Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread III watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Well, the league was already won, so I wasn't too bothered about the draw against Setubal. It was nice to see Paulo Lopes get his league debut.

Porto losing to Olhanense was all sorts of "WTF?!" though. How did that happen? And yeh, now the bottom of the table looks very very interesting. I'm sure Paços and Belenenses must be rueing their luck after seeing Olhanense manage to beat Porto.

Anyway, League Cup is done! Another trophy for the collection

The match started off pretty hard though, Rio Ave caused a lot of problems and we didn't really do enough to be going into HT with a 1-0 lead. We improved in the second half though, and after that, Ventura made a bunch of good saves to keep Rio Ave in the game. In the end, it was two set pieces that killed off the game

The quadruple is still on, and I really hope I can still say that exactly 7 days from now!

Also. Do you really think Benfica will win this weekend? I really doubt it.. we're most likely gonna play Steven Vitoria again, and rest pretty much everyone that can play in the Europa final. Fair enough, it'll mean Enzo, Markovic and Salvio will probably play, and Cardozo, Djuricic, Jardel and Artur will also probably play.................. OK, I can see why you think that >_>

EDIT: Although that said, I've just read that JJ will most likely play some B Team players. So hey, there's your chance to beat us!

EDIT2: OH, also, new manager for Porto. Never heard of Lopetegui before, but he has an interesting cv. Being someone who has been successful with the Spanish national youth team will surely mean he will know some young gems that haven't had the chance to make the step up. And will also probably be much more willing to give Porto's youngsters a chance to show their worth. So that's good. But I do wonder if he is ready for a team like Porto where the pressure is very high. Interesting that Porto didn't turn to Marco Silva, probably wanting to go for someone more experienced this time. We are also starting to hear about Monaco wanting Jardim or JJ, so I still get the feeling that Marco Silva will get the chance to make a move to a bigger team at the end of the season.
    Ah, got a bit to catch up on!

Two trophies down, another two to go. Tomorrow you could get your hands on your third and come Sunday Evening you could have all four to hand! Would be cracking stuff for you guys if you pull off the quadruple. I think the thing I'm just looking forward to most is seeing the Jamor on Sunday

I didn’t watch our game. I don’t think I’ve ever chosen a night out over a Porto-Benfica match but on this occasion I did! No idea if the penalties were penalties or how good a game it was or anything. Hopefully next season this game will not be played on the last day of the season so there will be a good chance it will mean something. Paços - from last seasons Champions League to this seasons relegation play-off. Huge shame but Bebé has seemed to hit form right in this crucial stage so every chance they can stay up vs Aves.

Yes, a new manager for Porto. I say it’s a bit of risk as he hasn’t really coached at club level but I guess he’s been pretty successful with the under 19s and 21s. But let’s face it, he can’t do any worse than this season, surely? I wouldn’t mind if he could lure a few of these young Spaniards too. I know, I expected Marco Silva too but there we go, looks like he is off to Sporting as it looks like Jardim is off to Monaco. It would have been good for Jardim to stay with Sporting for a bit longer, such a shame if they lose him after a magnificent season but Marco Silva would be a great appointment for them.

World Cup provisional squad chosen. I have to say I’m disappointed to not see Adrien included. It’s a shame for him to miss out as he has barely put a foot wrong for Sporting. Bebé possibly could have been called up as he's been doing okay at the moment. Obviously Nani was going to be called up, waste of a space as someone who has actually had a decent season (or at least played) should have been included there. I won’t be happy if he’s in the final 23 though. On the other hand – Antunes. Probably as far as he’ll make it but nice to see him at least thought about for that.

And lastly, good luck for tomorrow. It will probably be the icing on the cake if you win tomorrow night. I guess it would be pretty nice for you lot to win it - it's not like it's going to make much difference to our season as we've already reached the lowest point we could have reached. You can brag about all sorts of things like kicking us out of two semi-finals,having a 13 point gap, winning the league and generally being the best side in Portugal this season... so winning the Europa League can just be added to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Well, there you have it, you've got the win you dearly wanted

It was nice to see players like cancelo and Bernardo Silva get some minutes for the first team.

Porto dominated as expect, although I'm surprised you didn't win by a bigger margin. Ricardo looked really good as well, probably the best I've seen him all season.

On the other end of the table, looks like belenenses saved themselves. Olhanense are down but I didn't know Paços still have a chance by going to some sort of play-off match? That's a really bad way to do things because that just puts the entire season's performance into one tie.

