Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Can we discuss something other than by-election voting in the bar today? It is the last Saturday before the football season starts (for those loyal to their local team,not glory seekers). Real cricket not the 20/20 fast food cricket resumes tomorrow and the next test match is later in the week.

Anyone playing Pokemon Go? I am not*
    I support Sunderland who are as far away from where I live as the nearest non league team, does that make me a glory supporter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I support Sunderland who are as far away from where I live as the nearest non league team, does that make me a glory supporter?
    I doubt it as I assume you have family whio are Mackems.*

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it as I assume you have family whio are Mackems.*
    Some are some support the championship team up the road.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Proving a negative?
    Giving an argument for. Looking at history one would have expected the cold war to have become a full blown war, however it didn't, and the only major meaningful difference in Warsaw Pact v NATO is the mass destruction capabilities.

In other news, my train was cancelled but thanks to being on part of the network with multiple users I was able to put two fingers up to them and use a different service and reminded how odd Cambridge station is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Once again Britain is flying high in the western economic sky while the Eurozone continues its near stagnation and the US has its Q1 revised down to 0.2pc and a meagre 0.3pc preliminary Q2 figures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys planning post uni. Would you choose to live alone in a big flat but with a long commute and somewhat out of the way. Or would you cut you bills by £150, live close to work and in the city but at the cost of living with essentially a random person through spareroom ect..
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    The Essex Senior League season starts today, for those who reallllly aren't glory hunters
    I'm sure Haringey Borough (my ends ) still play in the Essex Senior League 😂 I'll have to check sometime

How is everyone? I hope it's raining where you all are

Edit: Wait no, Haringey got promoted a couple of seasons ago Gonna wreck the Isthmian Division North this season

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can we discuss something other than by-election voting in the bar today? It is the last Saturday before the football season starts (for those loyal to their local team,not glory seekers). Real cricket not the 20/20 fast food cricket resumes tomorrow and the next test match is later in the week.

Anyone playing Pokemon Go? I am not*
    Is it considered glory hunting if the team you support is **** anyway?

(Original post by Rakas21)
    What are you guys planning post uni. Would you choose to live alone in a big flat but with a long commute and somewhat out of the way. Or would you cut you bills by £150, live close to work and in the city but at the cost of living with essentially a random person through spareroom ect..
    Not even at uni yet, hopefully starting in september, but I think I would choose the flatshare. I wouldn't do it with a random person but with a friend or two, where I am in London, towards the edge of west london, is as far out as I am comfortable being really, and I would rather live with someone than alone.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Also not yet at uni, hoping to go September and then leave after 8 years (so in 2024) but would probably live on my own over living with a stranger.

ReputationRep:
    Flatsharing is generally fine, it just gets a problem when there's a LOT of people in the property.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Renting a property is wasting money, it is bad financial management to rent a property, you should take out a mortgage, buy a house outright, or live with your parents to save for a deposit on a mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Flatsharing is generally fine, it just gets a problem when there's a LOT of people in the property.
    pfft I lived with 30 people the last 2 years

I would hate living by myself
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Renting a property is wasting money, it is bad financial management to rent a property, you should take out a mortgage, buy a house outright, or live with your parents to save for a deposit on a mortgage.
    The vast, vast majority of people can't afford to get a morgage. And if you are living with your parents you still have to pay rent and everything you would in a resented house. Except you'd probably be expected to contribute to fixing things too which you don't in a rented house.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The vast, vast majority of people can't afford to get a morgage. And if you are living with your parents you still have to pay rent and everything you would in a resented house. Except you'd probably be expected to contribute to fixing things too which you don't in a rented house.
    Parents who expect their children living at home to pay rent are bad parents, when children are starting in life with little money, parents who demand their children pay rent for living at home are setting their children up for a life of financial instability, are failing in their role as parents to provide the best start for their child, and are not giving their children a boost in the early stages of their adult child's life.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Parents who expect their children living at home to pay rent are bad parents, when children are starting in life with little money, parents who demand their children pay rent for living at home are setting their children up for a life of financial instability, are failing in their role as parents to provide the best start for their child, and are not giving their children a boost in the early stages of their adult child's life.
    The child is preventing the parents, who they should no longer be financially dependent on, from renting out a room or downsizing. As such it's only fair that the parents make the child pay and it teaches them the value of money and not to expect something for nothing. An adult who is working should not still be leaching off of their parents but financially contributing to the house.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The child is preventing the parents, who they should no longer be financially dependent on, from renting out a room or downsizing. As such it's only fair that the parents make the child pay and it teaches them the value of money and not to expect something for nothing. An adult who is working should not still be leaching off of their parents but financially contributing to the house.
    That is a way of parenting but it consigns a child to living in slums; reducing their consumption of leisure to earn more money; reduces the standard of living of the child; and increase the child's risk of being exposed to debt, or succumbing to bad financial decisions. Stating parents are not responsible for their children after the age of 18 is a legal statement but it does not work in the real world, parents should always be there for their children, and in the long-run a decision made by parents to allow their children to live rent-free at home will boost total family wealth.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    That is a way of parenting but it consigns a child to living in slums; reducing their consumption of leisure to earn more money; reduces the standard of living of the child; and increase the child's risk of being exposed to debt, or succumbing to bad financial decisions. Stating parents are not responsible for their children after the age of 18 is a legal statement but it does not work in the real world, parents should always be there for their children, and in the long-run a decision made by parents to allow their children to live rent-free at home will boost total family wealth.
    Actually it's the exact opposite, by not just giving your children everything they want you make them earn and not live beyond their means. You don't create a situation in which, once you are gone due to their fiscal dependence on you They suddenly see mounting debt and an unsustainable lifestyle. You can charge a reduce rent and give 0% loans if you want but just throwing money at your child will create a fiscal time bomb for them and not give them the strength and work ethic to live in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    That's perhaps the most middle class post you've ever made.

