Singapore Kopitiam Watch

vh2006
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fa|ique)
Well, we just read Tort in our first year, criminal in our second. The reading list would pretty much be the textbooks and casebooks that we use, and I wouldn't encourage you to start reading those until you're actually at university. Maybe background reading into the Law would be more useful...
Thanks for the info! However, I'm still kind of worried because I heard horror stories of students in Nottingham ending up with 2:2 even after hardwork...
Nutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vh2006)
Thanks for the info! However, I'm still kind of worried because I heard horror stories of students in Nottingham ending up with 2:2 even after hardwork...
You'll find such stories everywhere. I'm sure you've even encountered such people back in Singapore.

It's not just about how hard you work or how much time you spend on your work - it's about HOW you work in the first place. Technique!
soonalvin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Meh. Exams over. Am totally bored, thus back to haunt the boards!
vh2006
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nutter)
You'll find such stories everywhere. I'm sure you've even encountered such people back in Singapore.

It's not just about how hard you work or how much time you spend on your work - it's about HOW you work in the first place. Technique!
Yeah, I know. Hope someone would share his or her technique for getting 2:1 and above...Nevertheless, I would not know which technique is suitable for me until I start my course Now, the only thing I could do is just to read the books and get a feel...
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by soonalvin)
Meh. Exams over. Am totally bored, thus back to haunt the boards!
This should be the last place you visit Alvin...there's no reason for you to be on a UK-based forum! :eek: Well done on finishing the exams though.
(Original post by vh2006)
Yeah, I know. Hope someone would share his or her technique for getting 2:1 and above...Nevertheless, I would not know which technique is suitable for me until I start my course Now, the only thing I could do is just to read the books and get a feel...
Sounds like a good start. :gthumb:
vh2006
Report 13 years ago
Fa|ique
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Really, you shouldn't worry yourself too much about it until you get to university. I was really apprehensive at first too, thinking I was gonna crash and burn. But I got my first Tort essay back, and I got a first for it! Once you get to university, then you can get a feel of what the work is like and then develop your technique and fine-tune your study skills.

Anyways, a good background reading into the Law would be books like Glanville Williams' Learning the Law and The Law Machine by Marcel Berlins and Clare Dyer. I found reading those books before entering uni to be quite useful.
vh2006
Report 13 years ago
Thanks for the info! Do you still have The Law Machine? Do you intend to sell it?
By the way, would you like to share your technique?
Fa|ique
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, I still have The Law Machine, but am intent on keeping it though. They should sell it at Kino, at least that's where I got mine.

For me there wasn't really a technique to it. As long as you know your stuff, there shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you know your cases well, especially the point of law associated with it, and you should be fine. Then again, it helps if, like me, you love writing essays.
vh2006
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fa|ique)
Yeah, I still have The Law Machine, but am intent on keeping it though. They should sell it at Kino, at least that's where I got mine.

For me there wasn't really a technique to it. As long as you know your stuff, there shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you know your cases well, especially the point of law associated with it, and you should be fine. Then again, it helps if, like me, you love writing essays.
Thanks, I'll have a look there.
andrewlee89
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm Malaysian, any1 from around here doing pre-u studies (A-levels, IB, AUSMAT, etc..) I'd like to get to know some Singaporean friends...
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by andrewlee89)
I'm Malaysian, any1 from around here doing pre-u studies (A-levels, IB, AUSMAT, etc..) I'd like to get to know some Singaporean friends...
Chances are not many of them will be hanging around here, especially at this time of the year.

Some will probably pop by closer to this year's round of applications.
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
heys... JC1 this year.... anyway any vjc ppl going back for Sea Regatta??..
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by acezhiquan)
heys... JC1 this year.... anyway any vjc ppl going back for Sea Regatta??..
When is it? I have a feeling it's today. :p: First Saturday of O1 week?
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
When is it? I have a feeling it's today. :p: First Saturday of O1 week?
No - it's usually been on the Saturday of the second week.

Don't know about this year though.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No - it's usually been on the Saturday of the second week.

Don't know about this year though.
Nope.

In 2004, it was the Saturday of the first week. I know based on a copy of the proposal I have.

In 2005, it was the Friday of the first week: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache%...ient=firefox-a.

In 2006, it was the Monday of the second week: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/02_calendarOfEvents.shtml.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
Nope.

In 2004, it was the Saturday of the first week. I know based on a copy of the proposal I have.

In 2005, it was the Friday of the first week: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache%...ient=firefox-a.

In 2006, it was the Monday of the second week: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/02_calendarOfEvents.shtml.
Goodness me - I never knew one could get that bored. :\

Insane.

:getmecoat:
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Goodness me - I never knew one could get that bored. :\

Insane.

:getmecoat:
That barely took a minute, if even that. And I was sure I was right.
acezhiquan
Report 13 years ago
Oh lol. to clear all doubts.

O1. 3rd 4th 5th Jan
Sea regatta: Tomorrow! Do come eh if you're in singapore

Oh yeah mass dance at suntec also. 8pm -9pm.. and i can finally get to know your identities.. muahhaha
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by acezhiquan)
Oh lol. to clear all doubts.

O1. 3rd 4th 5th Jan
Sea regatta: Tomorrow! Do come eh if you're in singapore

Oh yeah mass dance at suntec also. 8pm -9pm.. and i can finally get to know your identities.. muahhaha
What? O1 lasts for just three days now?! :grr: :hmmm:

Thank goodness mine was for five!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (162)
51.76%
No (151)
48.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise