Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talexe)
    Which one?

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Since one of them quit medicine to do full time comedy, I'd put good money on it being Suman.
    You are correct

(Original post by SMed)
    What's this about TED talks at Imperial? Is it real TED or what?
    real.

ReputationRep:
    Well, TEDx...

ReputationRep:
    Annnd I'm coming down with something. Nice.

Started as a tension type headache and now moving on to cold symptoms!

The Free is the place to be clearly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    In young adults, 20-50, the clock runs long, around 24.5 hours - so that means we naturally want to get up half an hour later each day. There are studies showing a class of photoreceptors in the retina that detects light independently of the rods and cones and this acts as a reset for the clock depending on light - for some it is dawn, for others, dusk.

Do you mean the aschoff experiments when they locked the students into dungeons? That was great for the guy that had a uber long clock, not so good for the chap running on half time.

I did a course on clocks, sleep and biological time - best course ever
    as we're sharing circadian themed anecdotes - the person who lectured us on sleep was incidentally the same guy who discovered them (or at least, along with his group).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Enjoy it whilst you still can! But seriously,semester 3 is super crammed and then you spend semester 5 stressing out about Phase 1. I'd actually just try and finish the dissertation because as soon as its over it feels like you've got your life back . (She says in a jokily manner but its very much true). But yes sort of relax a bit and ooh how are you finding CPC?

What SSC are you doing? And do not pick 'brain disorders and cell signalling' for semester 5. I did that thinking it would help immensely with neuro and M&R. It didn't and just added to the work.
    Yeah - I found semester three horrible, and I & I was a killer! I'm doing physiological measurements for my SSC, and I'm really not enjoying it; there is much more physics and maths to it than I had inititially anticipiated. Having said that, I am going on a clinical visist today for it to a respiratory medicine lab to watch some lung function testing Ah, i was thinking about doing the opiates SSC for sem 5, but I might opt for an easier one after this one Oh, I really enjoy CPC - our hospital tutor is great, and it makes a change from the same old, lecture then group work routine which I'm getting a tad bored of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Yeah - I found semester three horrible, and I & I was a killer! I'm doing physiological measurements for my SSC, and I'm really not enjoying it; there is much more physics and maths to it than I had inititially anticipiated. Having said that, I am going on a clinical visist today for it to a respiratory medicine lab to watch some lung function testing Ah, i was thinking about doing the opiates SSC for sem 5, but I might opt for an easier one after this one Oh, I really enjoy CPC - our hospital tutor is great, and it makes a change from the same old, lecture then group work routine which I'm getting a tad bored of!
    I did that! Its awesome, I think in terms of work and assessments - its one of the hardest SSCs (along with Vasc bio) but the good thing is you cover all of physiology in this SSC... so you get to recap bilirubin, DM, LFTs, renal physiology. The Maths and Physics will die down but the CT/MRI stuff will be useful for Head & Neck for Head CTs and so on.

Also you get lots pf physiology notes to use later on in revision

Is that the drug design? I'd be a bit wary as heard half of the time that the tutor in Loughborough wouldn't turn up or something. There was a lot of delay, but ask people who did it last year as they should have fixed things by now. PS reason I wanted to (and should've done) Imaging after this SSM is because for that SSM you submit an essay on some imaging modality, and my essay in Phys Measurements was on carotid duplex. (If you're doing it something similar... there is a systematic review in the clin sci library which compares angiography, carotid duplex, and one more thing in terms of cost assessment. It has cost of everything - training people, how much the thing costs, how much to use annually, once off etc. So its brilliant to put in the cost assessment part of your essay).

ReputationRep:
    Terrible presentation is GO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the mechanism behind UTIs causing confusion/collapse in elderly patients? I haven't studied the urinary system yet and I'm struggling to piece it together. At the moment I'm assuming it's just due to the subsequent fatigue and fever. Would there be any hypotension (but I'm thinking it would have to be pretty advanced for this?). Googling hasn't particularly helped.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I think it's just infection in general. But UTIs seem to be common in the elderly so it's something you want to check early when they present like that. There might be more to it than that, haven't seen a hospital in so long. I don't even know where my cheese&onion is.

To expand slightly, I meant that any infection will do this to the elderly as they are generally weak and relatively immunocompromised, but that UTIs are common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Ooh, I think it's just infection in general. But UTIs seem to be common in the elderly so it's something you want to check early when they present like that. There might be more to it than that, haven't seen a hospital in so long. I don't even know where my cheese&onion is.

To expand slightly, I meant that any infection will do this to the elderly as they are generally weak and relatively immunocompromised, but that UTIs are common.
    Ok.

I was kind of working under the impression that chest infections can produce this presentation due to the SOB and poor gas exchange, so I was a little stumped as to how UTI can also. I guess you're probably right - it's just the result of general infection in an already vulnerable patient. I was just hoping it would be something a little more meatier, ya know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Ok.

I was kind of working under the impression that chest infections can produce this presentation due to the SOB and poor gas exchange, so I was a little stumped as to how UTI can also. I guess you're probably right - it's just the result of general infection in an already vulnerable patient. I was just hoping it would be something a little more meatier, ya know?
    It could be, I just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

Welcome to medical school.

ReputationRep:
    Going through the OHCM and finding all the antibiotics made me realise I have totally forgotten the mechanisms of action and resistance to them.
    I found that slightly depressing.
    Also most of my virology beyond HIV, flu and smallpox has gone....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Going through the OHCM and finding all the antibiotics made me realise I have totally forgotten the mechanisms of action and resistance to them.
    I found that slightly depressing.
    Also most of my virology beyond HIV, flu and smallpox has gone....
    At least that small pox knowledge should come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    At least that small pox knowledge should come in handy.
    That was more down to the academic interest of the lecturer. But it is an interesting virus none the less.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the mechanism behind UTIs causing confusion/collapse in elderly patients? I haven't studied the urinary system yet and I'm struggling to piece it together. At the moment I'm assuming it's just due to the subsequent fatigue and fever. Would there be any hypotension (but I'm thinking it would have to be pretty advanced for this?). Googling hasn't particularly helped.

Cheers.
    Elderly pts more prone to dehydration? That's the link I sorta made between utis in elderly patients and confusion. And utis = frequency of micturition -> dehydration -> comfusion...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    good luck
    (Original post by xconfetti)
    Good luck!
    Cheers. I went last and the person before me did a talk on malaria as well. So before I started I was a bit aww ****.

I think I did well anyway, would be suprised if I was marked poorly. Everyone I spoke to afterwards really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.