Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Share a birthday with the columbine shootings, the rivers of blood speech, Hitler and now the person who was the shooter in Munich (who the police have said loves his birthday as it is also Hitler's birthday). Just a bit of a depressing day. Also had a friend on another forum who died on the same day.
    At least your birthday isn't the 13th, which is supposed to be unlucky :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Any views on the Scottish named persons scheme, which the Supreme Court has ruled requires changes? Should the Scottish Parliament be recalled before it is expanded, to vote on the changes required? Personally, I feel no-one should be obliged to be a named person if they wish not to be.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's stupid and shouldn't be a blanket thing, only where the parents are clearly dangerous, and I don't mean not rabid SNP supporters

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Disappointing to see 10% of people support the replacement of Vanguard and scrapping of Trident itself, they don't seem to realise that would mean £20-30bn spent on useless subs that would probably just be sold for scrap, bringing in maybe half a million or so, a fee years later. I suppose we could try selling them to the French.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a bitter twist of irony, my birthday occurs on the same day that British troops were deployed in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Disappointing to see 10% of people support the replacement of Vanguard and scrapping of Trident itself, they don't seem to realise that would mean £20-30bn spent on useless subs that would probably just be sold for scrap, bringing in maybe half a million or so, a fee years later. I suppose we could try selling them to the French.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right, much better to spunk £205bn on useless subs instead.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    You're right, much better to spunk £205bn on useless subs instead.
    Except that is exactly what the people who want to replace vanguard alone want, or did you not bother reading and comprehending before writing? And £205 is a highly disingenuous figure, nearly double the actual lifetime projections, even if we factor in the likely lifetime extension.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine is the anniversary of the execution of Thomas More.

ReputationRep:
    Except that is exactly what the people who want to replace vanguard alone want, or did you not bother reading and comprehending before writing? And £205 is a highly disingenuous figure, nearly double the actual lifetime projections, even if we factor in the likely lifetime extension.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Point being that their suggestion would work out cheaper in fact than Trident, which since its deterrence is speculative. Unless replacing the Vanguard would work out more expensive than Trident all in?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Point being that their suggestion would work out cheaper in fact than Trident, which since its deterrence is speculative. Unless replacing the Vanguard would work out more expensive than Trident all in?
    The deterrence is so speculative that we had a 43 year long cold war between nuclear armed states and a 25 year extension to that coldness

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The deterrence is so speculative that we had a 43 year long cold war between nuclear armed states and a 25 year extension to that coldness

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Proving a negative?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same birthday as Toby Blair.

ReputationRep:
    Any views on the Scottish named persons scheme, which the Supreme Court has ruled requires changes? Should the Scottish Parliament be recalled before it is expanded, to vote on the changes required? Personally, I feel no-one should be obliged to be a named person if they wish not to be.
    I can understand the good intentions, but I just don't understand how it would be feasible?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    We share a birthday IIRC, don't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Has anybody ever told you that you take things too personally.
    People have made it personal over the years, I am sure you can imagine a bunch of 14 year olds reacting to their classmate shares a birthday with Hitler wasn't exactly a "oh that's kinda cool I guess" reaction.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    That is true at least yeah

There must be something good that happened on that day one year- a Manchester United exit from Europe perhaps? A by-election win for a Green Party candidate?*

I share it with some saint nobody has ever heard of and Shay Given which is cool I guess.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    People have made it personal over the years, I am sure you can imagine a bunch of 14 year olds reacting to their classmate shares a birthday with Hitler wasn't exactly a "oh that's kinda cool I guess" reaction.

That is true at least yeah

I share it with some saint nobody has ever heard of and Shay Given which is cool I guess.
    Are you still 14 years old...? Lots of **** happens when people are younger, a lot of people just get over it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Are you still 14 years old...? Lots of **** happens when people are younger, a lot of people just get over it...
    Let me rephase that, it started when I was 14 and never really stopped, it's normally one of the first things people who have studied (GCSE) history mention when they hear my birthday, and they tend to make a deal out of it, it just kinda sucks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Let me rephase that, it started when I was 14 and never really stopped, it's normally one of the first things people who have studied (GCSE) history mention when they hear my birthday, and they tend to make a deal out of it, it just kinda sucks.
    And... I really don't get why you care...

ReputationRep:
    Well, working in university admin, I can tell why admin departments tend to be idiotic.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    We share a birthday IIRC, don't we?
    We do indeed :yes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With Q2 data now in it looks like US GDP growth over the past 4 quarters has fallen to ~1.4% vs ~2.2% for the UK.

First time since 2008 that i think Eurozone growth (1.6%) is faster than the US.*

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.