Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    50th Anniversary Spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Leaked Script Page-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFkfjK4NfY so it appears almost certain that everybody has been lying or not been informed about it yet because "other doctors" heavily implies more than the 10th Doctor will appear
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    :lolwut:

He will have to wear hats for his final series as the Doctor then.
    ey? Do you not think with the series finale in 6 days they might have already finished filming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    ey? Do you not think with the series finale in 6 days they might have already finished filming?
    I was making a point about filming for the next series obviously...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I was making a point about filming for the next series obviously...
    The next series coming in about a years time? Yeah, I'm sure his hair won't grow back in that time...

ReputationRep:
    The next series coming in about a years time? Yeah, I'm sure his hair won't grow back in that time...
    The filming of which will start in less than a years time and he has to keep his head shaved whilst filming his current project :facepalm2:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The filming of which will start in less than a years time and he has to keep his head shaved whilst filming his current project :facepalm2:
    And how long will that project last? Do you not think maybe if there wasn't enough time after the project had finished to get his doctor hair back that he might have said no, given he was under contract with the beeb for dr who before picking that project up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahjongmagic)
    Me too, won't be long before someone leaks the whole episode onto the internet...

For that reason I will believe it when I see it, seems to be zero uploads so far not even fakes.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the first say 4-5 episodes of Dr Who, my favourite episode being the Ghost one, because it was so philosophical and emotionally packed. Clara realizing the Doctor is a time-lord, and she's a moral being that will be seperated from him in this life, the ghosts and the pocket universe was a nice tough.

If you read my posts, you will notice i am an ardent Dr Who fan. However...the 'blind girl' episode was terrible. So much potential with Clara and Matt Smith, they are such good actors, we could easily write such a better story line.

...but i kinda liked it. That ends there though. I almost cringed at the ending..almost cringed. Don't get me wrong, i love it when children get a shot at being part of a series...but the ending was so cheesy, so out of place...photo's from school ? The kids didn't even look shocked or surprised...

And the episode after? You're on a time-travelling machine with a 900 year old space alien and the kids barely looked excited? They were talking as if they were in detention, 'Oh boring box'. Totally out of place.

I loved all the previous episodes, the Clara Oswald addition is brilliant. But the last two episodes - and i hate to say it- with the kids...was just dissapointing. They are not bad actors, they were just given terrible scripts.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody! Chill! It's hair. :rolleyes:

Interesting 50th anniversary spoiler from Dalek1099 above.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'll be amazed if they've managed to keep the other doctors a secret though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    Was that the first Doctor Who episode this series that people have actually died in? Probably why I liked it, the ending didn't make the bad guys turn out to be nice, there was no button that made everyone come back to life and there was no speeches about love which have been plaguing this series. Why was Clara so shocked to see a picture of herself in Victorian London though? Obviously this is going to be the first step towards her realising she's lived more than once, but if I saw a picture of myself somewhere I hadn't been my first thought would just be that it must be somewhere I'm going to time travel back to at some point.
    Also Jenny is a lot more likeable than Clara, shame she isn't the companion.
    Jenny is quite a good actor, and i sort of agree with you, but i like Clara Oswald too much (i.e she fits the plot very well)...so noooo

ReputationRep:
    I think he looks a lot better with shorter hair personally... but maybe I don't see the crisis because I am not a girl.

Yes, Dalek's spoiler is interesting :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I feel like I don't really know Clara's character yet. She's been in 5 episodes (as the most recent incarnation) and I feel like she's still a little out of reach, not quite a fully drawn character, though I can't quite put my finger on why...
    I would disagree - but i see what you mean.

To be fair, i personally feel i know Clara very well.

The russian submarine episode when she said : "Saved the world then? That's what we do", the melody that plays every time she is on, the fact she talked with that singing girl in episode 2, how talkative she is, the fact she asked such a deep question of the doctor: "so i'll die and you'll live and forget me (kind of what she said), in the ghost episode after seeing the last days of the earth and realizing she is there somewhere.

I think i have an inkling on who clara is:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think Clara is River Song , but Clara is also a time lord, and she transforms into river. That explains the time-overlap, how she just keeps living ect

ReputationRep:
    And how long will that project last? Do you not think maybe if there wasn't enough time after the project had finished to get his doctor hair back that he might have said no, given he was under contract with the beeb for dr who before picking that project up?
    He can always wear a wig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    50th Anniversary Spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Leaked Script Page-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFkfjK4NfY so it appears almost certain that everybody has been lying or not been informed about it yet because "other doctors" heavily implies more than the 10th Doctor will appear
    I read somewhere that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    John Hurt will be playing another Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    I thought the episode was... ok I guess.

I quite liked the thing with Strax (genuinely made me chuckle) but wasn't too fond of the whole story really... (my reaction was more of a wtf expression all the way through it more than anything...) plus I think Victorian Britain (or a lookalike) is getting a bit too overused to be honest.

Gotta be honest though, I think it's not as good as it used to be anyway - as someone mentioned before episodes like the Girl in the Fireplace were really good. Bar a good number of episodes from series 5, and 1 or 2 from series 6, I don't think anything really compares to how they were back then anyway... maybe I'm just getting too old for it now.
    My goodness, the episode with the girl in the fireplace was IMMENSE.

Can i just add , all of tom eccelstones episode were amazing!

Matt Smith and clara oswald are both great actors, so much potential, but just need better scripts and writers who can produce a proper script!

The submarine episode was BRILLIANT!. The trapped episode i loved. Why can't they understand what works?

I hate wasted potential.

ReputationRep:
    C L A R A O S W A L D ?

R I V E R S O N G

Can we rearrange that ?

ReputationRep:
    My god, Matt Smith with his head shaved just looks like a thug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    I would disagree - but i see what you mean.

To be fair, i personally feel i know Clara very well.

The russian submarine episode when she said : "Saved the world then? That's what we do", the melody that plays every time she is on, the fact she talked with that singing girl in episode 2, how talkative she is, the fact she asked such a deep question of the doctor: "so i'll die and you'll live and forget me (kind of what she said), in the ghost episode after seeing the last days of the earth and realizing she is there somewhere.

I think i have an inkling on who clara is:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think Clara is River Song , but Clara is also a time lord, and she transforms into river. That explains the time-overlap, how she just keeps living ect
    Two problems with that theory (and other speculation) :

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. River doesn't have any regenerations left, she gave them all up to save the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler.
    2. Even if that was possible, Time Lords regenerate into totally new people/bodies each time, while Clara looks exactly the same and has the same personality each time.

There might well be some connection with River, but maybe there's more to it than that.

I had wondered whether maybe the Doctor and River had a daughter together, Clara, but that still wouldn't explain everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    C L A R A O S W A L D ?

R I V E R S O N G

Can we rearrange that ?
    No I. Even if you had 'oswin', then no V.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Two problems with that theory (and other speculation) :

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. River doesn't have any regenerations left, she gave them all up to save the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler.
    2. Even if that was possible, Time Lords regenerate into totally new people/bodies each time, while Clara looks exactly the same and has the same personality each time.

There might well be some connection with River, but maybe there's more to it than that.

I had wondered whether maybe the Doctor and River had a daughter together, Clara, but that still wouldn't explain everything...
    Indeed. But you know, in Dr Who a lot of paradoxes occur but i was very speculative , good points.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.