The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Fas
i have a massive problem in the sense that one of the senior management team in my school told me they " refer to good scores and ignore bad performance " in the reference - pretty much the exact same thing ive bolded. is there any way to convince them to include all my AS scores for the 3 subjects im taking on next year ( didn't do great , highest score was 90% in Maths )

It's not so bad if it's in the reference because all teachers tend to do this, but if you are applying to top 5 universities I wouldn't shout about your UMS in your reference if it is <90%. Instead it would be better for them to say how high you came in the year overall or something like that (if you went to a below average school).
Got our maths predicted grades, and what do you know I'm predicted an A! Now I have a chance to apply to uni's that I would like to go to..Just need to decide those first :colondollar:

Almost finished my 1st draft of my PS (yes im late) xD
Original post by blazekid75
Got our maths predicted grades, and what do you know I'm predicted an A! Now I have a chance to apply to uni's that I would like to go to..Just need to decide those first :colondollar:

Nice, where you looking to apply?
Original post by NedStark
Nice, where you looking to apply?

Tbh I have no clue,it also depends on my predicted grades for my other subjects :eek:
Original post by blazekid75

Kind of annoyed that I still haven't gotten mine yet. Whenever I ask it's like you'll get them soon etc.
Original post by Dilzo999
Kind of annoyed that I still haven't gotten mine yet. Whenever I ask it's like you'll get them soon etc.

supposedly getting ours on Monday , although it's a bit stupid cos ive already found out what im predicted from my teachers already ( A*AA )
hows Personal statements going for everyone then ?
Reply 947
Original post by Fas

Finished. Paid and sent so once my teacher finishes his reference I'll be all done :smile:
Reply 948
Original post by Fas

Awaiting feedback :P
Took a lot of the essay competitions out, and replaced them by talking more about what i done in EPQ/Criticisms of books... Hopefully thats what the admissions would rather see! (I hope!)

Wbu?
Original post by Giant
Finished. Paid and sent so once my teacher finishes his reference I'll be all done :smile:

noot baaad , i think ive pretty much done mine so hopefully should be ready to apply this time next week ! :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
Awaiting feedback :P
Took a lot of the essay competitions out, and replaced them by talking more about what i done in EPQ/Criticisms of books... Hopefully thats what the admissions would rather see! (I hope!)

Wbu?

same haha , going through my latest draft with my Econ teacher on Monday :P

aye same ive done a lot of that , gone for EPQ - critically analysed a contrasting viewpoint that the books differ on , and talked about a third book what ive learnt from the book. im sure thats the kind of stuff admissions tutors like to see , but we'll see i guess :smile:

ive also tried to make it interesting by reflecting on what ive seen and linking it to economics , apparently if you do that well it can be a deal-sealer but if you do it badly it can be a deal-breaker haha :tongue:
Original post by Fas

Finished my final draft but it's 47 lines and around 3900 characters. I'm debating whether to just get rid of lines between the paragraphs. Nonetheless, I paid and sent it off so that I can get the references from school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas

Into my third draft, by the looks of it, all the usual posters on this are done and dusted.

I should have it completed soon though. Just struggling to keep the word count down.
Reply 953
Into my third draft, by the looks of it, all the usual posters on this are done and dusted.

I should have it completed soon though. Just struggling to keep the word count down.

UCAS is a bit iffy with the character limit.

I had 4000 characters on the dot using MS Word, but this was somehow 12 characters too long on UCAS...:confused:
Original post by Giant

I had 4000 characters on the dot using MS Word, but this was somehow 12 characters too long on UCAS...:confused:

I think they also want you to keep it under 47 lines.

But on a side note, I'm torn between Bristol and Bath. Anyone got any advice on which to pick?
Reply 955
I think they also want you to keep it under 47 lines.

But on a side note, I'm torn between Bristol and Bath. Anyone got any advice on which to pick?

If it's for insurance, go for whichever one has the lower offer.

I also know that Bath have a really, really great placement year in industry that I would definitely recommend looking into
Original post by Giant

On UCAS, 'enter' is 2 characters.
Reply 957
Original post by purplemind
On UCAS, 'enter' is 2 characters.

:s-smilie: That's dumb
Original post by Giant

I also know that Bath have a really, really great placement year in industry that I would definitely recommend looking into

They are both A*AA :tongue:
Original post by Giant

I suppose they are my main choices, I'm not going with any insurances. All the other 4 will be above and a risk.

Both are A*AA and I like the look of the Bath placement year but I suppose at the end of the day it's whether I like Campus or City and I don't know how I'm meant to tell which I like. I haven't been able to visit any open days which is a shame.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending