Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Ah brilliant thanks!
    Just worried I didn't firm right or something stupid and I lose my place in the most embarrassing way possible!
    Haha, I'm sure you haven't! The most I got actually was a letter from UCAS with my final choices on it, saying that I can change my mind once. But that's all really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Firstly, there was an email with attachments about when Freshers will take place, and that they wanted some passport photos to be sent, etc. and that they would start assigning first year rooms when we firm them. Also a leaflet on funding, and an application form for the Christ Church Bursary.
    There were also emails directed more to international students, talking about sorting out visas etc. , and to students with disability status also.
    And then recently they have asked for us to tell them how we will be funding our studies, by either applying for studentfinance online when possible, or completing financial guarantee forms (International).
    It seems like Christ Church are just planning ahead, and trying to get as much information sorted out as quickly as possible. But then I know they are a big college, so maybe this could be why?
    Have you already accepted your offer through UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

My UCAS deadline for accepting offers appears to be 7 June. I applied for funding at Oxford and want to accept the offer only after being successful in obtaining the scholarship.

Do you think it would be a problem if I accept the offer in May? When do we sign the college contract and the financial guarantee?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaahhh, went to visit Oxford today. Really excited now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omio)
    Have you already accepted your offer through UCAS?
    Yeah, I accepted it late January. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omio)
    Hi there!

My UCAS deadline for accepting offers appears to be 7 June.
    I applied for funding at Oxford and want to accept the offer only after being successful in obtaining the scholarship.

Do you think it would be a problem if I accept the offer in May? When do we sign the college contract and the financial guarantee?

Thanks in advance.
    Do mind if i ask when you were given a deadline?
    It won't come before all my options reply will it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrodrigues)

Thanks
    Your deadline is determined by when you get your last reply (offer or rejection).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrodrigues)

Thanks
    The deadline appeared in January, when the last decision came in. And yes, your deadline won't appear until all your applications have been replied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cob007)
    Modern Languages at Exeter College - French and German

Anyone else have offers from Exeter?
    Wow! Another Exonian, doing German! I think we should shake hands on camaraderie We'll be seeing plenty of each other in the next for years.

(Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Basically, I feel that recognition of achievement can be important to some people, but if not done carefully can cause issues
    I agree This makes me extra pleased that we'll both be oging to Exeter! So -- Hullo you What's your name and whence have you came?

(Original post by mapontikos)
    Woah! More Exonians! It's great to have a 1st year on the forum with us

(Original post by Bax-man)
    (Original post by J_stev)
    (Original post by sangin know)
    And more! Exeter is clearly the place to be.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Fiona and I'm on a gap year. It happened like this -- the day the results came out and I realised I got in and therefore would have to go to Oxford, I panicked, decided I needed a year to work through depression and to decide if I even wanted to go to University, never mind Oxford. My fellow (who cob007 has maybe met in the German interview?) was really understanding and I'm happy that it was the right decision to make

It's taken me a good 12 months to come round to the fact that I'll be studying at Oxford (it started at "oh no, do I have to, why doesn't Edinburgh want me?" and worked its way through "oh all right then", "well, I do like the city..." to now almost looking forward to it :P). I realise it's a bit unorthodox not to have hoped and dreamed for years about Oxford, but I'll take it as it comes and won't knock it till I've tried it.

What about you? What's your Oxford story - how did the interview go? Do you have any reservations? What are you most looking forward to? And most importantly, did you see the garden? :O

Edit: I'm worried I've come off ungrateful above. Just to clarify: I'm upbeat and chipper! Not grouchy and petulant. You understand how the internet can mess these things up.

What about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry at Wadham

any others at wadham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    Wow! Another Exonian, doing German! I think we should shake hands on camaraderie We'll be seeing plenty of each other in the next for years.

I agree This makes me extra pleased that we'll both be oging to Exeter! So -- Hullo you What's your name and whence have you came?

Woah! More Exonians! It's great to have a 1st year on the forum with us

And more! Exeter is clearly the place to be.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Fiona and I'm on a gap year. It happened like this -- the day the results came out and I realised I got in and therefore would have to go to Oxford, I panicked, decided I needed a year to work through depression and to decide if I even wanted to go to University, never mind Oxford. My fellow (who cob007 has maybe met in the German interview?) was really understanding and I'm happy that it was the right decision to make

It's taken me a good 12 months to come round to the fact that I'll be studying at Oxford (it started at "oh no, do I have to, why doesn't Edinburgh want me?" and worked its way through "oh all right then", "well, I do like the city..." to now almost looking forward to it :P). I realise it's a bit unorthodox not to have hoped and dreamed for years about Oxford, but I'll take it as it comes and won't knock it till I've tried it.

