Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    People say this, and have said it before in previous seasons. I don't believe it, the club has proven it's ability to produce top young talent and develop players into stars (and keep them now). Also, it has been proven that amongst top clubs spending x amount of millions does not guarantee winning championships. We have enough money to spend and to win titles not just domestic cups.

Other top clubs hate us because we do things the right way with the fans having a (deservedly) holier than thou mentality. We give young players a chance and make stars, we try our best to carry ourselves with class. The suits, the marble halls, and the beautiful stadium. We are an established British footballing institution and traditionally the third biggest club in England (Utd and Liverpool are the big two obviously).

Long term, we need the European success more than the league I think, in terms of our club's profile we are not quite at United, Liverpool, AC Milan, Bayern, Barca levels of history yet.

The club is in good financial shape and it is only going to get better. We have the resources (although not oil king level) to challenge for every honour there is.
    I agree, I didn't mean to give off the impression that I think Arsenal is this plucky club fighting against the big boys in the league in David vs Goliath fashion, Arsenal certainly have the strongest starting XI in my opinion. I meant we probably won't have a better chance under Wenger's tenure considering the shape Chelsea (and even United) are in.

Arsenal can only get stronger in the future and I fully expect them to go the distance this season. Domestic success will eventually lead to European success though, not the other way around, and it's important we focus on winning the league first. I would love us to win the UCL, but I really do think the league should be our main priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Where's your European Cup?
    #clutchingatstraws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    Yeah, City I think will be pretty difficult to stop this season. They are not playing really well but are still winning their games and are top of the league. When they get their acts together they will be unstoppable I think with the players they have. We have to keep up.
    You say this but nor are we. We have Ramsey, Theo & Jack out who will challenge for spots in our first team. Then we have Ox & Welbeck to return who, let's be real, do contribute a lot to our team - and provide options for AW.

We went to a place where we are never expected to take points & won 3-0. We'll be winning ugly for this month imo, and I'm OK with that.

Also - I'm kind of glad our annual injury crisis came at this stage. Imagine we had these lot out over the Xmas period, or the business end of the season.

It does feel like this season we'll be able to give that final push that'll take us to the end of the season without a crumble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This squad has more of a sense of togetherness than any of the squads that Wenger has built post 2004.

Wenger always goes on about solidarity and the mentality of his teams & it feels like this season his squad are showing just that.

I said it in the transfer window, no matter how badly I did want another CDM, that Cech was the only real improvement we needed & that I was OK with it. After the second half of the season it was evident that only a campaign that was underpinned by injuries would stop us.. (which is why I was worried that we didn't sign anyone else)

Still early but it all seems to be unfolding nicely..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also want to point out that if Coq gets injured we're ****ed.

The amount of **** he does for our team is unreal. I don't know if there is a stat out there to prove this, but we've scored a lot of goals after he's won us back the ball.

He's an animal, charging around the middle of the park like a bulldog with dementia, just looking to destroy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We lost Coq for one week and still won 2 out of 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    We lost Coq for one week and still won 2 out of 3
    You'd be OK with having Arteta or Flamini as CDM for 6 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    You'd be OK with having Arteta or Flamini as CDM for 6 weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I also wish for another CDM but realistically that'll only happen if Arteta and/or Flamini want out before their contracts expire

ReputationRep:
    So happy about Mesut Ozil, he is just so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    This Chelsea fan is a loser and delusional

get rekt m8

ReputationRep:
    need to sign a winger or cm in Jan to win the title

definitely going to hit 80+ points as we stand but we cant get away with Campbell for too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

definitely going to hit 80+ points as we stand but we cant get away with Campbell for too long

Only dreams.

Sanchez, Walcott, Griezmann front three.

Ozil supplying. That would be incredible to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Come on behave, Campbell is by far the best 5th choice RW in the league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Come on behave, Campbell is by far the best 5th choice RW in the league
    He's got more goals than Hazard.. so.. yeah

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/ZleD5SlB5uM?t=4m8s

You see that flick there by Monreal? Would Gibbs ever have the awareness/ability to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Not sure. Think like with Chelsea last season you have the full first team, there are obvious things you can do to improve the system but you can get away with Bellerin's defensive deficiencies, or Coquelins lack of passing ability, the lack of efficiency from Chamberlain or the lack of pace from Mertesacker. The system is working well and you are playing very well too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Not sure. Think like with Chelsea last season you have the full first team, there are obvious things you can do to improve the system but you can get away with Bellerin's defensive deficiencies, or Coquelins lack of passing ability, the lack of efficiency from Chamberlain or the lack of pace from Mertesacker. The system is working well and you are playing very well too.
    Imo Chamberlain needs to clean up his act with regards to tactical awareness and decisiveness. His signature ability really is where he beats a few players and then supplies a pass or shot. Problem is when he loses the ball and we're ****ed because of positioning. He can be very very good as the raw ability is there, but he needs to use his brain a bit more.

The problem with him is that i can see him only being of use in beating bus parking teams because he lacks technical ability in terms of his link up play. There is something disjointed about his place in the team.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, I see Jack as the heir to Cazorla's place. He doesn't need to burst and beat 2 or 3 men because that is just unnecessary and is probably going to injure him again. That part to his game needs to be cut out. He has the sufficient vision, passing and close ball control to play that deep CM role. Also, he needs to learn how to intercept the ball like Cazorla does to play defensively next to Coq. Jack Wilshere is a big big talent.

ReputationRep:
    But can he take a corner with his weaker foot.
    Can he also last more than 5 successive games.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I'm really looking forward to Arsenal's meltdown this spring.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 8, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.