Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know if nottingham are having any offer holders open day for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bettytweets)
    Hi, does anyone know if nottingham are having any offer holders open day for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    unless they changed it since last year, there is none im afraid . I think the tour you got on your interview must be enough to make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    Have any international students received offers yet?

Also does anyone know if the rejections will be given out on the same day as the rest of the offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgilly)
    Have any international students received offers yet?Also does anyone know if the rejections will be given out on the same day as the rest of the offers?
    Rejections are given out in same pattern as pre interview ones, so as late as possible, usually with last portion of offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hukdealz)
    BMedSci is a really compelling factor which attracts me to Nottingham, not sure about how important a second degree is to you.
    (Original post by Nottie)
    hmm true. But I heard from an F1 doctor that our BMedSci is viewed as worse than if you did it as a completely separete degree.
    But its always good to have extra degree in case you decide you dont really wanna do medicine. You just do those 2,5-3 years and you can drop out and go into research .
    At the end of the day, if you're a competent, confident doctor who gets on well with patients, I don't think much else matters.

Imagine having a medical degree and an, idk, neuroscience degree but being a doctor that can't converse patients; you'd really struggle to get anywhere haha

If anyone's got any questions about studying at Nottingham, any questions about the city, societies etc feel free to ask as I guess there'll be a few of you trying to make a decision between which uni to firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownone)
    At the end of the day, if you're a competent, confident doctor who gets on well with patients, I don't think much else matters.

Imagine having a medical degree and an, idk, neuroscience degree but being a doctor that can't converse patients; you'd really struggle to get anywhere haha

If anyone's got any questions about studying at Nottingham, any questions about the city, societies etc feel free to ask as I guess there'll be a few of you trying to make a decision between which uni to firm
    am I correct in thinking that you're a student at Nottingham?

I'll throw this question out there anyway. Although I'm still waiting to hear back from Nottingham, and I'm not really expecting an offer from them, I'd like to decide which uni I'm going to firm to save me being undecided when I should be revising hard for exams. Anyway, I've got offer already from SGUL and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't particularly mind which uni I go to. I just want to go to the uni that will set me up best for the rest of my life. Ultimately, I'm looking to go into surgery (yes, I know it's early, but it's where my heart has always been set towards). To be honest, I probably won't intercalate if I go to SGUL. My question is, if you were in my position, which uni would you go for? Does the fact that Nottingham is Russell Group and comes higher in league tables have any influence when it comes to applying for F1 positions and also, the route into surgery thereafter? Which uni am I most likely to get into surgery from?

ReputationRep:
    am I correct in thinking that you're a student at Nottingham?

I'll throw this question out there anyway. Although I'm still waiting to hear back from Nottingham, and I'm not really expecting an offer from them, I'd like to decide which uni I'm going to firm to save me being undecided when I should be revising hard for exams. Anyway, I've got offer already from SGUL and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't particularly mind which uni I go to. I just want to go to the uni that will set me up best for the rest of my life. Ultimately, I'm looking to go into surgery (yes, I know it's early, but it's where my heart has always been set towards). To be honest, I probably won't intercalate if I go to SGUL. My question is, if you were in my position, which uni would you go for? Does the fact that Nottingham is Russell Group and comes higher in league tables have any influence when it comes to applying for F1 positions and also, the route into surgery thereafter? Which uni am I most likely to get into surgery from?
    Now from what I know, a medical degree is a medical degree and where you graduate from doesn't matter. The only time it may matter is if you're working in the private sector (think of it this way, if you're being charged £100 to be consulted by a private clinician, would it look better to you if they graduated from Nottingham or if you graduated from Oxford?)
    But despite that, the reputation you make for yourself will also affect people's decisions; I know a psychiatrist who graduated from Manchester who charges £140 per hour of consulting time so...

So basically what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter which medical school you got to, what matters is the amount of work you're willing to put in and how well compatible you are to the uni's teaching style; At the end of your fifth year you'll come out with a score out of 100. 50% of that score comes from the 5th year situational judgement test, I have no idea what the other 50% comes from :P I do know that the BMedSci you do at Nottingham will give you 3 points out of that 100 (3 if you get a first, 2 if you get a 2:1, 1 if you get a 2:2). The higher your score is, the more likely you are to get the job of your choice for F1.

So, SGUL or Nottingham?
    Honestly I know nothing about SGUL (primarily because I didn't apply there nor know anybody that did). But I do know that if you're interested in surgery, you'll really appreciate Nottingham's full body dissection sessions. When semester 2 comes around, you'll be in the dissection room for 3 hours a week and get the great opportunity to go on a solo mission with your group of 5, cutting away, looking for structure you've been studying about and trying your best not to wreck anything :P It's honestly such a great experience.

Have you got any more specific questions about the course itself? It's easier to give you information that's relevant to you if you ask away haha

Also, I'm currently a first year at Notts

ReputationRep:
    Now from what I know, a medical degree is a medical degree and where you graduate from doesn't matter. The only time it may matter is if you're working in the private sector (think of it this way, if you're being charged £100 to be consulted by a private clinician, would it look better to you if they graduated from Nottingham or if you graduated from Oxford?)
    But despite that, the reputation you make for yourself will also affect people's decisions; I know a psychiatrist who graduated from Manchester who charges £140 per hour of consulting time so...

So basically what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter which medical school you got to, what matters is the amount of work you're willing to put in and how well compatible you are to the uni's teaching style; At the end of your fifth year you'll come out with a score out of 100. 50% of that score comes from the 5th year situational judgement test, I have no idea what the other 50% comes from :P I do know that the BMedSci you do at Nottingham will give you 3 points out of that 100 (3 if you get a first, 2 if you get a 2:1, 1 if you get a 2:2). The higher your score is, the more likely you are to get the job of your choice for F1.

So, SGUL or Nottingham?
    Honestly I know nothing about SGUL (primarily because I didn't apply there nor know anybody that did). But I do know that if you're interested in surgery, you'll really appreciate Nottingham's full body dissection sessions. When semester 2 comes around, you'll be in the dissection room for 3 hours a week and get the great opportunity to go on a solo mission with your group of 5, cutting away, looking for structure you've been studying about and trying your best not to wreck anything :P It's honestly such a great experience.

Have you got any more specific questions about the course itself? It's easier to give you information that's relevant to you if you ask away haha

Also, I'm currently a first year at Notts
    thanks for all the information, that was massively useful!

I completely forgot about how nottingham uses full body dissection which SGUL offer, but only as part of a summer school program which costs £200ish.

One thing that sticks out about Nottingham is the lack of PBL. From what I understand, the course is heavily lecture based. I know that this will vary from person to person, what do you think of the lecture based teaching style and how was the transition from A level to medical school?

ReputationRep:

I completely forgot about how nottingham uses full body dissection which SGUL offer, but only as part of a summer school program which costs £200ish.

One thing that sticks out about Nottingham is the lack of PBL. From what I understand, the course is heavily lecture based. I know that this will vary from person to person, what do you think of the lecture based teaching style and how was the transition from A level to medical school?
    You're correct that Nottingham doesn't offer much PBL at all and that it's mainly lecture based.

We had one bit of PBL last semester. I really didn't think it was that great, I don't feel like I learnt much at all. Saying that, it was part of the Behaviour Sciences module which is more of a social science module than a medical one so I assume the PBL scenario will have been different to what most medical schools have. The scenario was basically about a patient with depression, insomnia and alcohol dependency. We had to present our findings about the conditions and then present our course of action/treatment plan. I somewhat enjoyed it but I'd say that was probably more because my seminar group are complete babes and we have fun together, as opposed to the teaching method being great.

The main difference between lectures and sixth form/college teaching, I feel, is the lack of interaction between the lecturer and the students. You've basically got someone talking at you for an hour and I miss not being able to fire straight questions at them, like I could at sixth form. Nobody really wants to ask a question during a lecture with 250 other students around them; although occasionally if there's the general consensus that nobody knows what the lecturer is talking about, I'm often elected to shout to the lecturer to make them aware hahah.