Anyway. Now you can look forward to the world cup (some strange selections for the squad) and we still have two more finals! Can't wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha how bizarre, I see we posted something at the same time! I won't go on, that was already a pretty long post with what i just said to you.

But yes, for the first time this season Porto pulled off the unexpected and completely surprised me in doing something I thought they wouldn't have been able to do! It makes all the difference now... Not just the one defeat for you this season!

Yeah, not a fan of the whole play-off thing but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't happy this has happened in Paços' situation because I really want them to stay up. This soft spot I have for them is ridiculous, I never thought I would be so bothered about them - I blame Antunes for this!

And finally, the World Cup is upon us! I've only been looking towards it for the past 5 months anyway! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    rar-ra-ra, aa2, what are your views on William Carvalho?

He's being linked away for a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    rar-ra-ra, aa2, what are your views on William Carvalho?

He's being linked away for a lot of money.
    He’s worth every single penny. He has been the best player in Portugal this season. I feel like I all I’ve done is rave about how great he is and how he has been such a key player for Sporting. When he hasn’t been in the squad (for example he was suspended vs Benfica) you could see the gap in the side and Sporting really struggled without him. It’ll be a huge loss for them if he leaves in the summer. It seems to be the case of when and not if now with all the reports which will be a huge shame for Sporting after gaining a CL place this season.

He is a big player so he’s got the strength to stand up and be strong, which is just the type of player you want to sit in front of the defence. He is just someone you can have in your team and trust him to put in a decent display. Rarely makes the mistake and stays calm when he’s on the ball. I’m sure you must have read it because the majority of reports I’ve read about him being linked to this club and that club tend to pick up on the fact him winning many of the player and young of the month awards.

Some credit should be given to Jardim for trusting in these youngsters and sticking by them as they have pulled off an incredible season. As for William Carvalho, it’s his first proper season in the Portuguese League and has surprised every one of us with how great a season he has had. Sometimes it’s hard to believe he’s still only 21 as he seems very mature for his age. Such a huge fan of him and i really hope he can keep this up if he leaves Sporting this summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    He’s worth every single penny. He has been the best player in Portugal this season. I feel like I all I’ve done is rave about how great he is and how he has been such a key player for Sporting. When he hasn’t been in the squad (for example he was suspended vs Benfica) you could see the gap in the side and Sporting really struggled without him. It’ll be a huge loss for them if he leaves in the summer. It seems to be the case of when and not if now with all the reports which will be a huge shame for Sporting after gaining a CL place this season.

He is a big player so he’s got the strength to stand up and be strong, which is just the type of player you want to sit in front of the defence. He is just someone you can have in your team and trust him to put in a decent display. Rarely makes the mistake and stays calm when he’s on the ball. I’m sure you must have read it because the majority of reports I’ve read about him being linked to this club and that club tend to pick up on the fact him winning many of the player and young of the month awards.

Some credit should be given to Jardim for trusting in these youngsters and sticking by them as they have pulled off an incredible season. As for William Carvalho, it’s his first proper season in the Portuguese League and has surprised every one of us with how great a season he has had. Sometimes it’s hard to believe he’s still only 21 as he seems very mature for his age. Such a huge fan of him and i really hope he can keep this up if he leaves Sporting this summer!
    Is his offensive game as good as his defensive? Or is that something that will need to be worked on?

Is he really worth the reported £37mil release clause? Or do you think Sporting Lisbon will let him go for something closer to £30mil?

ReputationRep:
    Would be fuming if I was a Benfica fan. Two tedious penalties.

ReputationRep:
    How did Benfica not win that? So many chances!

ReputationRep:
    them sevilla pens were dirty oh lawd

thats how u take pens!!

ReputationRep:
    ****ing bull**** on the penalty shoot out and Benfica have every right to complain in my book.

On Cardozo's penalty in particular the goalkeeper was a good 5-6 yards off his line. Should have been retaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    ****ing bull**** on the penalty shoot out and Benfica have every right to complain in my book.

On Cardozo's penalty in particular the goalkeeper was a good 5-6 yards off his line. Should have been retaken.
    I agree, but I'm sure you're not allowed to stop during your run-up either. Cardozo had it coming, should have taken it properly without dillydallying in the eighteen yard box while the keeper was hopping towards the six yard line.

Sevilla's penalties were disgusting. Whistled into the net.

ReputationRep:
    Those Sevilla penalties :drool:

Seem to recall their penalties were superb in an earlier round too, against Betis?

ReputationRep:
    Coke and Koke to win European honours this season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I agree, but I'm sure you're not allowed to stop during your run-up either. Cardozo had it coming, should have taken it properly without dillydallying in the eighteen yard box while the keeper was hopping towards the six yard line.

Sevilla's penalties were disgusting. Whistled into the net.
    Agreed. That rule was brought in a couple of years ago and Paul Pogba is the only guy I know off to get called up on it (in a FA Youth Cup game against Liverpool), annoys the hell out of me more than anything else in football when rules are introduced and then seemingly ignored entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, that penalty should have been retaken. And it was critical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Is his offensive game as good as his defensive? Or is that something that will need to be worked on?

Is he really worth the reported £37mil release clause? Or do you think Sporting Lisbon will let him go for something closer to £30mil?
    No, that's the side of his game that needs to be worked on but I think that will have to be done away from Sporting just because of the way Sporting play. Sporting rely heavily on their wingers to do the attacking so he'll just pass to them and let them do the work. I've seen around that he's been compared to Yaya Toure but I don't see it purely because Yaya will make the pass and can follow through with a great run whereas William will just make the pass and the others around him work it out - he does get into some great positions though which is help to them.

Despite his build he's actually pretty fast - I guess he's a bit like Mangala in that sense that they both look beasty but are actually quite fast once they get going. But because his positioning is usually inch perfect it's rare you see him burst into such pace.

It is a huge price for a 22 year old who has only really come into the spotlight this season but I know Sporting are very keen to hold onto him so I think it will have to be pretty close to £37m for them to accept it. Is he worth £37m now? I say no just because the attacking side of him does let him down... but it's nothing that can't be added into his game at some point during his career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)

Beto, Beto, Beto, Beto, Beto. :rolleyes: You knew it! We said it ourselves! Yes your penalties were poor and yes he came yards off his line but it had to come down to him in the end. Can't remember who had the shot - might have been Lima but Beto just tipped it over the bar, cracking save! Of course he was going to have a game like that!

You managed to do a Porto with playing alright, having a lot of chances but being absolutely wasteful with them! The importance of Enzo Perez to this team was shown right there in that match as he was really missed out there tonight, André Gomes did not fill the gap very well. Gave the ball away far too many times and a few wild shots from him! Even i missed Enzo. :eek:

Still can't take anything away from Benficas fantastic season. Managed to kill off teams you expected to lose against along the way and in the end it came down to the dreaded penalties. You'll probably look back at those chances and Beto coming off his goal line and then the rubbish penalties by Cardozo and Rodrigo - had it been against someone like Maritimo you know they wouldn't have messed around with their stupid run ups and probably would have smashed it in. Wrong choice at the end of the day. It's a shame but onto Sunday for you - at least you'll do the treble.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care about the rules. When you walk up to the ball stopping twice on the way I have no sympathy for you. The whole idea behind staggering the run up is to get the goalkeeper to move. Well, he did. Touch luck!

Great game though.

ReputationRep:
    Beto, Beto, Beto, Beto, Beto. :rolleyes: You knew it! We said it ourselves! Yes your penalties were poor and yes he came yards off his line but it had to come down to him in the end. Can't remember who had the shot - might have been Lima but Beto just tipped it over the bar, cracking save! Of course he was going to have a game like that!

You managed to do a Porto with playing alright, having a lot of chances but being absolutely wasteful with them! The importance of Enzo Perez to this team was shown right there in that match as he was really missed out there tonight, André Gomes did not fill the gap very well. Gave the ball away far too many times and a few wild shots from him! Even i missed Enzo. :eek:

Still can't take anything away from Benficas fantastic season. Managed to kill off teams you expected to lose against along the way and in the end it came down to the dreaded penalties. You'll probably look back at those chances and Beto coming off his goal line and then the rubbish penalties by Cardozo and Rodrigo - had it been against someone like Maritimo you know they wouldn't have messed around with their stupid run ups and probably would have smashed it in. Wrong choice at the end of the day. It's a shame but onto Sunday for you - at least you'll do the treble.

(this post came out longer than expected! grab some drinks, lol)

So disappointed with that result. I really thought this was gonna be our year. The most frustrating thing was knowing we could have won it if we had even one or two of the missing players.

