Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I spend three and a half hours getting home from Colchester (****ing public transport) only to find our heating is broken and I have to bust out an all nighter to finish that presentation IN THE FREEZING ****ING COLD.

**** MY LIFE.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gozatron)
    THIS WEEK? :lolwut:
    I hvnt submitted my gp essay as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Lucky you - this year college shaved a month off dissertation time, so everything has to be in by end of March
    Same here, but otoh at least it means more time for revision

(read: more time to read through notes for the first time :mute:)

(Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)

Also this might help for those trying to analyse papers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    very funny

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know much about plastics and/ or wound closure?

What should someone use to close a small 2 cm facial laceration on the skin overlying the maxilla?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Does anyone know much about plastics and/ or wound closure?

What should someone use to close a small 2 cm facial laceration on the skin overlying the maxilla?
    Glue or 6/0 nylon stiches.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wish I'd done the traditional iBSc with exams, because looking at criteria to get a 1st class Hons and we need to make a significant contribution to the field and show innovation as ours is a full year of research.

What does that even mean?!

I'm beginning to develop a hate/love relationship with research and right now I'm towards the hate side of the spectrum.

All the best with exams for those that have them, I feel for you guys!
    It does seem that you can coast through and get a 2.1 but a 1st requires major major effort. The difference between 59.4% and 69.5% is massive.

The thing about research that has pissed me off this week is that even if I had any decent data, I don't have any hope of presenting it anywhere this year as all the abstract deadlines seem to have fallen in January :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Glue or 6/0 nylon stiches.
    Thanks dude. I got two cuts back in October and both were glued in the ED by a nurse practioner. One in the eyebrow and another as described above. Not terribly happy with how the one below my eye has turned out - was glued ( not brilliantly I think ) and the scar has became quite chunky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I have done 3 essays in my entire degree. 3 too many imo
    I'm struggling to think what essays you would've done...? I know the integrated/patient thing at the end of year 2 had an essay, but what else is there? Anyway, for this iBSc, I've had to write 3 essays, 2 critical appraisals and an assessed journal club. And though I hate essays, it was only basically every 5 weeks which isn't bad really.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wish I'd done the traditional iBSc with exams, because looking at criteria to get a 1st class Hons and we need to make a significant contribution to the field and show innovation as ours is a full year of research.

What does that even mean?!

I'm beginning to develop a hate/love relationship with research and right now I'm towards the hate side of the spectrum.

All the best with exams for those that have them, I feel for you guys!

Also this might help for those trying to analyse papers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How you finding your BSC at leicester? I can't decide whether to stay here and do one next year, or at another medical school:confused:

ReputationRep:
    BOOM. Presentation is complete. Spent a grand total of about two hours on it. Seems enough for a 10 minute presentation, right?

ReputationRep:
    Abstract submitted. Hopefully it'll get accepted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    BOOM. Presentation is complete. Spent a grand total of about two hours on it. Seems enough for a 10 minute presentation, right?
    I did the same for a presentation for journal club. Got a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone going to the technology in medicine conference? http://www.asit.org/resources/medica..._Events/TiMS11 I think theres another day on the 18th run by their surg soc...

ReputationRep:
    is anyone going to the technology in medicine conference? http://www.asit.org/resources/medica..._Events/TiMS11 I think theres another day on the 18th run by their surg soc...
    Looks really interesting, that week is when all my deadlines are though so i'll have to miss it

ReputationRep:
    Having an absolute mare constructing my spreadsheet for data entry for my current elective project / audit.

Banging my head against a brick wall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Journal club? What on earth is like?

Some people I've spoken to have busted out like 12 hour seshs on this ****. It only took me two hours because I kept going on reddit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Journal club? What on earth is like?

Some people I've spoken to have busted out like 12 hour seshs on this ****. It only took me two hours because I kept going on reddit.
    It wasn't a real hospital/medics journal club. But it was in front of two other academics who're leading that course module, and then some others from my course.

I finally got a GPU which is due to come just when I start my project, can forget my BSc now.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, yes please. That looks quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    My face when taking blood from a real patient for the first time today.

My face when asked to cannulate an incoming major trauma.