I do find that my attention span is fairly short so my mind often wonders off somewhere mid lecture; recently this semester, I have been opting to skip lectures if I feel like I'm not going to concentrate but I'll go back to mine, load the lecture slides up and learn the stuff. But I honestly think I'd prefer to be in lectures being taught specifically and exactly what I need to know than have to tackle a PBL scenario and having a wishy-washy idea about what I need to learn. I have no doubt though that if you did go to a PBL-based course, you'd learn how to learn with that method

I'm not sure if that's helped or made the situation worse for you! haha

In addition to lectures, there are other teaching sessions. In the first semester, there's a large amount of sessions with microscopes which complements the lectures very well (and I feel that the microscope sessions are what helped me do well in the HDT module).
    This semester, ofcourse we have the dissection practicals, we've also had practicals on things like ECG and respiratory measurements

ReputationRep:
    You're correct that Nottingham doesn't offer much PBL at all and that it's mainly lecture based.

We had one bit of PBL last semester. I really didn't think it was that great, I don't feel like I learnt much at all. Saying that, it was part of the Behaviour Sciences module which is more of a social science module than a medical one so I assume the PBL scenario will have been different to what most medical schools have. The scenario was basically about a patient with depression, insomnia and alcohol dependency. We had to present our findings about the conditions and then present our course of action/treatment plan. I somewhat enjoyed it but I'd say that was probably more because my seminar group are complete babes and we have fun together, as opposed to the teaching method being great.

The main difference between lectures and sixth form/college teaching, I feel, is the lack of interaction between the lecturer and the students. You've basically got someone talking at you for an hour and I miss not being able to fire straight questions at them, like I could at sixth form. Nobody really wants to ask a question during a lecture with 250 other students around them; although occasionally if there's the general consensus that nobody knows what the lecturer is talking about, I'm often elected to shout to the lecturer to make them aware hahah.

I do find that my attention span is fairly short so my mind often wonders off somewhere mid lecture; recently this semester, I have been opting to skip lectures if I feel like I'm not going to concentrate but I'll go back to mine, load the lecture slides up and learn the stuff. But I honestly think I'd prefer to be in lectures being taught specifically and exactly what I need to know than have to tackle a PBL scenario and having a wishy-washy idea about what I need to learn. I have no doubt though that if you did go to a PBL-based course, you'd learn how to learn with that method

I'm not sure if that's helped or made the situation worse for you! haha

In addition to lectures, there are other teaching sessions. In the first semester, there's a large amount of sessions with microscopes which complements the lectures very well (and I feel that the microscope sessions are what helped me do well in the HDT module).
    This semester, ofcourse we have the dissection practicals, we've also had practicals on things like ECG and respiratory measurements
    I think I'm the type of person who would probably prefer more guided/structured learning in the form of lectures, from what you've just told me. Of course the major advantage of PBL is that it is more applied, but the number of placement hours at Nottingham means this isn't so much of an issue.

Thanks again for all the help in deciding, it's been really helpful and I now feel a lot closer to my final decision :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:

if you are this type of person that is fine with learning off slides (and not really doing extra research) then you should be fine with traditional style in Nottingham. However, if you memorize better if you research things yourself instead of having it all nicely given to you, you may want to go for PBL. But I wouldn't really worry about it all, I am pretty sure you can adapt to any type of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm the type of person who would probably prefer more guided/structured learning in the form of lectures, from what you've just told me. Of course the major advantage of PBL is that it is more applied, but the number of placement hours at Nottingham means this isn't so much of an issue.

Thanks again for all the help in deciding, it's been really helpful and I now feel a lot closer to my final decision :thumbsup:
    No problem mate

ReputationRep:
    Should we expect to hear tomorrow?
    Also will rejections be this week as well as the offers?

ReputationRep:
    From the previous entry's some ppl have said they phone and they will get a reply on Wednesday and others by Friday, personally I think that it will be Friday at the latest. The waiting is the worst probz get rejected good luck though

ReputationRep:
    So we have to phone in on Wednesday? Sorry getting a but confused :'))
    So nervous waiting would live to firm notts!

ReputationRep:
    Basically different people have said different things you will just have to say but I expect we will hear by Friday the latest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fingbing)
    So we have to phone in on Wednesday? Sorry getting a but confused :'))
    So nervous waiting would live to firm notts!
    majority of offers should be given out on wednesday, but there's a possibility they might come out as late as friday.

either way, not long now!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the maximum bursary available from Nottingham for med students within lowest home finance band

I heard it was different for med students than it is for normal students at nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Results will be out from tomorrow until Friday...

In in the next three days we all will know who is a Nottie ...who is not a Nottie

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going crazy all of tomorrow in what will probably be hopeless anticipation

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.