Minutes after the match started, I could already tell it wasn't going to be an easy night. We weren't holding on to any possession or stringing any passes together, whereas Sevilla started well and made some good attacking plays.

We started to improve slightly after 15-20 minutes as Sulejmani started to come into the match, but then he got injured and it went downhill from there. I was getting so so frustrated and annoyed at how we were playing by the time we got to half time. We badly missed Enzo Perez in the middle and someone who could run with the ball on the right.

We managed to create some chances, but once again we got typically anxious in front of goal. It happened against Chelsea last season, it happened against Olhanense in this season's title winning match and it happened again in this match. At every critical match, the team becomes very nervous... too nervous. We really should have taken one of those chances.

However, that said, Sevilla also had their fair share of big chances, and it was once again a great performance by Oblak. I can't fault him for anything, he did his best.

Andre Gomes was, at times, the only player who was able to receive the ball, turn with it and run at Sevilla. He had a good game IMO. Not as good as Enzo obviously, but I thought he had a better game than Ruben Amorim at least. His passing wasn't amazing, but then again, nobody was passing well.. everyone was trying to play one touch football and messing it up, whereas Andre at least was able to hold and run with it.

The problem was that for some reason, Andre Gomes played 90 minutes against Porto last weekend, so it was impossible for him to last another 120 minutes on Wednesday... no idea why JJ did that to him. He then just started to shoot in extra time because it looked like he was worried that he wouldn't be able to run back if he made a bad pass.

I also thought that Ivan Cavaleiro should have at least come on at the start of Extra Time to add some pace to our attack. The fact that JJ left it until 2 minutes from the end was just ridiculous.

We had a bunch of penalty appeals turned down as well, which was annoying, but I can't blame it all on the ref for losing because we weren't good enough overall.

As for the penalties.... yeh, Beto... just as expected :rolleyes:

To be honest though, I was watching with family, and as soon as it went to penalties, I told them that if Cardozo takes a penalty, he would miss. Cardozo almost consistently misses important penalties. Doesn't matter who its against, he'll score when Benfica are already one or two goals ahead, but as soon as its a penalty when Benfica are losing or drawing, he'll fluff it. The more important the penalty, the more likely he is to miss them.

As for Rodrigo, well, remember back to when Porto lost at the Luz 3-1 in the second leg of the Portuguese Cup. We got a penalty at 1-1 and Rodrigo was gonna take it, but JJ made Enzo take it instead. Yeh.... that showed that Rodrigo isn't good at penalties.. and it really was a poor penalty.

I don't really care about Beto having come out tbh.. a well taken penalty would have still gone in.

Overall, very annoyed that for the biggest match of the season, we were missing so many important players, so much so that it badly handicapped us. That's the most frustrating part... knowing that our first choice eleven would have won it.

Even the last remaining backup winger got injured during the match (and I don't count Cavaleiro because he wouldnt have done a good enough job defensively). It was just unbelievably bad luck all round...

Which brings me to the curse... maybe we really are cursed. Honestly, I'm starting to believe it. After how this final played out, with the crazy amount of bad luck, I'm really starting to believe it, especially after losing on penalties. Plus this squad is almost undoubtedly going to get broken up, meaning we won't be challenging in Europe for a long time again and the curse will continue for a good while yet.

Just looking around at the players that will probably leave, Garay, Enzo, Gaitan, Rodrigo, Andre Gomes. Maybe Oblak, Markovic, Cardozo and Lima too. Then there's the two loans, Silvio and Siqueira, who will both be expensive to purchase, especially Siqueira who has bigger teams interested and pretty much has no reason left to continue at Benfica (having already - almost - won everything in Portugal).

And with Luisao nearing the end of his career, Benfica will really need a revamp in the coming seasons.

I think we really had to win the European trophy on Wednesday night. We even did the hard part of eliminating Tottenham and Juventus from the competition, and we were left as the favourites going into the final (not like last season where Chelsea were the favourites). It really was a superb opportunity to win it and we blew it.

I expect a win tomorrow to complete the domestic treble. With Enzo, Markovic and Salvio back in the team, we should be able to play at a much higher level than what we showed on Wednesday.

Even if we do get the treble now, it still leaves a bit of a bitter feeling for me knowing that we had a Quadruple, with the elusive European trophy, within our grasp. Especially in the exact same season that we saw two club legends pass away..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    (this post came out longer than expected! grab some drinks, lol)

So disappointed with that result. I really thought this was gonna be our year. The most frustrating thing was knowing we could have won it if we had even one or two of the missing players.

Minutes after the match started, I could already tell it wasn't going to be an easy night. We weren't holding on to any possession or stringing any passes together, whereas Sevilla started well and made some good attacking plays.

We started to improve slightly after 15-20 minutes as Sulejmani started to come into the match, but then he got injured and it went downhill from there. I was getting so so frustrated and annoyed at how we were playing by the time we got to half time. We badly missed Enzo Perez in the middle and someone who could run with the ball on the right.

We managed to create some chances, but once again we got typically anxious in front of goal. It happened against Chelsea last season, it happened against Olhanense in this season's title winning match and it happened again in this match. At every critical match, the team becomes very nervous... too nervous. We really should have taken one of those chances.

However, that said, Sevilla also had their fair share of big chances, and it was once again a great performance by Oblak. I can't fault him for anything, he did his best.

Andre Gomes was, at times, the only player who was able to receive the ball, turn with it and run at Sevilla. He had a good game IMO. Not as good as Enzo obviously, but I thought he had a better game than Ruben Amorim at least. His passing wasn't amazing, but then again, nobody was passing well.. everyone was trying to play one touch football and messing it up, whereas Andre at least was able to hold and run with it.

The problem was that for some reason, Andre Gomes played 90 minutes against Porto last weekend, so it was impossible for him to last another 120 minutes on Wednesday... no idea why JJ did that to him. He then just started to shoot in extra time because it looked like he was worried that he wouldn't be able to run back if he made a bad pass.

I also thought that Ivan Cavaleiro should have at least come on at the start of Extra Time to add some pace to our attack. The fact that JJ left it until 2 minutes from the end was just ridiculous.

We had a bunch of penalty appeals turned down as well, which was annoying, but I can't blame it all on the ref for losing because we weren't good enough overall.

As for the penalties.... yeh, Beto... just as expected :rolleyes:

To be honest though, I was watching with family, and as soon as it went to penalties, I told them that if Cardozo takes a penalty, he would miss. Cardozo almost consistently misses important penalties. Doesn't matter who its against, he'll score when Benfica are already one or two goals ahead, but as soon as its a penalty when Benfica are losing or drawing, he'll fluff it. The more important the penalty, the more likely he is to miss them.

As for Rodrigo, well, remember back to when Porto lost at the Luz 3-1 in the second leg of the Portuguese Cup. We got a penalty at 1-1 and Rodrigo was gonna take it, but JJ made Enzo take it instead. Yeh.... that showed that Rodrigo isn't good at penalties.. and it really was a poor penalty.

I don't really care about Beto having come out tbh.. a well taken penalty would have still gone in.

Overall, very annoyed that for the biggest match of the season, we were missing so many important players, so much so that it badly handicapped us. That's the most frustrating part... knowing that our first choice eleven would have won it.

Even the last remaining backup winger got injured during the match (and I don't count Cavaleiro because he wouldnt have done a good enough job defensively). It was just unbelievably bad luck all round...

Which brings me to the curse... maybe we really are cursed. Honestly, I'm starting to believe it. After how this final played out, with the crazy amount of bad luck, I'm really starting to believe it, especially after losing on penalties. Plus this squad is almost undoubtedly going to get broken up, meaning we won't be challenging in Europe for a long time again and the curse will continue for a good while yet.

Just looking around at the players that will probably leave, Garay, Enzo, Gaitan, Rodrigo, Andre Gomes. Maybe Oblak, Markovic, Cardozo and Lima too. Then there's the two loans, Silvio and Siqueira, who will both be expensive to purchase, especially Siqueira who has bigger teams interested and pretty much has no reason left to continue at Benfica (having already - almost - won everything in Portugal).

And with Luisao nearing the end of his career, Benfica will really need a revamp in the coming seasons.

I think we really had to win the European trophy on Wednesday night. We even did the hard part of eliminating Tottenham and Juventus from the competition, and we were left as the favourites going into the final (not like last season where Chelsea were the favourites). It really was a superb opportunity to win it and we blew it.

I expect a win tomorrow to complete the domestic treble. With Enzo, Markovic and Salvio back in the team, we should be able to play at a much higher level than what we showed on Wednesday.

