Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Finally got some positive feedback regarding my classroom management today. I could hardly believe my ears!

Woohoo!! Well done you! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Finally got some positive feedback regarding my classroom management today. I could hardly believe my ears!

ReputationRep:
    I left for work this morning at 6am. I got back to Cambridge at 7:15pm, and I've been in college lesson planning since.

But then again, teaching's an easy job, right? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    I left for work this morning at 6am. I got back to Cambridge at 7:15pm, and I've been in college lesson planning since.

It gets better, it really does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)

Yep! 9-3 with lots of holidays!

I am exhausted, just coming up to week 4 of a 5 week placement. Working such long hours at this place, easily over 50per week. I'm looking forward to going back to uni for a rest!

ReputationRep:
    Learning to teach and drive is really taking it out of me at the minute!

Once again with my teaching it's the personality side of things (acting, basically, to gather the students in) that's letting me down rather than the practical planning etc. Which makes it worse as it's harder to change, as this is just the way I am! At what point do you change from thinking "it's ok, I'm still learning" to realising it's never going to change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)

Once again with my teaching it's the personality side of things (acting, basically, to gather the students in) that's letting me down rather than the practical planning etc. Which makes it worse as it's harder to change, as this is just the way I am! At what point do you change from thinking "it's ok, I'm still learning" to realising it's never going to change?
    For me, three years into my first job I realised I was doing ok. Then I moved schools again after 5 years and had to start again. Got the hang of it about 2 years on. Then, 12 years later I moved again and found I'd got it sussed from the word go.

ReputationRep:
    I've found another job to apply for YAY.

They want a cover letter and application form (standard) but they want it posted to them. I know it's not really that big of a deal, but where exactly am I meant to find time in the day to go to the post office when I leave for college at 6.50 and get in about 5.30 and then have to go to saturday booster sessions???

It sounds so simple but it really isn't, I still have a cheque from Christmas I haven't paid in because I have no time to go to the bank!! Oh life I miss you.

ReputationRep:

There's a reason I waited until my NQT year to learn to drive :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I've found another job to apply for YAY.

They want a cover letter and application form (standard) but they want it posted to them. I know it's not really that big of a deal, but where exactly am I meant to find time in the day to go to the post office when I leave for college at 6.50 and get in about 5.30 and then have to go to saturday booster sessions???

It sounds so simple but it really isn't, I still have a cheque from Christmas I haven't paid in because I have no time to go to the bank!! Oh life I miss you.
    You can pay for the postage online if you have an envelope (although if you want it to go recorded you need to go to the PO anyway...)

ReputationRep:
    I had something resembling a compliment today! One of the teachers I work with said the other day that she was impressed by me "improving" the hit the board game (MFL lessons- pictures on board, say word, kids hit) by saying two or three items in a row rather than just one, so they have to do a bit of remembering, as she hadn't thought of doing that.

Then today I was observing her with another group and she did just that!

ReputationRep:
    I had something resembling a compliment today! One of the teachers I work with said the other day that she was impressed by me "improving" the hit the board game (MFL lessons- pictures on board, say word, kids hit) by saying two or three items in a row rather than just one, so they have to do a bit of remembering, as she hadn't thought of doing that.

Good for you. It helps to remember how pleased you feel as a reminder to praise the kids, as well.

ReputationRep:

I like this idea and may steal it too.. 'Triple Splat' instead of just 'Splat'.
    Well done you :bunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I wish I could do that.... but I'm applying for jobs. I think I'll do an intensive course for a week over Easter, so I can show prospective employers a licence, not just a "I'm going to get one" which won't cut the mustard if it's a school I'd have to drive to.

ReputationRep:
    Had another formal observation today.
    The build up was a nightmare. My class teacher checked my plan and added things to it. Then the headteacher checked my plan and added yet more to it. It went from a two-page plan to a four-page plan! Plus, the headteacher said I was going to be teaching the children incorrectly, as I was going to teach them to move the numbers along the place-value columns, leaving the decimal point fixed. She kept insisting that you change the decimal point.
    Then, my STCC - who was observing me - turned up 50 minutes late! The head told me not to start until he got there, as she wanted him to see it all, so that meant that we ended up doing some reading and stuff as a class before hand [because we didn't know when he was going to turn up]. So, by the time I actually started my lesson, I was amazed the children were even awake!

In the end, he said I had shown improvement and he was happier than last time. I kept my cool - mainly because I was angry with him, so I refused to get upset over anything.

