The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Now now I can see this is directed at us...

I'll play the game how I like for a start and i'm just not interested in the concept of titles. If people want to have them then let them but it really doesn't make a difference to my gameplay experience.

TSR government, its a symbolic thing again for me. Although getting rid of it is perhaps a bit far.

The 'it doesn't matter about government' is a valid point somewhat, if people want their names in the wiki section etched in history then go for it but again it doesn't interest my gameplay. Also this is what your own party adopted a term or two ago.
Christ, I'm not directing jack-all at you, can you stop feeling personally aggrieved? This is a general response to cross-party responses I hear to the MHoC.

Fair enough, I don't think anyone here really cares that much about the titles either as i've made explicitly clear, but there is an element of importance in having them because we are a Model House of Commons, not Party Debate society.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The richest MP; Rchard Benyon is no longer in Government...
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Surprised to see Chloe Smith leaving the government so soon, she was a decent minister. That said, her seat is super marginal so she'll be preparing for a fight in 2015.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
Surprised to see Chloe Smith leaving the government so soon, she was a decent minister. That said, her seat is super marginal so she'll be preparing for a fight in 2015.
I thought she wasn't good to be honest. Pity to see George Eustice in Government, I liked him as a backbencher, especially his views on Europe.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My MP is now Secretary of State for Scotland! Didn't see that one coming. I wonder to what extent the role will become moulded into 'Chief Unionist' in coming months... ?
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
My MP is now Secretary of State for Scotland! Didn't see that one coming. I wonder to what extent the role will become moulded into 'Chief Unionist' in coming months... ?
I expect that'll be his main briefing for the next 11 months. Although the Tories wouldn't actually be that disappointed I dare say if the Scots went indie, considering it at least helps their election prospects elsewhere.
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
I expect that'll be his main briefing for the next 11 months. Although the Tories wouldn't actually be that disappointed I dare say if the Scots went indie, considering it at least helps their election prospects elsewhere.
You'd think that, but they seem to be fighting tooth and claw to keep hold of us. I suppose 'England, Wales, and a bit of Ireland' really doesn't seem particularly 'united', and threatens the position as a great power. Also, it could threaten the UK's nuclear capabilities, as I don't believe there are either any other suitable locations for Trident (or localities willing to accept the missiles!).

I wonder what would happen to TSR if Scotland became independent? Would we Scots be ejected?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd think that, but they seem to be fighting tooth and claw to keep hold of us. I suppose 'England, Wales, and a bit of Ireland' really doesn't seem particularly 'united', and threatens the position as a great power. Also, it could threaten the UK's nuclear capabilities, as I don't believe there are either any other suitable locations for Trident (or localities willing to accept the missiles!).

I wonder what would happen to TSR if Scotland became independent? Would we Scots be ejected?
Yeah, ideologically they do believe in the Union, and the nukes are a big concern, but at least for them there is a pretty decent compensation if it does happen! Of course you'll be able to stay, just like there's nothing stopping a Scottish MP in England in real life

What would be interesting is what happens to the Scottish election seats. If they're discounted in 2015 then Scottish people are without Westminster representatives for a year, but if they're counted we still have MPs from north of the border after independence - both seem pretty unacceptable. It could I guess force a 2016 UK election, it'd be very interesting to see.
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, ideologically they do believe in the Union, and the nukes are a big concern, but at least for them there is a pretty decent compensation if it does happen! Of course you'll be able to stay, just like there's nothing stopping a Scottish MP in England in real life

What would be interesting is what happens to the Scottish election seats. If they're discounted in 2015 then Scottish people are without Westminster representatives for a year, but if they're counted we still have MPs from north of the border after independence - both seem pretty unacceptable. It could I guess force a 2016 UK election, it'd be very interesting to see.
I'd hope so! The way I like to look at it is that independence would cut the political union between the nations, but the cultural and economic unions could continue to prosper as strong as ever.

Yeah, that is a fascinating possibility. Perhaps it'll be outlined in the SNP's upcoming 'White Paper'?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd hope so! The way I like to look at it is that independence would cut the political union between the nations, but the cultural and economic unions could continue to prosper as strong as ever.

Yeah, that is a fascinating possibility. Perhaps it'll be outlined in the SNP's upcoming 'White Paper'?
I doubt it, as it isn't really their job to decide - it'd be an issue for the Westminster lot to kill each other over but they won't even consider it unless there actually is a confirmed Yes vote.
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt it, as it isn't really their job to decide - it'd be an issue for the Westminster lot to kill each other over but they won't even consider it unless there actually is a confirmed Yes vote.
That's true. Would be entertaining to watch, certainly.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish we had a vote in England on the question of Scottish independence.
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just popping in to say hi I'm new! Looking forward to getting stuck into some MHoC fun
miser
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DivinityA)
Just popping in to say hi I'm new! Looking forward to getting stuck into some MHoC fun
Welcome.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it is fun you are after, why join the Labour Party?
Kittiara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya and welcome! Hope you'll have a good time here .
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Diane Abbott sacked. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24443444
About flippin' time too.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
About flippin' time too.
Personally I hope Johnson gets back in the shadow cabinet. Not somebody i'd vote for but I like him as Labour people go. Hodge should get a Shadow Treasury promotion too.
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
About flippin' time too.
Here here!
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it is fun you are after, why join the Labour Party?
The banter begins.

Also thank you all o/
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads