Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose there's any chance of boosting French to an A* with remarks?

FRENCH
    Total UMS: 341/400
    French 2: 129/140 a* eqv. (AS module resit)
    French 3 Option A: 65/70 a*
    French 4: 100/140 b

As you can see, it's the French 4 preventing me from getting the A* which I believe I'll need 17 UMS points to boost up to. This year it was 81/100 for an A* in French, I think I got 72ish (104 UMS/74 marks = A).

I know it seems a stretch to try to climb 9 marks, but French is very subjective - I have heard that language essays have been marked unfairly in the past and have received considerable boosts after remark. 9 is a huge stretch yet this is what's preventing me from meeting my firm so I'm doing everything to change the outcome, if there's a semblance of hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flylikeafly)
    Do you think I should get a remark for A-level english literature I just need 1 UMS point to go from C to B. Is it worth it, even though I got into my firm.
    If you're into your firm, I wouldn't both. Save the money :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    I don't suppose there's any chance of boosting French to an A* with remarks?

FRENCH
    Total UMS: 341/400
    French 2: 129/140 a* eqv. (AS module resit)
    French 3 Option A: 65/70 a*
    French 4: 100/140 b

As you can see, it's the French 4 preventing me from getting the A* which I believe I'll need 17 UMS points to boost up to. This year it was 81/100 for an A* in French, I think I got 72ish (104 UMS/74 marks = A).

I know it seems a stretch to try to climb 9 marks, but French is very subjective - I have heard that language essays have been marked unfairly in the past and have received considerable boosts after remark. 9 is a huge stretch yet this is what's preventing me from meeting my firm so I'm doing everything to change the outcome, if there's a semblance of hope.
    17 UMS points does seem too difficult to get. The new remark criterias mean that examiners cannot give you extra marks from a difference in interpretation. The only way they can do so is if the original marker has made a significant error that doesn't conform with the mark scheme at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Oh then you re in but your insurance hadn't updated as they might not have realised you ve gotten into your firm yet.
    Should I do anything or just wait ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    17 UMS points does seem too difficult to get. The new remark criterias mean that examiners cannot give you extra marks from a difference in interpretation. The only way they can do so is if the original marker has made a significant error that doesn't conform with the mark scheme at all.
    I knew these reforms were going to be the death of me.

:cockup:

Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:

Thanks anyway!
    No problem but don't worry about it too much. If you've met your firm already then you're at least going to a great uni!

ReputationRep:
    No problem but don't worry about it too much. If you've met your firm already then you're at least going to a great uni!
    I've not met the firm - this is the problem, otherwise I wouldn't consider remarks at all :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys do you know when the latest is that a clearing choice can get back to me? I sent my details earlier today (she needed more academic evidence from previous courses) and wanted a copy of my personal statement and CV for work experience emailed and she said she'd get back to me either "at the end of today" or in the morning. Should I just sit tight? I suppose there's not much more I could tell them now

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help me? I was accepted into adjustment this morning but track doesn't show it.
    Accepted through phone call and was sent an email to enter in the course but there is no option.

ReputationRep:
    Aph Sacred Ground how did you both do? TSR was moving so fat I couldn't keep up 😂

ReputationRep:

Thanks anyway!
    That's new?
    (Original post by moonandstars)
    Hi guys do you know when the latest is that a clearing choice can get back to me? I sent my details earlier today (she needed more academic evidence from previous courses) and wanted a copy of my personal statement and CV for work experience emailed and she said she'd get back to me either "at the end of today" or in the morning. Should I just sit tight? I suppose there's not much more I could tell them now
    Whenever they want really. And they shouldn't have needed your PS if you gave them your clearing number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Don't shut the door to Oxbridge. You never know. there are people in your situation, who reapplied to Oxbridge and got in.

Manchester is also a good choice.

I think that as long as you have a strong application plus grades, it will be difficult to say no to you. Besides, if you have a decent internship or apprenticeship, then your case becomes stronger than others.

Also, please make use of all your 5 choices. I know that you may really love your firm choice, but it is good to have two shortlisted options with an insurance for any eventuality.

Don't be stressed about this situation. You can make the most of your year ahead.

All the best.
    Thank you

Is it possible to make an application without showing my grades ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flylikeafly)
    Do you think I should get a remark for A-level english literature I just need 1 UMS point to go from C to B. Is it worth it, even though I got into my firm.
    Personally I would, because you put your A-level grades on your CV and they play a role, most definitely in anything you apply for in your first year at uni, and maybe to some extent after that but I am not concrete on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Aph Sacred Ground how did you both do? TSR was moving so fat I couldn't keep up 😂
    AAB Distinction so I'm in my firm, technically eligible for adjustment although I don't want it. So I'm really happy yeah

ReputationRep:
    Did AQA A2 Biology ruin anyone else's life or just mine lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginalLifelin)
    Thank you

Is it possible to make an application without showing my grades ?
    I don't think so. There will not be a good standard of measurement to compare you to other candidates.

You need to show your grades. the key point is to show that you are progressing. if you get an A, retake and get an A*, that is progress and good. However, if you drop from an A to a B, then it is bad.

My opinion is that you show good grades i.e. "A" or "A*" grades. Then you show other things that make you stand out from the crowd. Remember that you won't be the only kid with A or A* grades. So you need to tell them, here is why I am awesome, but not in an arrogant way.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    That's amazing, well done you! What are you doing to celebrate?
    Drinking haha 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's new?

Whenever they want really. And they shouldn't have needed your PS if you gave them your clearing number?
    I think it was due to the nature of the course and my quite unique circumstances because I needed to provide extra information to help them make their decision as to whether I could come down for an interview (it's a healthcare course) so she asked me to just put everything in an email so she could look at it all at once and make a decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angoranimi)
    Did AQA A2 Biology ruin anyone else's life or just mine lol
    So sorry to hear that, Edexcel biology certainly ruined mine

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got 61/98 points in my AS paper, this year (after resitting it) I got 92/96 marks Re-sit it!

A coeur vaillant, rien d'impossible

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.