My face when asked to interpret an ECG by a nurse who mistook me for a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    It does seem that you can coast through and get a 2.1 but a 1st requires major major effort. The difference between 59.4% and 69.5% is massive.

The thing about research that has pissed me off this week is that even if I had any decent data, I don't have any hope of presenting it anywhere this year as all the abstract deadlines seem to have fallen in January :sigh:
    Same, absolutely agree with the deadlines for abstracts etc. I have the same problem as I have a 6 week time point between patient samples and need both to compare (as they are pre and post radiotherapy). Theres the ISCOMs conference I'm thinking of submitting to (think its this Friday - so if anyone reading it is interested?) and I've only got about 9 patient results. But looked at last years prize winner... and one of their p values was 0.049 which is incredibly close to accepting null hypothesis. My supervisor won't even let us submit any result like that, hes said only go for something less than 0.01 but if they've gotten a prize... then I'm going to go for it too. (Well maybe not for the more reknowned journals/conferences but for student stuff - will try and submit most results).

I'm really annoyed now as I didn't want anything lower than a 1st class hons, and I've been working weekends and evenings... but its not my fault if I haven't had any ground breaking results I've put the the work in. Gah. Ah well supervisor said I have time to do one more assay so we'll discuss it this Friday with research team, and hopefully he'll accept one of my more exotic ideas... might bring cake for that meeting to sweeten the deal.

(Original post by _Andrew_)
    How you finding your BSC at leicester? I can't decide whether to stay here and do one next year, or at another medical school:confused:
    This is going to require a long answer so here goes *deep breath*

Spoiler:
    Show

Firstly it depends on where you want to be in 10 years and do a project related to that. This doesn't mean that if you do change your mind in a year or two, that you can't go into another speciality etc. Doing an iBSc is brilliant and its mostly the skills that you pick up that are important than perhaps the subject matter. Perhaps do a PhD post Medicine to really prove that you're dedicated to something like renal or cardiovascular medicine (as those posts are more competitive).

Secondly do you know much about Leicester iBSc schemes - we have two. Scheme A is the traditonal structure which is the same as intercalating externally. But Scheme B is the iBSc you can only do at your home university. This is a full year of research, no lectures/tutorials/exams. And it can be a full year of lab work or split between the clinical and lab work or maybe just 100% clinical. But the supervisors only take on one (or sometimes two) students per project and I think about 5 people apply for one. But again, its only competition from other internally intercalating medics so not that bad tbh.

You might prefer this for many reasons (these are some of mine) - you get to concentrate on one mechanism rather than a subject (like physiology) so you'll only look at something like the effect of nitric oxide signalling in cardiac tissue in ischamic pre-conditioning. This means you can geek out and learn intricacies about one mechanism. Also better chance of getting published/posters/presentations etc as you're dedicating a whole year to full time research.

I did it because I really want to go into research after Medicine, and wanted to take this opportunity to see if research really is for me. And rather than split lectures and lab work - I kinda wanted to immerse myself in pure labwork as if this is the only year I ever do research - then I sort of want to go all out.

Looking back on hows it been so far, I've enjoyed it a lot and would definitely do it again. Its great as you learn so many skills such as looking at things analytically - I'd say my thought process has changed a lot, and you're also a lot more independant. And also you get to make decisions which is odd at first because of the medic in you thinks 'wait are you really asking for my opinion' which I really like as this is your project and you do get to make decisions.

Whether you want go for Scheme A or B is, again, something you need to decide on.

My personal choices were

-iBSc Aerospace physiology at Kings
    -Scheme B iBSc Leicester

But KCL didn't run the iBSc for the year I applied, did offered an MSc but said no at the time. And I didn't want to do Physiology so I went for Leicester.

Go to the intercalation fair thing that happens in October I think. You can meet a lot of supervisors. A key thing I'd ask is if you'll be working alone or 'sharing' your project with a PhD student. How much of an impact the project will make in the research community. Ask how much input you'll be able to have, or is it all set up before you start.

PM me if you have any questions

(Original post by SMed)
    Doesn't it scare you that they're professionals and they'll know a lot more about the subject matter? Asking as I've got to do the same thing to a hospital journal club. And well done on the first!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.