Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    After being so brilliant recently, losing to Hull at home would be too Liverpool to beat...

This is a really important game and not just because of the three points. We need to prove to ourselves that Burnley was just a blip and nothing more. A loss to Hull just reinforces the perception that we can't beat lesser sides.

The only thing setting us apart from the teams above us is consistency. We might not be full of world class players but we have an effective system and players well suited to it. On our day we can beat any team in the league, but showing our quality 38 times in a season has been a problem for us in recent years.
    Well Hull got battered by Arsenal at the weekend so I think they will be more nervous about our good form. Main thing for us is not to concede early and also getting a goal seems to help us.

We're not relying on one or two form players to win our games and everyone looks good with some crisp passing with the ball constantly zipping around. I don't think Klopp will let the players get ahead of themselves and will keep reminding them of the Burnley game. Don't forget that a few players aren't 100% sure of their starting role since we have 3 or 4 options on the bench who could easily replace them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well Hull got battered by Arsenal at the weekend so I think they will be more nervous about our good form. Main thing for us is not to concede early and also getting a goal seems to help us.

We're not relying on one or two form players to win our games and everyone looks good with some crisp passing with the ball constantly zipping around. I don't think Klopp will let the players get ahead of themselves and will keep reminding them of the Burnley game. Don't forget that a few players aren't 100% sure of their starting role since we have 3 or 4 options on the bench who could easily replace them.
    My worry is that Hull will park the bus since they're away from home against an in-form side. However I don't honestly think that's their style, plus they haven't been particularly solid defensively which is a good sign.

We easily have enough to beat them, but no Premier League game is without surprise and they might be looking to bounce back from a crushing defeat to Arsenal. As you say, we can't be complacent, not after Burnley...

ReputationRep:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/s...23606275182593

How were we so bad at the start of last season?

We almost matched the bloody tally in the opening game...away to Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Just that Rodgers was flat out of ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

To be fair, we didn't have League Cup R2 last season, so that's 5 extra goals already.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spurs at home

ReputationRep:
    Spurs at home.

EDIT: FFS

ReputationRep:
    You can never beat mrtim!

Should have enough for Spurs at home really.

ReputationRep:
    We can beat them at home, when will the game be held? Hopefully it's played whilst Kane is injured.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going to this one, got a seat in Main Stand (upper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    We can beat them at home, when will the game be held? Hopefully it's played whilst Kane is injured.
    Week commencing 24th October.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Baloteli scoring twice again. Christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Week commencing 24th October.
    We'll be much fresher than them since they play an extra two games due to the CL. Klopp's gengenpressing should be able to wear them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Baloteli scoring twice again. Christ.
    In France..

League Cup:

West Ham v Chelsea
    Manchester United v Manchester City
    Arsenal v Reading
    Liverpool v Tottenham
    Bristol City v Hull
    Leeds v Norwich
    Newcastle v Preston
    Southampton v Sunderland

That's a lot of good teams going out this round..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Calling it:

Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Hull, Norwich, Newcastle and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Calling it:

You're on!

I'll go exactly the same but Man City instead of United.

ReputationRep:
    Calling it:

As a Prestonian I'd like to see them beat Newcastle, they're hardly likely to make it much further though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Spurs at home
    Should be a good contest, we haven't lost to Spurs for 4 years now. Last time we played them in the League Cup was in 2004/05 (I think it was in the same round as well) which our second string team won on penalties.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    Should be a good contest, we haven't lost to Spurs for 4 years now. Last time we played them in the League Cup was in 2004/05 (I think it was in the same round as well) which our second string team won on penalties.
    Think we played them after that I think when we lost 4-2?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So, Karius or Mignolet? That seems to be the big talking point.

I was one of the few LFC fans in my friendship group to not want Karius to play against Chelsea, purely because I felt it was throwing him in at the deep end and it was much more sensible to ease him in against Derby, which would hopefully be a quiet night (it was) and he'd quietly impress (he did).

Obviously, they are two clearly different goalkeepers, with Karius adopting a very high starting position, even for a 'sweeper keeper'. I'd personally start Karius, because Hull should likely be a quiet game for him to get used to the Anfield atmosphere in, and he can (hopefully) quietly impress and keep a clean sheet, while simultaneously ironing out any flaws.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    You're on!

I'll go exactly the same but Man City instead of United.
    Think it'll be tough for them, considering they play Barcelona the week before and the week after.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.