Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    I didn't really understand why we allowed Wolfsburg to hijack the deal last summer :/ he would have been good for us. Thing with Scheiderlin is that 1. He's more defensive out of the three and has that real presence and 2. He'll compliment Ramsey more, and'll allow him to burst forward as he does

Also, he has prem experience so he can literally hit the ground running

I was wondering what everyone would think if these were Arsenals summer signings:

Sanchez
    Debuchy
    Scheiderlin
    A cover GK
    A striker/rotation striker

Bearing in mind we got Walcott, Ox, potentially Campbell and.. As much as it makes me laugh to say it but Diaby aswell (hoping this time all injuries are behind him) all returning from injury?
    If we get the players you've mentioned, we can't really complain. Wenger would have addressed the areas which needed addressing. Of course if Vermaelen does leave, we'll also need a CB. And let's hope the deals are done before the season starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think Damian Martinez has a shot at being number two/Wojciech's understudy, if that doesn't work out there's still Matt Macey and Dejan Iliev

I wonder how the media would react if all four participants of this "Emirates Cup" become Champions League group rivals just weeks later? (I know it won't happen this year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    If we get the players you've mentioned, we can't really complain. Wenger would have addressed the areas which needed addressing. Of course if Vermaelen does leave, we'll also need a CB. And let's hope the deals are done before the season starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, because from last season, I don't think we need a significant amount of talent.. We need to adress the injury situation (which has been done so) and inject a bit more pace into our attack which would naturally be restored with walcotts return.. And would be added to with the arrival of Sanchez & Campbell.

So, if Verm leaves then we'll need to add a CB too but apart from that I think it'll be a good summer if we get the above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Yes, because from last season, I don't think we need a significant amount of talent.. We need to adress the injury situation (which has been done so) and inject a bit more pace into our attack which would naturally be restored with walcotts return.. And would be added to with the arrival of Sanchez & Campbell.

So, if Verm leaves then we'll need to add a CB too but apart from that I think it'll be a good summer if we get the above
    I doubt we'll be seeing Campbell in an Arsenal shirt this season - he'll more than likely be sent out on loan again.

Quite happy about the Debuchy talk - solid RB, and £10m~ is a fair price.

If we can wrap up Sanchez, bring in a DM (Khedira's been mentioned a fair bit), a GK and CB if TV5 leaves, we'll have done some excellent work.

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Ramsey DM
    Walcott Ozil OX
    Sanchez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    I doubt we'll be seeing Campbell in an Arsenal shirt this season - he'll more than likely be sent out on loan again.

Quite happy about the Debuchy talk - solid RB, and £10m~ is a fair price.

If we can wrap up Sanchez, bring in a DM (Khedira's been mentioned a fair bit), a GK and CB if TV5 leaves, we'll have done some excellent work.

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Ramsey DM
    Walcott Ozil OX
    Sanchez
    As much as I want it to happen, I don't think Ox will be played on the left.

For some reason, Wenger doesn't do that anymore.. I remember he did a few times, namely when we trashed I think soton 6-0? And he was excellent then :/ but Wenger sees him playing in the centre and that's where I think the Ox would like to play too :/ sad really, he's an excellent winger.

Also, I have a feeling Sanchez may be put on the left? So..

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Ramsey Schiederlin/Khadera
    Walcott Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud

Maybe, for rotation he may be played up top?

ReputationRep:
    If we do miss out on Sanchez (which wouldn't be surprising) who would you like to see? Who even is there? I'm not too keen on Mandzukic tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shiiit we're close to the next thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)

For some reason, Wenger doesn't do that anymore.. I remember he did a few times, namely when we trashed I think soton 6-0? And he was excellent then :/ but Wenger sees him playing in the centre and that's where I think the Ox would like to play too :/ sad really, he's an excellent winger.

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Walcott Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud

That MF looks awesome, we'll tear some teams up in the way Liverpool did last season. If only we had someone more ruthless and better than Giroud up top...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Shiiit we're close to the next thread
    Haha! Even the off-season hasn't stopped us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips)
    We don't need a proper DM who sits deep and just protects the back four. A super Arteta would be good enough, Khedira could easily play that role. Khedira can do a good job at DM if he is asked to, he's done it many times for Madrid and earlier in his career. He would be a solid addition to the team and very useful for counter attacking.
    I disagree personally. If your gonna have a fairly weak team around the midfield area (strength wise) need somebody who is purely there to break up play forcefully. Also considering your likely to play a 4-2-3-1 formation and the DM is next to Ramsey/Wilshere who both go forward, having someone like Khedira will just mean your defence is exposed. Don't think counter attacking is even the problem tbh considering you got Walcott, Ozil and Chamberlain, and you guys like to control possession anyway so your game is more focused on build up play towards the oppositions goal.

Why did Gustavo go to Wolsfburg? Did you guys just not go in for him or something? Seems baffling really he went on the cheap and was a player that you needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mandzukic would've been a great acquisition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Walcott Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud

The problem with that line up, and that is ignoring the fact I don't think you'll get Sanchez or Khedira personally (although you have a decent shout with Sanchez), that will rarely be an available 11 IMO.

You need alot more depth because I think Ramsey and Walcott will be out for large periods injured. It's something I think you need to be prepared for.

Like with United, there has got to be preparation and acceptance that out of Jones Evans and Smalling, there will be a hell of a lot of periods of the season spent on the side line.

