Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    Turkey is the most progressive country in the region, yes it has had setbacks, yes it has an Islamist ******* as a president, but all of these are examples of policies to the opposite of the group I am talking about, the problems are mainly being caused by Islam rearing its ugly head in public again.

What has the Arab Spring achieved really? Sod all but misery and same old same old governments.

Industry has no contributions to renewable energy sources? No state funding for it? Oh yes...

I am very serious with my last paragraph, it may be inconvinient to you because it supports my point that you can change a system using a system, just for the record Parliament was never introduced to help the people, it was introduced to pass legislation by the elites against the whims of the King.
    Oh come on, don't embarrass yourself by claiming that Islam is the problem. I'm not even going to respond to that.

The Arab Spring hasn't 'achieved' a lot in terms of actual progress but the fact of the matter is that it was a remarkable show of defiance in an incredibly oppressive area. I'm not going to herald the Arab Spring as the greatest thing that has ever happened but it was still a very impressive show of solidarity by the people which was unfortunately oppressed... by the elites.

Industry has no real contributions to renewable energy sources. It doesn't make a lot of financial sense for them and by definition, most sources of renewable energy are decentralised. People are much more likely to support it if the profits from energy installations on their land go into their community, rather than being shipped off into the pockets of a CEO. As I've said, I'm not making up theoretical arguments here. It's a cast iron fact that the take-up of renewable technologies has been led by communities, not energy corporations.

And Lloyd George did not "change" any system. The system was democracy. He introduced social welfare which is wonderful, but he harnessed a good system that was unfortunately corrupted. You're trying to harness a bad system which is terribly corrupted. And the King had nothing to do with it... it was the House of Lords that opposed it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Oh come on, don't embarrass yourself by claiming that Islam is the problem. I'm not even going to respond to that.

The Arab Spring hasn't 'achieved' a lot in terms of actual progress but the fact of the matter is that it was a remarkable show of defiance in an incredibly oppressive area. I'm not going to herald the Arab Spring as the greatest thing that has ever happened but it was still a very impressive show of solidarity by the people which was unfortunately oppressed... by the elites.

Industry has no real contributions to renewable energy sources. It doesn't make a lot of financial sense for them and by definition, most sources of renewable energy are decentralised. People are much more likely to support it if the profits from energy installations on their land go into their community, rather than being shipped off into the pockets of a CEO. As I've said, I'm not making up theoretical arguments here. It's a cast iron fact that the take-up of renewable technologies has been led by communities, not energy corporations.

And Lloyd George did not "change" any system. The system was democracy. He introduced social welfare which is wonderful, but he harnessed a good system that was unfortunately corrupted. You're trying to harness a bad system which is terribly corrupted. And the King had nothing to do with it... it was the House of Lords that opposed it...
    Why because it's true? Google Ataturk, if you don't know who that is be quiet about things you clearly know nothing about.

Once again the people's revolution has failed! Maybe if it had been led by a group of elites it would have got somewhere. Like say, the Bolshevik revolution or the Paris commune.

Cast iron fact? Google EU investment into renewable energy sources.

Your lack of understanding of English history is showing now, the Parliament became a serious force in English politics after the civil war, the Commons existed to balance the power of the King after the Interregnum not to serve the interests of the people, it has been like that for a very long time, which is why it took until the 20th century for measures to be passed in the interests of the people.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why because it's true? Google Ataturk, if you don't know who that is be quiet about things you clearly know nothing about.

Once again the people's revolution has failed! Maybe if it had been led by a group of elites it would have got somewhere. Like say, the Bolshevik revolution or the Paris commune.

Cast iron fact? Google EU investment into renewable energy sources.

Your lack of understanding of English history is showing now, the Parliament became a serious force in English politics after the civil war, the Commons existed to balance the power of the King after the Interregnum not to serve the interests of the people, it has been like that for a very long time, which is why it took until the 20th century for measures to be passed in the interests of the people.
    Islam is an easy target that people use as an excuse to blame all of their problems on. Islam doesn't cause any problems. The problems are caused by morons who use their religion as an excuse to abuse people. Using Islam as an excuse for horrific actions is like trying to excuse war crimes by saying "But he's American".

The Bolshevik revolution 'went somewhere'? Because Russia has always been the model of the human rights movement, hasn't it?

Most renewable infrastructure in countries with significant renewables expansion and public support for renewables has been by led by communities! That is a fact! It's irrelevant if funding for that has come from the government or the EU (which it has), those have been investments in social projects, not corporate expansionism!

Could you please give me any kind of source that indicates the King's opposition to DLG's social reforms was in any way significant?