Even if we do get the treble now, it still leaves a bit of a bitter feeling for me knowing that we had a Quadruple, with the elusive European trophy, within our grasp. Especially in the exact same season that we saw two club legends pass away..
    Definitely, it’s what could have been had Enzo and co not been suspended for it as the loss of them was felt.

I know it’s disappointing as you had the four trophies to go for, and aside from the Liga the next thing you would have wanted was the EL but I think doing the domestic treble is still something to be very happy about. I say you’ve had a great season and even beating the likes of Spurs and Juve along the way in the EL is something to be happy about too. I know you had the chances on the day of the final which you look back at but penalties are always a horrible way to decide a game.

I can’t see all them leaving this summer, maybe Garay and Enzo which will be huge blows but you kinda have to expect the best ones to leave and will just have to find someone new to fill the gaps. You might be surprised. Look at us, we kept James and Moutinho for a longer than we all thought we would after all the speculation suggested they were gone. I think you’ll be surprised that they won’t all leave.

Final 23 man squad revealed. I guess the only big news is no Quaresma but yet Nani, Varela and Vieirinha are all included. Nice to see Rafa and Éder get given a chance too but I have to say I’m gutted Quaresma didn’t make it. Shame for him really as surely you would have thought he should have got the nod over at least Vieirinha? Dreading having to watch Nani if I'm honest. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, it’s what could have been had Enzo and co not been suspended for it as the loss of them was felt.

I know it’s disappointing as you had the four trophies to go for, and aside from the Liga the next thing you would have wanted was the EL but I think doing the domestic treble is still something to be very happy about. I say you’ve had a great season and even beating the likes of Spurs and Juve along the way in the EL is something to be happy about too. I know you had the chances on the day of the final which you look back at but penalties are always a horrible way to decide a game.

I can’t see all them leaving this summer, maybe Garay and Enzo which will be huge blows but you kinda have to expect the best ones to leave and will just have to find someone new to fill the gaps. You might be surprised. Look at us, we kept James and Moutinho for a longer than we all thought we would after all the speculation suggested they were gone. I think you’ll be surprised that they won’t all leave.

Final 23 man squad revealed. I guess the only big news is no Quaresma but yet Nani, Varela and Vieirinha are all included. Nice to see Rafa and Éder get given a chance too but I have to say I’m gutted Quaresma didn’t make it. Shame for him really as surely you would have thought he should have got the nod over at least Vieirinha? Dreading having to watch Nani if I'm honest. :rolleyes:
    Well, to be fair, the departure of Moutinho and James had a fairly big impact, and if it wasn't for Benfica's collapse last season, it would have been two league titles for Benfica in a row since they left. So I'm hoping we don't go that route.

However, it looks like Garay is already on his way out, with AVB trying to do Porto a favour by stealing our best players >_<
    I was already ready to lose Garay, but not to Zenit.. he deserves a bigger team and league than that, but I suppose money talks.

Anyway, moving on. The final 23. Yeh, surprised that Quaresma is out. He would have given us something extra when/if we needed to unlock a tough defence. Nani and Vieirinha have been injured for a long time for their teams and they still made it, as did Varela, who isn't even the best winger at Porto. Not sure I'd pick any of these 3 as a starter based on what they've done this season.

I can only imagine that Bento had some problems with Quaresma's somewhat fiery personality and decided that he might not be good for the dressing room environment? I dunno, still would have taken him regardless.

There were some big names that missed out overall too, like Danny, Tiago and Adrien. Those three would have added a lot of quality to the team, but apart from Adrien, I can understand why they were left out.

Also nice to see Andre Almeida get the nod, although I reckon it would have been Silvio's spot if he hadn't gotten injured. Andre Almeida is the only backup to Coentrao as well, so here's hoping he doesn't get injured or suspended!

Btw, just about to watch the U21 match against Macedonia.. and is this the best generation of youngsters in a long time or what?

Jose Sa, Esgaio, Paulo Oliveira (just signed for Sporting), Tiago Illori, Raphael Guerreiro, Luis Gustavo, Joao Mario, Bernardo Silva, Andre Gomes, Ricardo, Ivan Cavaleiro.

Add in players like Mane and Bruma, plus other youngsters like William Carvalho, Cedric, Cancelo, Andre Almeida, Ruben Vezo and you've got a really established younger generation of players.

Very nice to see the B team idea starting to show its effect..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.