Also lacks that world class 30+ goals a season striker.

Whether Wenger will spend the 20 million for a DM, 25 million + for Sanchez and another 20-30 million on top for a striker remains to be seen.

But that is what you need to do IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)

I think he'd be foolish to overlook Walcott - Sanchez - OX with Ozil behind, as all three players have an absurd amount of pace, ergo we would tear teams apart if we draw them in and hit them on the counter.

But yeah, I agree: it's optimistic and we'll more than likely have to settle for Giroud up front with Walcott and Sanchez on the wings.

Szcz
    Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
    Walcott Ozil Sanchez
    Giroud

I'd rather Khedira than Schneiderlin tbh. Taller, stronger, more experience and German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)
    I disagree personally. If your gonna have a fairly weak team around the midfield area (strength wise) need somebody who is purely there to break up play forcefully. Also considering your likely to play a 4-2-3-1 formation and the DM is next to Ramsey/Wilshere who both go forward, having someone like Khedira will just mean your defence is exposed. Don't think counter attacking is even the problem tbh considering you got Walcott, Ozil and Chamberlain, and you guys like to control possession anyway so your game is more focused on build up play towards the oppositions goal.

Why did Gustavo go to Wolsfburg? Did you guys just not go in for him or something? Seems baffling really he went on the cheap and was a player that you needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think he picked Wolfsburg due to the WC in order to have a guaranteed starting spot weekly tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Gustavo went to Wolfsburg because we weren't in for him.

(Original post by hayles101)
    The problem with that line up, and that is ignoring the fact I don't think you'll get Sanchez or Khedira personally (although you have a decent shout with Sanchez), that will rarely be an available 11 IMO.

You need alot more depth because I think Ramsey and Walcott will be out for large periods injured. It's something I think you need to be prepared for.

Like with United, there has got to be preparation and acceptance that out of Jones Evans and Smalling, there will be a hell of a lot of periods of the season spent on the side line.

Whether Wenger will spend the 20 million for a DM, 25 million + for Sanchez and another 20-30 million on top for a striker remains to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depth wise, we're okay. For the 2 pivot roles, we got wilshere, arteta, flamini and Ramsey. Diaby????? Add another name to that, that's plentiful.

For the 3 attacking midfield, we've got tommy, ozil, santi, theo, ox, poldi, Campbell, serge.

Depth wise were fine in midfield. To be caught out, it'll have to be due to terrible management by arsene and medical team or the gods against you- you can't really plan for that.

Just need a better arteta. Khedira or schneiderlin would be fine by me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FKLW)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, that "cheap" wasn't cheap enough for Wenger and/or the board. I remember he even said he would be happy to join us

Posted from TSR Mobile

That MF looks awesome, we'll tear some teams up in the way Liverpool did last season. If only we had someone more ruthless and better than Giroud up top...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Giroud got 20+ goals last season so, if worst comes to worst and we DONT go a better striker then I'm not really too concerned, especially given that we're bound to get goals from Walcott, Sanchez & Ramsey.. providing they stay fit haha. Well, signing a new fitness coach may be the best signing of the summer if he can keep them out for minimal time - but knowing our luck its just peak =\

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only thing im worried about is CB depth atm, will need 2 CBs if Verm leaves (think its highly unlikely though). We still have Wilshere/Ox/Flamini/Arteta/Cazorla/Rosicky/Diaby/Gnabry/Podolski for Wing and Midfield depth which is alright, hopefully our injury record improves but I think we have adequate backup. What makes you think Ramsey/Walcott will be injured for long periods?

But United haven't got a CB yet?

Nah, I've said this before but our team is set up so that recently Giroud has been the one to lay off other players and allow the wings and midfield to get more involved so the goals are shared. Its nice to have a more clinical striker but Giroud is still useful in our set up, i.e if we get someone like Remy I expect him to play off other players rather than them playing off him if that makes sense.

I'm confident Wenger will pull off something unexpected this window but idk whether it will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what Western European teams were smoking when zenit signed garay for 2.5m. That's pennies for a decent player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's all this about Valbuena joining West Ham? I don't think Bielsa at Marseille rates him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Gustavo went to Wolfsburg because we weren't in for him.

Depth wise, we're okay. For the 2 pivot roles, we got wilshere, arteta, flamini and Ramsey. Diaby????? Add another name to that, that's plentiful.

For the 3 attacking midfield, we've got tommy, ozil, santi, theo, ox, poldi, Campbell, serge.

Depth wise were fine in midfield. To be caught out, it'll have to be due to terrible management by arsene and medical team or the gods against you- you can't really plan for that.

Just need a better arteta. Khedira and schneiderlin would be fine by me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with that, maybe I explained what I mean wrong. You do have depth in that you have plenty of back up players, but if you have a lot of injuries your playing your ideal starting XI less and less.

I think if Ramsey started every PL game next season that would be amazing for you, I just sadly don't think he will be able to last more than 2/3 of the season

It depends how you cope when you have Arteta, Flamini, Diaby in that role instead of Ramsey.

And if you have Campbell instead of Giroud. Wilshere is another extremely injury prone player I wouldn't want to rely too heavily on.

The point of all that was, I think once again injuries will have a big deciding factor on where you finish in the league. Which is the case with every teams but seems to affect Arsenal so much more. With the likes of Ramsey staying fit the entire season, a new DM & striker and you may compete for the title. But it's a massive IF in terms are players staying injury free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.