Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    I understand that for the overall grades, but this is just the one paper. I know I didn't get an overall A*, I just don't understand why what I have on my results sheet isn't the same as what's on AQA's website. Who would I contact about this, my school, or should I email the exam board?
    That's what I just explained to you!!! A* isn't a module grade, your sheat isn't wrong. The mark scheme shows A* because it makes its easier for candidates to spot and identity not because it's the A* module grade because that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    You're just one or two marks away from an A here, why would it be hard for you to get As or A*s next year? It sounds like you're very much on the right track!
    I got B and Cs at gcse so just really trying to get high grades. However, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering what cambridge policy on AS UMS averages is with the new linear A levels, got my AS results today and only 2 of the 4 have a UMS score so will they look at the average of those 2 or do it differently? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely not the only one who seemed to have been offered English by SOAS when you wanted to do Law. If you're not going to enjoy English, don't sign up to it. You're paying £9k a year for tuition fees so if you're going to not like it absolutely don't do it.
    That's true
    But then there's the argument...what makes you think they will take me next year
    Incase they reject me

ReputationRep:
    got AAC, idk how to feel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I have but don't really like the uni's
    Plus I have to stay in London
    I'm not a huge fan of private universities but http://www.law.ac.uk/clearing/ is one exception. Their London LLB is in clearing and they have the industry contacts that offer a good advantage.

It isn't your typical university experience but it's worth considering.

SOAS *do* accept transfer applications into year 2 of their LLB. There's no guarantee that you'd be able to swap universities in year 2 but you'd have a stronger chance than you would on a BA English course.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that for the overall grades, but this is just the one paper. I know I didn't get an overall A*, I just don't understand why what I have on my results sheet isn't the same as what's on AQA's website. Who would I contact about this, my school, or should I email the exam board?
    You hit the A* requirement for the module but the actual A* grade only exists for the full qualification. It's saying that this module meets the requirement you needed to hit to get the A*.

That's true
    But then there's the argument...what makes you think they will take me next year
    Incase they reject me
    They may not take you next year - you may have to look elsewhere or assess your options that way but there's no point taking a course you're not sure about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    I got B and Cs at gcse so just really trying to get high grades. However, thanks
    No problem. If you're showing progress there's really nothing to worry about

That's true
    Incase they reject me
    Why would they though? If you become an A/A* student they won't discount you just because you've taken another year. Lots of top Russell Groups like Warwick are more than happy to give offers to people who've taken another year to improve their grades.

But the point still stands. It's far worse spending £9000 every year on something you don't want to do. You'd be putting yourself through at least three years of your life doing something you're not sure about. It just doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran_)
    got AAC, idk how to feel
    Did you get into university?

ReputationRep:

I'm 99.9% sure this is because a single paper cannot be graded A*

ReputationRep:
    got AAC, idk how to feel
    They're pretty amazing grades to be honest . I'd take them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Did you get into university?
    yep to study maths and compsci at QMUL

ReputationRep:
    yep to study maths and compsci at QMUL
    Awesome, congratulations! I hope you have a great time there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    You hit the A* requirement for the module but the actual A* grade only exists for the full qualification. It's saying that this module meets the requirement you needed to hit to get the A*.

They may not take you next year - you may have to look elsewhere or assess your options that way but there's no point taking a course you're not sure about.
    That's true
    Need to think this through

ReputationRep:
    That's true
    Need to think this through
    Yep. You do. Whatever choice you make you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    No problem. If you're showing progress there's really nothing to worry about

Why would they though? If you become an A/A* student they won't discount you just because you've taken another year. Lots of top Russell Groups like Warwick are more than happy to give offers to people who've taken another year to improve their grades.

But the point still stands. It's far worse spending £9000 every year on something you don't want to do. You'd be putting yourself through at least three years of your life doing something you're not sure about. It just doesn't make sense.
    Thank you so much for your advice. Going to think it through
    Either go Brunel and try and transfer for second year
    Or take a year out and retake to try and get A*s

ReputationRep:
    what's this about nandos giving free sides out ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'm not a huge fan of private universities but http://www.law.ac.uk/clearing/ is one exception. Their London LLB is in clearing and they have the industry contacts that offer a good advantage.

It isn't your typical university experience but it's worth considering.

SOAS *do* accept transfer applications into year 2 of their LLB. There's no guarantee that you'd be able to swap universities in year 2 but you'd have a stronger chance than you would on a BA English course.
    Exactly no guarantees
    I'm probably going to retake tbh because I really want to go to SOAS
    Thing is I'm not even sure I can retake with the new alevel changes

ReputationRep:
    Still no news from my firm choice...
    The waiting game sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badaman)
    Still no news from my firm choice...
    The waiting game sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you pestered them?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.