Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fa|ique)
    Well, we just read Tort in our first year, criminal in our second. The reading list would pretty much be the textbooks and casebooks that we use, and I wouldn't encourage you to start reading those until you're actually at university. Maybe background reading into the Law would be more useful...
    Thanks for the info! However, I'm still kind of worried because I heard horror stories of students in Nottingham ending up with 2:2 even after hardwork...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vh2006)
    Thanks for the info! However, I'm still kind of worried because I heard horror stories of students in Nottingham ending up with 2:2 even after hardwork...
    You'll find such stories everywhere. I'm sure you've even encountered such people back in Singapore.

It's not just about how hard you work or how much time you spend on your work - it's about HOW you work in the first place. Technique!

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Exams over. Am totally bored, thus back to haunt the boards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    You'll find such stories everywhere. I'm sure you've even encountered such people back in Singapore.

It's not just about how hard you work or how much time you spend on your work - it's about HOW you work in the first place. Technique!
    Yeah, I know. Hope someone would share his or her technique for getting 2:1 and above...Nevertheless, I would not know which technique is suitable for me until I start my course Now, the only thing I could do is just to read the books and get a feel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Meh. Exams over. Am totally bored, thus back to haunt the boards!
    This should be the last place you visit Alvin...there's no reason for you to be on a UK-based forum! :eek: Well done on finishing the exams though.
    (Original post by vh2006)
    Yeah, I know. Hope someone would share his or her technique for getting 2:1 and above...Nevertheless, I would not know which technique is suitable for me until I start my course Now, the only thing I could do is just to read the books and get a feel...
    Sounds like a good start. :gthumb:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Really, you shouldn't worry yourself too much about it until you get to university. I was really apprehensive at first too, thinking I was gonna crash and burn. But I got my first Tort essay back, and I got a first for it! Once you get to university, then you can get a feel of what the work is like and then develop your technique and fine-tune your study skills.

Anyways, a good background reading into the Law would be books like Glanville Williams' Learning the Law and The Law Machine by Marcel Berlins and Clare Dyer. I found reading those books before entering uni to be quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info! Do you still have The Law Machine? Do you intend to sell it?
    By the way, would you like to share your technique?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I still have The Law Machine, but am intent on keeping it though. They should sell it at Kino, at least that's where I got mine.

For me there wasn't really a technique to it. As long as you know your stuff, there shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you know your cases well, especially the point of law associated with it, and you should be fine. Then again, it helps if, like me, you love writing essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fa|ique)
    Yeah, I still have The Law Machine, but am intent on keeping it though. They should sell it at Kino, at least that's where I got mine.

For me there wasn't really a technique to it. As long as you know your stuff, there shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you know your cases well, especially the point of law associated with it, and you should be fine. Then again, it helps if, like me, you love writing essays.
    Thanks, I'll have a look there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Malaysian, any1 from around here doing pre-u studies (A-levels, IB, AUSMAT, etc..) I'd like to get to know some Singaporean friends...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewlee89)
    I'm Malaysian, any1 from around here doing pre-u studies (A-levels, IB, AUSMAT, etc..) I'd like to get to know some Singaporean friends...
    Chances are not many of them will be hanging around here, especially at this time of the year.

Some will probably pop by closer to this year's round of applications.

ReputationRep:
    heys... JC1 this year.... anyway any vjc ppl going back for Sea Regatta??..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)
    heys... JC1 this year.... anyway any vjc ppl going back for Sea Regatta??..
    When is it? I have a feeling it's today. :p: First Saturday of O1 week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    When is it? I have a feeling it's today. :p: First Saturday of O1 week?
    No - it's usually been on the Saturday of the second week.

Don't know about this year though.

ReputationRep:
    No - it's usually been on the Saturday of the second week.

Don't know about this year though.
    Nope.

In 2004, it was the Saturday of the first week. I know based on a copy of the proposal I have.

In 2005, it was the Friday of the first week: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache%...ient=firefox-a.

In 2006, it was the Monday of the second week: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/02_calendarOfEvents.shtml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Nope.

In 2004, it was the Saturday of the first week. I know based on a copy of the proposal I have.

In 2005, it was the Friday of the first week: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache%...ient=firefox-a.

In 2006, it was the Monday of the second week: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/02_calendarOfEvents.shtml.
    Goodness me - I never knew one could get that bored. :\

Insane.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me - I never knew one could get that bored. :\

Insane.

:getmecoat:
    That barely took a minute, if even that. And I was sure I was right.

ReputationRep:
    Oh lol. to clear all doubts.

O1. 3rd 4th 5th Jan
    Sea regatta: Tomorrow! Do come eh if you're in singapore

Oh yeah mass dance at suntec also. 8pm -9pm.. and i can finally get to know your identities.. muahhaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acezhiquan)
    Oh lol. to clear all doubts.

O1. 3rd 4th 5th Jan
    Sea regatta: Tomorrow! Do come eh if you're in singapore

Oh yeah mass dance at suntec also. 8pm -9pm.. and i can finally get to know your identities.. muahhaha
    What? O1 lasts for just three days now?! :grr: :hmmm:

Thank goodness mine was for five!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.