Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    I had an eye on the Porto match on Tuesday and I saw that Porto completely dominated Malaga. Malaga barely did anything at all, couldn't even string a couple of passes together, Porto were insanely good. If they play like that in the second leg then I can't see what Malaga can do to improve their performance. Yeh, Moutinho looked offside, but oh well! It was deserved anyway.

Good thing is that Porto will now have a massive advantage if they can get even one away goal because then Malaga will need at least 3. Hopefully Porto get one early on and kill the tie.

I can't quite get my head around at how we've beaten Leverkusen. I expected them to be a lot better than what I've seen of them in these two matches. We got lucky with the win in the first leg, and now we got even luckier to win tonight. Twice they hit the post, had a goal disallowed (which was a borderline call imo) and forced a bunch of good saves from Artur.

We defended fairly well most of the time though. And scored at exactly the right times. Ola John's goal (which was awesome) came at a time where Bayer were starting to dominate, and Matic scored an important goal straight after they had scored.

In the end, it was a good win. Bordeaux in the next round don't scare me that much (on paper at least)... we should be able to beat them. We won't have Matic in the next match, but the first leg is at the Luz so hopefully we can get by.. I'm not so sure I want us to go through though, because there are a couple of players who have been used a bit too much already and are starting to show a few signs of fatigue.

One thing I didn't understand was why Carlos Martins started and played so long. JJ always puts him on like that, almost as if he wants him to get injured. Normally injured players would come back by gradually playing more and more minutes as a substitute near the end of matches until eventually they are match fit. But with Carlos Martins, JJ always just throws him on so suddenly and he always comes off injured before the end of the match. This happened the last time CM played for us as well. He hadn't played in a while, suddenly he started the match and went off injured, since then he doesn't play a single minute of football and suddenly he is on the pitch tonight playing a European game! Makes no sense at all.. he came off injured again tonight, and I won't be surprised if we don't see him again for a few weeks/month.

Anyway (long post!) Pacos will be a toooooooooooough match.. good thing its at home and we have Matic/Cardozo back. Some of the players will be tired, but this match will be one of the hardest so I hope they are able to put in a good performance and possibly score a few goals and kill off the game early on.
    Yeah, we have to try and get that away goal now as it should put things a bit more at ease for us if we do. But like I said, I expect a different game from Malaga though.

Haha, well done! And there you were saying you would struggle. Have a little bit of faith in this Benfica team of yours! But I do admit Leverkusen have been quite unlucky over the two legs. Ola John’s goal was fantastic. Ah, but think of the coefficients if you beat Bordeaux!

Well you saw Carlos Martins sooner than expected! Enzo must have picked up a knock or something for him to go off at half time? Paços were quite poor though, a bit like when we played them. I expected more from them but just no real threat at all.

As for our game, first was a penalty, second wasn’t! We were lucky. Jackson was lucky too! VPs face was priceless when Jackson missed the first penalty, no idea what he was thinking. By all means take penalties like that when winning comfortably, not when it’s 0-0 and looking for the first goal. He was lucky with the second penalty too, it was so very nearly saved. Now when he steps up for penalties I’m not exactly filled with confidence.

Sporting with yet another funny game. RvW is another one who should be taken off the penalty role too! Could have made it 2-2, instead he misses,again, and Estoril go down the other end, get a free-kick and make it 3-1, game over!

ReputationRep:
    Beckham on for PSG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Beckham on for PSG.
    I think we were all hoping he would step on Barton's toe and cause a bit of a scrap, sadly it wasn't meant to be. OM were pretty unlucky not to grab a goal towards the end and instead let another in.

ReputationRep:
    What a brilliant match the PSG- OM game was. Absolutely amazing- very reminescent of what the PL used to be in its hay days. The score really flattered PSG and I thought Valbuena was really a joy to watch again.

ReputationRep:
    Galatasaray were 2-0 down (it's now 3-2 at the time of writing) to Orduspor, who hadn't won an away game all season. And this was Orduspor's first goal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Stonewall penalty there.
    Pedro one? No way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Pedro was half way to the ground before any contact.
    I guess he saw the challenge coming, I think I would be flinching about when I see elbows Alonso about to come flying into the back of me. Not that it really matters though Alonso clearly clattered him from behind.

(Original post by boumavilla)
    Lens and Mathijsen. :facepalm2:

The top of the table's gotten even more interesting after that result, though. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to watch the PSG OM match on youtube? I can't seem to get view it :dontknow:

Never mind, working just after I posted this. #Typical

ReputationRep:
    OOft great goal by Robben. Still world class when he's in the mood!

ReputationRep:
    That was like a goal you'd score on FIFA.

ReputationRep:
    Funny thing is, Robben's only starting because Ribery's suspended. That's what you call some serious squad depth.

ReputationRep:

Lmao. Not sure whether Zlatan is calling Barton a ****er (of a small penis), or saying he has more money.

ReputationRep:
    ^LOL. The last player you want to try and taunt is Ibrahimovic. Reading from the live feed on the BBC site, Beckham/Barton had a shoulder-to-shoulder contest when they came together during it.

France media really hype up a "Barton-Beckham" match-up like they are both the finest players from our shores when it's really not. They must be bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Lens and Mathijsen. :facepalm2:

Spoiler:
    Show

The top of the table's gotten even more interesting after that result, though. :beard:
    That was funny Bouma just came in to the rescue to break it all up! :awesome:

Feyenoord winning has indeed blown it apart, I had Ajax and PSV to break off a little too. Turns out that there is still a top 6 though, even though I wouldn't count Utrecht in with the pack.
    McLaren has left though! :jive: Dutch football has been saved! So that also means Twente are still in the race if they get a good manager that will give them some results. Gertjan Verbeek (AZ manager) has been touted in the past to be the next manager there.
    Vitesse gained an odd result at Heracles, 5-3! However Bony might be leaving because the Russian transfer window is still open I'll miss him, he acts so cool, even when he missed a penalty on the weekend he just prepared himself for the corner and pretended nothing had happened at all
    Ajax have had a poor week. They played so poorly on Thursday and then give a dismal performance against ADO. PSV should be able to capitalise, they have their customary 1 in every 4 rubbish game, the other 3/4 are where they win 3,4,5,6-0

Who are you edging towards atm? :beard:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The MLS starts back up this weekend and I am off to see Vancouver Whitecaps v Toronto, what is interesting Nigel Reo-Coker recently signed for the Whitecaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    That was like a goal you'd score on FIFA.
    Stinks of pressing RB.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else seen this goal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/21611420

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    The MLS starts back up this weekend and I am off to see Vancouver Whitecaps v Toronto, what is interesting Nigel Reo-Coker recently signed for the Whitecaps.
    Please keep me updated on how he does over there :yes:

I wonder why no-one else picked him in the Premier League considering he played so well for Villa and Bolton :beard:
    Last I heard he was playing at Ipswich.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by boumavilla)
    Please keep me updated on how he does over there :yes:

I wonder why no-one else picked him in the Premier League considering he played so well for Villa and Bolton :beard:
    Last I heard he was playing at Ipswich.
    maybe he went off the boil a bit when he left Villa, but yeah will keep you updated I am off to the game shortly, starts at half 11 UK time.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.