What about you? What's your Oxford story - how did the interview go? Do you have any reservations? What are you most looking forward to? And most importantly, did you see the garden? :O

Edit: I'm worried I've come off ungrateful above. Just to clarify: I'm upbeat and chipper! Not grouchy and petulant. You understand how the internet can mess these things up.

What about you guys?
    Hi Fiona, I'm Adam.

I'm afraid I don't have such a tale. I'm quite curious as to why you originally preferred Edinburgh over Oxford (not that the former isn't amazing), or why you were somewhat reluctant initially to take up your offer. Was it the course, the environment, the pressure?

I applied as a reapplicant to Worcester College, before being reallocated pre-interview. As it happens, Exeter's absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to start in October. The only slight draw-back? Not being housed for all three years, but when I'm receiving what is arguably the best education in the country in an environment that architecturally has been in almost a "bubble" since the seventeenth century, I can hardly complain. I was fortunate enough at interview to make friends with some fantastic prospective PPEists, two of whom have also received offers which has eliminated almost entirely any pre-matriculation nerves.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Firmed my offer today :O
    Insured Sheffield.

It was a tense moment :P

ReputationRep:
    I firmed mine yesterday.... it made me sooo nervous!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    my offer is for Mathematics and Computer Science from Merton
    (Original post by nkvuong)
    Maths & CS at Merton. Any more mathematicians at Oxford next year?

ReputationRep:
    OXFORDDDDDDDDD! OH HOW I LOVE YOU! CANNOT WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER....

or maybe I can if summer modules go badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    I'm quite curious as to why you originally preferred Edinburgh over Oxford (not that the former isn't amazing), or why you were somewhat reluctant initially to take up your offer. Was it the course, the environment, the pressure?

I applied as a reapplicant to Worcester College.

The only slight draw-back? Not being housed for all three years.
    Hi Adam! To answer your question, there is a long list of reasons for why I preferred Edinburgh but here is a boiled down version: I have a passion for Scandinavia and wanted to study that subject; I generally don't like the South of England nor do I feel at home here, so I wanted to 'return' to what feels more like my homeland as I am Scottish/German; I adore the flexibility of the course structure there; it is closer to my aunts, uncles cousins etc; Edinburgh is a very good place to be a singer/songwriter or just generally a creative young person; there is less academic pressure.

Upsides to Oxford: despite the fact that I have a deeply unreasonable and luckily steadily decreasing animosity towards the South, Oxford is a town where I've felt felicitously at home and at peace since I first stepped foot in the place manymanymany years ago (that's why I applied); shorter terms - yay!; funny little traditions; college system, especially Exeter which I love as several people I hugely admire have studied here (Tolkien, Pullman, Alan Bennet, Reeta Chakrabarti, and William Morris) and because of its gardens of course; proximity to an international airport!

For me the fact that you only live in college one year is an upside - a huge one! So I'm very much looking forward to that.

Funnily enough, the only other college I seriously considered applying to was Worcester because of the beautiful gardens. I'm a bare-feet-in-grass kind of person so the proximity to nature was important for me.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to doublepost but -- are there any other gap yearers on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    Sorry to doublepost but -- are there any other gap yearers on this thread?
    Hello! Working in an office to earn some £ before uni. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omio)
    Hi there!

My UCAS deadline for accepting offers appears to be 7 June. I applied for funding at Oxford and want to accept the offer only after being successful in obtaining the scholarship.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm probably wrong but I didn't think you could apply for a scholarship until you were actually at the University in term time??? Obviously there are college grants etc. but as well you don't get told about them till your at the uni as well.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danhirons)
    I'm probably wrong but I didn't think you could apply for a scholarship until you were actually at the University in term time??? Obviously there are college grants etc. but as well you don't get told about them till your at the uni as well.....
    You are probably referring to College and Departmental Awards and Scholarships, which are given on the basis of examination performance. However, I have applied for a university-wide scholarship for new students which is awarded in May, before the course starts.

Do you think it would be entirely OK to accept my offer in mid-May?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.