While i don't disagree, i'm still a prole right now and don't really want to live with the parents.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Is it considered glory hunting if the team you support is **** anyway?

Not even at uni yet, hopefully starting in september, but I think I would choose the flatshare. I wouldn't do it with a random person but with a friend or two, where I am in London, towards the edge of west london, is as far out as I am comfortable being really, and I would rather live with someone than alone.
    Something you'll find post-university is that the people you'd not mind living with may well scatter back home or elsewhere for work. Hence my options right now are more or less to carry on living alone or suck it up and live with some random person.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Actually it's the exact opposite, by not just giving your children everything they want you make them earn and not live beyond their means. You don't create a situation in which, once you are gone due to their fiscal dependence on you They suddenly see mounting debt and an unsustainable lifestyle. You can charge a reduce rent and give 0% loans if you want but just throwing money at your child will create a fiscal time bomb for them and not give them the strength and work ethic to live in the real world.
    That is all false, parents allowing a child to live with them in adulthood does not create fiscal dependence, nor does it create mounting debt when the parents die, it allows children to more quickly develop their lives. The reality of the situation is your first postcode, your first profession, the first company you work for, the first position you have in that company, and your first salary all determine the outcome of your future life. Under the situation you propose children are forced to work long hours in cheaper areas of the country, in cheaper areas of the country the schools tend to be less good, high paying jobs are not present, there is postcode discrimination when applying for a job, and choosing the wrong company to work for impacts your future career prospects.

A child living in your system would struggle for the first decade of their adult life; be forced to send any child they have to schools that are likely to be of a low standard; run the risk of not being given a better job because postcode discrimination means employers employ a worker seen as more middle class; will always be behind their peers on the career ladder because it takes longer for the child to save up enough to afford a mortgage, which would allow the child to move to be nearer a better job, or start on the property ladder; and risks depression when the child succumbs to the stress of long hours, and trying to balance their fiscal budget: your system fails children.

To state parents allowing their child to live rent-free creates fiscal dependence is a lie, it does not create fiscal dependence, parents allowing their children to live with them rent-free allows the child to gain fiscal security more quickly. In the system I am proposing, a child does not struggle because the child can live with their parents rent-free to save for a mortgage, can have their own house quicker, can afford a mortgage more quickly, can move nearer the better paying jobs which tend to be in expensive cities, can take more leisure time which acts to refresh their minds which reduces stress to make them better workers, and can use some of the wasted money that pays for rent in your system on investments to provide fiscal security, or pay for school fees to better the educational prospects of their children.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's perhaps the most middle class post you've ever made.

While i don't disagree, i'm still a prole right now and don't really want to live with the parents.

Something you'll find post-university is that the people you'd not mind living with may well scatter back home or elsewhere for work. Hence my options right now are more or less to carry on living alone or suck it up and live with some random person.
    I know it is not always desirable to live with your parents, but living with your parents will allow you to have a mortgage quicker, and will save a lot of wasted money that can be invested to increase your long-term wealth. Choosing to live with parents is a short-term loss but it has a long-term gain which I think you would be stupid to turn down; bite the bullet, swallow your pride, view the situation from an economic stance, and make the sensible choice.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.