, don't get too relaxed.
    Fair enough. I'm happy to put the work in when I feel as though the material isn't sinking in, but I just don't have that pressure yet. Got 8/8 in my end of semester exams (top 16%) which I was pretty pleased about considering I spent xmas getting pissed abroad. I think I will up it a gear when the time comes though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    He goes to Barts. You won't.
    But we must speak and equally confusing language, when talking about our courses. Our medical schools have invented new names for OSCES and other clinical examinations.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Good luck, know its hard but try not to think about the one that's gone but concentrate on the exam that's coming up.

If you do well in the next one - do you still need to resit the other spotter exam?
    Cheers, thankfully that was the end of that set of modules so actually need to cover the modules before the next exam.. so got another 8 weeks or so until the next one

If I do well I should be fine and won't need to resit anything, I was just hoping to do well in that to take some of the pressure off later on in the year.

Everything should work out fine.. I just didn't think I'd failed that exam

Oh ok. Are we talking like a photograph indicating a general inspection of a patient or something like histology slides?
    All sorts, you might get a photo of a prosection to test your anatomy knowledge etc, or could be a blood film and identify the type of anaemia, or a histological slide of the gut and say where it is/abnormalities etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.