Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    So, Karius or Mignolet? That seems to be the big talking point.

I was one of the few LFC fans in my friendship group to not want Karius to play against Chelsea, purely because I felt it was throwing him in at the deep end and it was much more sensible to ease him in against Derby, which would hopefully be a quiet night (it was) and he'd quietly impress (he did).

Obviously, they are two clearly different goalkeepers, with Karius adopting a very high starting position, even for a 'sweeper keeper'. I'd personally start Karius, because Hull should likely be a quiet game for him to get used to the Anfield atmosphere in, and he can (hopefully) quietly impress and keep a clean sheet, while simultaneously ironing out any flaws.

Think it'll be tough for them, considering they play Barcelona the week before and the week after.
    Personally I think Karius is the way to go. If he hadn't gotten injured, it seemed likely that he would be our first keeper anyway. Mignolet certainly hasn't done anything to warrant being dropped, however that doesn't mean the past few years of mistakes and sub-par performances should be ignored.

It's important that people don't get too carried away with high expectation of Karius. Yes his career stats look good so in the long term he should be decent, but let's not think him to be a world beater in the short term.
    It's a new league in a different team. We do a lot of passing around the defence - he looked confident against Derby but he was still making passes where I thought "one day he'll mess that up and cost us a goal from nothing".

Communication and chemistry will need to be built and he'll need to get all the nervousness out of his system. Let's not forget how poor DDG looked when he came to United, and now he's the 2nd best keeper in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Think we played them after that I think when we lost 4-2?
    I meant to say at home, my bad. That 4-2 defeat reminded me of that horrible run we had against them (Oct 2008 to Oct 2012 - W2 D1 L7), since then we haven't lost to them to hopefully we keep that record up.

ReputationRep:
    Off to Anfield for the Hull Game tomorrow! Have to get up at 4am to catch a fan coach
    Score predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TS21)
    Off to Anfield for the Hull Game tomorrow! Have to get up at 4am to catch a fan coach
    Score predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2-0 Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TS21)
    Score predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    4-0

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna go for a slender 7-0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    on a serious note, 3-2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it'll be either 1-0 or 0-1, Hull have always proved frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    It's an important game though because a win tomorrow and we're guaranteed to jump above at least one of Chelsea/Arsenal.

If we put in a decent performance, there's no way we can't beat Hull.

ReputationRep:
    Hull have allowed more shots per game - an average of almost 22 - than any other Premier League team this season.

ReputationRep:
    Just by some miracle managed to get a ticket for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Just by some miracle managed to get a ticket for tomorrow
    So jealous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Hull have allowed more shots per game - an average of almost 22 - than any other Premier League team this season.
    But we had 26 against Burnley

So jealous!
    Meh, it's only Lower Centenary :p:

ReputationRep:
    But we had 26 against Burnley

Meh, it's only Lower Centenary :p:
    Better in the stadium than not. I'm not even sure I'll have time to watch the game this weekend

I still think Burnley will be a one off. Karius and Matip likely to come in compared to Burnley line-up which should mean fewer mistakes at the back. Mane will also play who seems to have been very important to us too.

I'd be tempted to sit Coutinho on the bench just to avoid him trying to fire one in from 20-30 yards constantly..

ReputationRep:
    Yh bring on Coutinho later in the game, can't afford for his regular pot shots to disturb our attacking momentum. But I can see him starting on the condition that he is more patient, I'm sure Klopp has had a word with him about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    James Pearce saying Karius will start tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Yh bring on Coutinho later in the game, can't afford for his regular pot shots to disturb our attacking momentum. But I can see him starting on the condition that he is more patient, I'm sure Klopp has had a word with him about it.
    I feel like Sturridge is the one you want on the pitch considering he is our most clinical player.
    Firmino chips in regularly with goals and seems to have the best understanding with most players.
    Mane has been on fantastic form and his pace and ability to beat a man is very important.

So either we drop Coutinho from the front 3 or we could drop Wijnaldum from the midfield and play a trio of Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson? Not sure if that is then too attacking though.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like Sturridge is the one you want on the pitch considering he is our most clinical player.
    Firmino chips in regularly with goals and seems to have the best understanding with most players.
    Mane has been on fantastic form and his pace and ability to beat a man is very important.

So either we drop Coutinho from the front 3 or we could drop Wijnaldum from the midfield and play a trio of Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson? Not sure if that is then too attacking though.
    It's a tough one really but it just shows how much depth we have upfront and it's a good problem for Klopp to have as he can tailor the forward line up to the opposition and they will have to keep guessing every week who will be playing where in our front 3.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with a 3-0 win, Klopp will be eager to remind the team about Burnley and no doubt the lads will be raring to prove Burnley was just a blip. We are at home and in such good form, Hull will be easily brushed aside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    It's a tough one really but it just shows how much depth we have upfront and it's a good problem for Klopp to have as he can tailor the forward line up to the opposition and they will have to keep guessing every week who will be playing where in our front 3.
    Well I think it's more because we have no injuries. If we had Sturridge and Firmino out, would an out of form Origi be enough?

Hopefully we get Leicester-esque luck with injuries this season..

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.