Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Yeah I thought so as well, ah well congratulations on your offer!!!

I suppose, ah thank you but don't be too hard on yourself
    who said I was being hard on myself?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you're right but my area is quite poor

Cheers usy Yeah I'm looking forward to it :yes:

not really that fused by the rejection actually, feels weird
    Sorry to hear about the news, Robbie. You have a fantastic application story since GCSE and should be very proud of a Warwick offer! It's one of the best in the UK after Cambridge, I'm sure you will enjoy it there. Someone posted this which may be relevant to you. It could well be that they just felt your education had left too many gaps in your knowledge to keep up with their incredibly tough course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    How did you fare?

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Cambridge for Economics!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats boywonder you deserve it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannaGetAnA)
    Congratulations!!
    Congrats boywonder you deserve it
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!
    Which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannaGetAnA)
    Which college?
    Pembroke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    How did you fare?
    Pooled by Jesus. Didn't qualify for auto-pool but we'll just have to wait and see I guess

ReputationRep:
    Pooled by Jesus. Didn't qualify for auto-pool but we'll just have to wait and see I guess
    Oh that's good news then considering hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    x
    Officially seen episodes I-VI now. I love them all :eek3::love::love:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile:D)
    Offer from Cambridge for history- over the moon right now :woo:
    Congratulations to you both

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why is history revision so painful? I remember NOTHING and my mock is on Thursday. You'd think I'd learn not to leave revision this late :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about the news, Robbie. You have a fantastic application story since GCSE and should be very proud of a Warwick offer! It's one of the best in the UK after Cambridge, I'm sure you will enjoy it there. Someone posted this which may be relevant to you. It could well be that they just felt your education had left too many gaps in your knowledge to keep up with their incredibly tough course.
    Thanks, hoping the best for you within the pool. Yeah I feel that exact way, I wasn't prepared enough for the interview so probably not prepared for the tough course, the article was quite good perspective wise so thanks for that as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Why is history revision so painful? I remember NOTHING and my mock is on Thursday. You'd think I'd learn not to leave revision this late :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's still time, don't panic! btw, how was your birthday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Congratulations to you both

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Off to Warwick for me

just proves really that even if you work hard, you most likely won't get into Cambridge because you weren't privately educated :rolleyes:
    I can understand you're upset about your rejection but that simply isn't true. You don't have to be privately educated to stand a good chance at Cambridge, you just have to be within the range that they're looking for. They contextualise your results with your school's to remove any disadvantages and the intake of state schoolers is around 63.7% so I don't think there's any bias. I hope you don't take it too hard upon yourself, and wish you all the best at Warwick

ReputationRep:
    I can understand you're upset about your rejection but that simply isn't true. You don't have to be privately educated to stand a good chance at Cambridge, you just have to be within the range that they're looking for. They contextualise your results with your school's to remove any disadvantages and the intake of state schoolers is around 63.7% so I don't think there's any bias. I hope you don't take it too hard upon yourself, and wish you all the best at Warwick
    Yeah I was understandably more pissed off earlier but that doesn't get rid of the fact that my school from the get go didn't give me much hope in reaching Cambridge at all, contextualisation can only account for so much and even then, if your school is literally so bad to the point where it doesn't actively prepare you for any sort of study at Cambridge, Cambridge themselves won't want you and that's the hard truth

It's probably not a matter of Private education vs State education I don't think anymore, but they can still say next to their statistic that they take x amount of students from state schools, still doesn't mean that students from really bad state schools will ever have a chance at Cambridge

ReputationRep:

Yeah I was understandably more pissed off earlier but that doesn't get rid of the fact that my school from the get go didn't give me much hope in reaching Cambridge at all, contextualisation can only account for so much and even then, if your school is literally so bad to the point where it doesn't actively prepare you for any sort of study at Cambridge, Cambridge themselves won't want you and that's the hard truth

It's probably not a matter of Private education vs State education I don't think anymore, but they can still say next to their statistic that they take x amount of students from state schools, still doesn't mean that students from really bad state schools will ever have a chance at Cambridge
    I do think the original statement was unfair but if you see the article I linked it shows that sometimes poor state schools leave too many gaps in applicants' knowledge and they just can't make them an offer, even if they do have great potential. Compare this to, say, a leading boarding school you will see how big an impact education can have, and though Cambridge try to contextualise this they still take an overwhelming proportion of privately educated students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.