It is nice that he said it was better but it messed up the whole day. This afternoon, because we ended up working into lunch time, I had to let the children have a break. I didn't begrudge the children - none of it was there fault - but that left me with 20 minutes for my RE lesson, so the class teacher told me not to bother. So, because my STCC was so late, he left the children confused and messed up the afternoon. Not impressed, to be honest.

But, I am feeling quite positive - surprisingly. I am glad that I stood my ground a bit more - especially over the decimal point [as four other teachers in school and my STCC agreed that the decimal point is fixed - if I had switched and taught it as the head told me, I would have been marked down for teaching misconceptions]. Plus, I have two more days at this school. That's it. I can't wait for the weekend!

And, this weekend is going to be amazing. A close friend from college is coming up and we are spending Friday night today - take away, wine and possible a trip into town for dancing is definitely on the cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I am hoping to manage it lol. I started my lessons in October. My test is booked for this month. Exciting stuff. Driving is actually a real pleasure - especially when things are not going so well on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Had another formal observation today.
    The build up was a nightmare. My class teacher checked my plan and added things to it. Then the headteacher checked my plan and added yet more to it. It went from a two-page plan to a four-page plan! Plus, the headteacher said I was going to be teaching the children incorrectly, as I was going to teach them to move the numbers along the place-value columns, leaving the decimal point fixed. She kept insisting that you change the decimal point.
    Then, my STCC - who was observing me - turned up 50 minutes late! The head told me not to start until he got there, as she wanted him to see it all, so that meant that we ended up doing some reading and stuff as a class before hand [because we didn't know when he was going to turn up]. So, by the time I actually started my lesson, I was amazed the children were even awake!

In the end, he said I had shown improvement and he was happier than last time. I kept my cool - mainly because I was angry with him, so I refused to get upset over anything.

It is nice that he said it was better but it messed up the whole day. This afternoon, because we ended up working into lunch time, I had to let the children have a break. I didn't begrudge the children - none of it was there fault - but that left me with 20 minutes for my RE lesson, so the class teacher told me not to bother. So, because my STCC was so late, he left the children confused and messed up the afternoon. Not impressed, to be honest.

But, I am feeling quite positive - surprisingly. I am glad that I stood my ground a bit more - especially over the decimal point [as four other teachers in school and my STCC agreed that the decimal point is fixed - if I had switched and taught it as the head told me, I would have been marked down for teaching misconceptions]. Plus, I have two more days at this school. That's it. I can't wait for the weekend!

And, this weekend is going to be amazing. A close friend from college is coming up and we are spending Friday night today - take away, wine and possible a trip into town for dancing is definitely on the cards.
    I'm glad things are going better. It's sometimes just bad luck that things seem to go wrong on some placements for no good reason. Things might be 1000 times better in another school. Don't give up and get disheartened. It's nearly over.

I'm also looking forward to moving to another placement school. It almost feels as though my progress is stalling where I'm currently teaching - and I don't believe I'm necessarily the one at fault for this. On the other hand, I'm getting my teeth into my classes and enjoying the actual teaching (which is surely what matters?!) immensely. We switch at Easter so there's plenty of time left here to crack on.

Another paper due over half term. It's really mean that we're given assignments to write during the school holidays! I long for a time when I can settle down with a book of my own choosing and not feel guilty for doing so!

ReputationRep:
      Its two years of grimness really. The PGCE and then the year spent as a probationary teacher (which varies depending on which job you get but is still hard!!!)

After that it really does get easier (until the whole school goes into melt-down over Ofsted periodically)

Still a great job though overall.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rainy)
      I'm also looking forward to moving to another placement school. It almost feels as though my progress is stalling where I'm currently teaching - and I don't believe I'm necessarily the one at fault for this. On the other hand, I'm getting my teeth into my classes and enjoying the actual teaching (which is surely what matters?!) immensely. We switch at Easter so there's plenty of time left here to crack on.

Another paper due over half term. It's really mean that we're given assignments to write during the school holidays! I long for a time when I can settle down with a book of my own choosing and not feel guilty for doing so!
      Assignments seem to be pretty badly timed on all pgce course.

On mine, we have 5000 MA-level words due next Wednesday, despite us being on placement for the entire three week period since it was set and us being in university 9am-5pm next week. Most of us haven't started yet - when you have your planning, marking, reflections etc, it is hard to find the time to focus on an essay.

The next essay is again due when we are on placement. Another 5000 MA-level words. Pfft at their organisation is all I can say...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.