Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Benzema obviously a redherring plant by AFC since all of the papers are reporting it at literally the same time, probably will bid for Suarez again this week but using it to force LFC's price down too. Also 40m? lol

Di Maria would be sick and actually pretty realistic since Bale is now a shoe in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acruzen)
    Leaving real with morata as their only striker?
    Isn't Suarez is still available but I don't think Benzema will leave Madrid considering he's a personal favourite of the President

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's suarez to madrid and benzema to us.

Still seems highly unlikely though.

ReputationRep:
    Giroud just tweeted that Kosc is not injured btw. Big relief

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Benzema obviously a redherring plant by AFC since all of the papers are reporting it at literally the same time, probably will bid for Suarez again this week but using it to force LFC's price down too. Also 40m? lol

Di Maria would be sick and actually pretty realistic since Bale is now a shoe in...
    The BBC are reporting: '"Absolutely no chance of that," said Wenger of Suarez arriving at Emirates Stadium."'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23790314

Or do you think Wenger's bluffing about that too? Seems like an odd thing to say though.

ReputationRep:
    They got rid of Higuain primarily to keep Benzema as the sole natural number 9... he is not going to Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    Di Maria makes sense. We've followed him since he was 17, I think. In fact, we even had a deal in place to sign him from Rosario Central in 2007, but, as always, work permit issues stopped it from happening and he eventually signed for Benfica that same summer. Hopefully that fact will go some way to convincing him that he'd be valued were he to join. I would definitely love to see him at Arsenal!

As for Benzema: I'm not sure about him. He undoubtedly possesses a great deal of natural talent, but whenever I've seen him play for Real, his play has looked clunky. However, Wenger has always admired him; so if he's good enough for Le Prof, then he's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    The BBC are reporting: '"Absolutely no chance of that," said Wenger of Suarez arriving at Emirates Stadium."'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23790314

Or do you think Wenger's bluffing about that too? Seems like an odd thing to say though.
    Actually didnt read this till now

He may be bluffing, Wenger is a pathological liar when it comes down to transfers but regardless I cant see Benzema leaving Real when they have no other senior striker and no money after Bale to replace him. Although Wenger is a huge fan of his apparently, 40m seems steep. He's worth what, 25m max? And as I say, the fact that all of the tabloids got hold of this at once has 'AFC leak' written all over it.

Di Maria though, with Bale coming in I reckon we can definitely get him.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey seemed like a new player this game. Have been impressed by him and Rosicky.

ReputationRep:
    If Bale goes to Real Madrid, they could just move Ronaldo to striker and put Bale on the left? They've still got Ozil, Isco and Modric in the other spots. While it's a long shot to get Benzema, I suppose it's possible?

Di Maria is certainly more likely, and he'd be just an amazing get. Literally everything we need in a winger.

Wish we would have just bitten the bullet for Higuain at £35m. £40m may be a little steep for Benzema, but we honestly need to take a risk. I'm not convinced at all that Giroud is the striker for a title contending team. Wenger's statements are definitely positive, but it's ****ing Arsenal and we could just as easily end up in two weeks with Yaya Sanogo and a £20m final minute panick bid Yohan Cabaye after much promise but no results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    If Bale goes to Real Madrid, they could just move Ronaldo to striker and put Bale on the left?.
    No. So if he's injured in the semis of the CL that means morata and jese start against bayern/barca/dortmund/big team we saw what happened when bartra played vs bayern the same would happen to morata and jese.. Or you playing bale up top or something? It's not going to happen.

Agree with what you said after though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah come to think of it Benzema is definitely a smoke screen. They are not going to sell their last striker. Ronaldo has on countless occasions said that he prefers playing on the left and even moving him to CF would be a risk because he hasn't played that position in his career. Di Maria would be a brilliant signing though, we'd finally have a world-class winger. Wouldn't even mind paying £30m for him, think he's that good and can still improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Yeah come to think of it Benzema is definitely a smoke screen. They are not going to sell their last striker. Ronaldo has on countless occasions said that he prefers playing on the left and even moving him to CF would be a risk because he hasn't played that position in his career. Di Maria would be a brilliant signing though, we'd finally have a world-class winger. Wouldn't even mind paying £30m for him, think he's that good and can still improve.
    Reckon they'd sell for 25m since they need to raise cash and because hes now surplus to requirements

ReputationRep:

He may be bluffing, Wenger is a pathological liar when it comes down to transfers but regardless I cant see Benzema leaving Real when they have no other senior striker and no money after Bale to replace him. Although Wenger is a huge fan of his apparently, 40m seems steep. He's worth what, 25m max? And as I say, the fact that all of the tabloids got hold of this at once has 'AFC leak' written all over it.

Ahh fair enough. But yeah I agree with you, definitely smells like a leak considering Wenger's apparently unwillingness to overspend, the very idea of him jumping in with a £40m bid for Benzema seems ludicrous, even if he rates him highly. Plus I don't see why Real would sell him, surely if they needed to sell a key player to fund Bale/their other ventures they would have done it by now? Especially if the 'Bale to Real was a done deal ages ago' reports are true. I don't buy into this Ronaldo playing as striker theory either, I'm sure he could fill in there when needed, but displacing one of the top 2 players in the world from his favoured position to make room for Bale? Doubt Ronaldo would be overjoyed for starters, not to mention should Ronaldo get injured they'd be forced to use Morata/Jesse up front.

Di Maria would definitely be a good and feasible move though.

ReputationRep:
    Suarez is unsettled at Liverpool but they refuse to sell him to us. So they go back touting him to Madrid, desperate for somebody else to go in for him. Madrid decide to bite, but need to sell Benzema to raise the funds for him. Benzema won't go to a non-CL club though so they decide to wait until we're all-but-qualified, and then the merry-go-round can begin. Suarez, having been told all of this last week, "apologises" to BR and begins training with the first team again.

I should write for a tabloid

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on whether Bale goes or not, im sorry but if Benzema is £40mill then football has gone crazy

ReputationRep:
    40million for Benzema is obscene! 25-30m max

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting if we do buy Benzema and Di Maria - we're essentially giving money to Spurs via RM. I'm pretty sure they would've been offered to Spurs so they obviously don't value them and prefer money to buy their own players.

But I'd take Benzema for £40m. He's imo quite a bit better than Higuain and has more pace. He has all the attributes to succeed in the premier league and SAF wanted him at Lyon so he can't be that bad...

...to the guy who laughed at me...probably a united or chelsea fan...yeah, what mate?

It's a good sign if these reports are true. Just bought my Sunderland tickets.

ReputationRep:

If Bale does go to RM (which is looking likely), CR7 will move to ST/CF position. There's no way both bale and ronaldo can play as wingers, they'd be too imbalanced. Plus, they've got a couple of young strikers that they're looking to play.

It's a big risk but Real are clearly struggling to fund Bale and it would be a complete embarrassment for them should they not land him.

I think Benzema is worth that £40m. He's suited to our system. Let's not forget what Falcao, Cavani, Suarez, Rooney, Higuain went/are going for

Higuain for £34m or Benzema for £40m. Easy choice. I can see it happening but I think it will cost Ancellotti his job at the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    If it means They try to get Suarez as a replacement it's great business a Liverpool are actually going to challenge us as it stands, as much as I hate to say it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.