ReputationRep:
    Islam is an easy target that people use as an excuse to blame all of their problems on. Islam doesn't cause any problems. The problems are caused by morons who use their religion as an excuse to abuse people. Using Islam as an excuse for horrific actions is like trying to excuse war crimes by saying "But he's American".

The Bolshevik revolution 'went somewhere'? Because Russia has always been the model of the human rights movement, hasn't it?

Most renewable infrastructure in countries with significant renewables expansion and public support for renewables has been by led by communities! That is a fact! It's irrelevant if funding for that has come from the government or the EU (which it has), those have been investments in social projects, not corporate expansionism!

Could you please give me any kind of source that indicates the King's opposition to DLG's social reforms was in any way significant?

What he said.

ReputationRep:

Islam is an easy target and is attacked constantly by bigots, agreed. However there are serious political problems that were recognised by people such as Ataturk, the founder of Turkey. It's simply ignorant to dismiss that Islam and politics is a dangerous relation, as is Christianity and politics, which i'm sure you would agree with so i'm not sure what the problem is.

The Bolshevik revolution went somewhere though didn't it. The people's revolutions never do.

Conspiracy theories.

I am talking about Charles II...

ReputationRep:
    Maths degrees shouldn't require GCSE English, just like the commonly accepted "engineering degrees shouldn't require GCSE latin".
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Islam is an easy target and is attacked constantly by bigots, agreed. However there are serious political problems that were recognised by people such as Ataturk, the founder of Turkey. It's simply ignorant to dismiss that Islam and politics is a dangerous relation, as is Christianity and politics, which i'm sure you would agree with so i'm not sure what the problem is.

The Bolshevik revolution went somewhere though didn't it. The people's revolutions never do.

Conspiracy theories.

I am talking about Charles II...
    Politics and any religion is a dangerous relation, that's the whole point of secularisation. That doesn't mean that religion, or Islam in particular, are evil.

Oh great, so now the definition of a 'successful' revolution is any revolution that "goes somewhere"? We must clearly be very thankful for the elites of the NSDAP for leading their highly successful revolution against democracy... At any rates, the Occupy movement and environmental movements certainly are going somewhere. Not as quickly as they could be, but that's because of the opposition of the elites to their aims. The elites, by definition, want things to remain the way they are. Why would you want to change a system that works in your favour? It literally makes no sense. The only kind of change you're going to see from the socioeconomic elite is reform that supports them. The change we need will result in the destruction of the present economic establishment. Capitalism and sustainability are mutually exclusive.

And no, it's not a conspiracy theory. It's a fact, which you'd know if you actually made the point of education yourself first. Do you want some evidence? Here you go. Over half of Germany's renewable infrastructure is owned by individual citizens. Only 13% comes from utilities and only 9% comes from industry. Given that Germany is possibly the most progressive country in the world in terms of renewable infrastructure, I honestly cannot understand how you can believe in the arguments you're making. Calling someone's argument a "conspiracy theory" with no other comment suggests that you've given up trying to argue with evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Politics and any religion is a dangerous relation, that's the whole point of secularisation. That doesn't mean that religion, or Islam in particular, are evil.

Oh great, so now the definition of a 'successful' revolution is any revolution that "goes somewhere"? We must clearly be very thankful for the elites of the NSDAP for leading their highly successful revolution against democracy... At any rates, the Occupy movement and environmental movements certainly are going somewhere. Not as quickly as they could be, but that's because of the opposition of the elites to their aims. The elites, by definition, want things to remain the way they are. Why would you want to change a system that works in your favour? It literally makes no sense. The only kind of change you're going to see from the socioeconomic elite is reform that supports them. The change we need will result in the destruction of the present economic establishment. Capitalism and sustainability are mutually exclusive.

And no, it's not a conspiracy theory. It's a fact, which you'd know if you actually made the point of education yourself first. Do you want some evidence? Here you go. Over half of Germany's renewable infrastructure is owned by individual citizens. Only 13% comes from utilities and only 9% comes from industry. Given that Germany is possibly the most progressive country in the world in terms of renewable infrastructure, I honestly cannot understand how you can believe in the arguments you're making. Calling someone's argument a "conspiracy theory" with no other comment suggests that you've given up trying to argue with evidence.
    I stopped trying when you started arguing about Turkish history without even knowing the name of its founder. Your anti-capitalist sentiment is not grounded in positive experience, its metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. You can re-read what i've already said i'm not going to repeat myself again.

ReputationRep:
    People contemplating sex changes should be treated the same way by medical staff as schizophrenics are treated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I stopped trying when you started arguing about Turkish history without even knowing the name of its founder. Your anti-capitalist sentiment is not grounded in positive experience, its metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. You can re-read what i've already said i'm not going to repeat myself again.
    Should I translate this as "I can't actually respond to your points so I'm going to use some powerful language to try to escape this argument"? You're the one claiming that it's a conspiracy theory that community ownership is driving the environmental revolution yet over 50% of Germany's renewable infrastructure is owned by people, completely proving you wrong.

Turkey's history really isn't of massive relevance to this debate. Not only did you not actually ask me what Turkey's 'founder' is called so I'm not particularly sure how you got to that conclusion (and at any rate, I could simply have googled so making that assertion is pointless anyway) but knowing the name of a person doesn't make you an authoritative leader of a subject. Turkey is not a model example of sustainable development. I'm perfectly happy to admit that they're not as bad as many of their neighbours but that doesn't mean we should hold Turkey up as the bastion of progress and an insight into the future. That's just absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Katie Hopkins had a point about the baby names thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmlkhn)
    People contemplating sex changes should be treated the same way by medical staff as schizophrenics are treated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whys that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightonDunkley)
    1) The burqa should be completely banned

2) Immediate deportation of illegal immigrants

3) All rapists should be castrated

Personally I have no idea why any of these would be considered controversial but apparently they are
    Lol you do know the burqa is a long loose fit dress with long sleeves? Wtf's wrong with that? It's like saying gloves should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Whys that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They biologically aren't the gender they perceive themselves to truly be other than the one they biologically are. You're a man if you're born a man. A woman if you're born a woman.

The suicide rate for transgenders/people contemplating sex changes is stupidly high too, 20x more than the general population - which is high enough as it is. This is a really sad, sad statistic.

Maybe we ought to approach the situation from a different perspective - a medical/psychological one. I feel like it could do some good to be in the mental health category.

Just my 0.02¢

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    They biologically aren't the gender they perceive themselves to truly be other than the one they biologically are. You're a man if you're born a man. A woman if you're born a woman.

The suicide rate for transgenders/people contemplating sex changes is stupidly high too, 20x more than the general population - which is high enough as it is. This is a really sad, sad statistic.

Maybe we ought to approach the situation from a different perspective - a medical/psychological one. I feel like it could do some good to be in the mental health category.

Just my 0.02¢

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why on earth should they be treated in the same way as schizophrenics? Is there any evidence that the cause is similar to schizophrenia? The only similarities between the two are very, very superficial. I do not think you can make a meaningful comparison between gender dysphoria and schizophrenia. What I'm guessing you actually mean is that you think it's a mental disorder that should be 'treated' rather than simply allowing them to go along with their wishes.

ReputationRep:

Just my 0.02¢

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And you think telling them what they truly believe is wrong will lower the suicide rate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People who commit suicide are weak.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're completely missing the point of higher education. You are viewing higher education as a kind of financial investment and it's precisely this view which is resulting in the system being so messed up. Investing in a good education system isn't about the economy, it's about development. We are an intelligent species and live in an intellectual society - access to quality education should be a basic right, not an investment. That is precisely the reason why the most socially progressive societies on the planet, such as Scandinavia and many European countries, have made higher education free. Viewing education as a financial investment is backwards.
    Better educated people are generally more efficient anyway and that is better for the economy since it increases maximum potential economic output by increases the maximum supply of goods/services that can be produced.

Investment in education is a long-run way to improve one's economy. Thing is, the economy won't benefit until many new parliaments and that's why politicians are often hesitant to do it. Investing in more NHS beds in the short-term always gets them more votes because people get emotional and just don't want their granny to die even though that poor economic policy is indirectly killing thousands of additional grannies than needs be.

Of course there are other forms of supply-side investment too though like investing in infrastructure. It isn't always wise to invest in education if economic problems are more severe right now in the short-term or if the same amount of money invested in infrastructure would likely do more.

I guess my point is that investing in education certainly is an economics-issue, however I think you're over-simplifying the nature of economics. It is certainly not merely trying to minimise a budget deficit each year in the long-run...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignitus7)
    Ugh, omg I'm really sorry! Trust me, I wish it wasn't true myself!!! I feel so alone with this knowledge… :/ tbh I was expecting you (or someone else) to start an argument with me over it
    On a lighter note, here's a guy who successfully trains horses without the use of equipment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkR5-mrxbjw

I am really surprised at the amount of people abroad who train horses in different ways to ours. We are really close-minded and competition-driven in the UK - we are not a 'horse-loving nation', we are a 'horse-sport' loving nation.
    That's probably because polo is fantastic to watch.. sadly too expensive for me to play, after you enlightening me I suspect won't when I am older now, for which I am grateful.
    Yeah it is a shame how angry people get on here :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Better educated people are generally more efficient anyway and that is better for the economy since it increases maximum potential economic output by increases the maximum supply of goods/services that can be produced.
    ...because they're better educated... which comes from having a better education, not innately from themselves, you anus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.