Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Do you have a fear of failure? Sometimes that motivates people. Think about retakes if you don't do well this time, pressure on doing exams alongside a2 whilst holding a university place etc etc. You need to realise the importance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I KNOWWW ((((((((( I really want to go to university but at this rate all the ones I've looked at for the course I want require AAB or ABB. At this rate I'm not too confident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Do you have a fear of failure? Sometimes that motivates people. Think about retakes if you don't do well this time, pressure on doing exams alongside a2 whilst holding a university place etc etc. You need to realise the importance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It motivates well ill give you that, but when you're literally leaving it until the day the motivation doesn't always pay off because theres a high chance you wont be able to cover everything (though some will be able to). That and the stress overload makes it hard to get the info into your head, but good technique night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollyanna1998)
    Did you apply to university
    Unfortunately no. 😔 I chose to resit year 12 as I despised physics and I told my teachers that I would resit the year if I had to take physics to A2.

Unfortunately, the Maths gods were not in my favour and I got an E, so I couldn't take it onto A2. It took a lot of persuading for my head of sixth to let me resit the year. I'm so glad that I did as I actually enjoy my subjects now.

I'm taking psychology and geography as new A-Levels and I am resitting AS Biology and Chemistry 😊 I hope to do psychology at university, so these exams are very important to me 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious M)
    i;ve been taught it but i dont know what it is.. lord my recall is complete an utter crap right now
    The peg word technique and the method of loci are separate techniques

Method of loci is when you think of a regular route that you take, picture a number of key landmarks along that route and then picture whatever word you want to remember with that landmark. Then when you think of the landmark the word should also be in your memory.

The peg word method is when you use a list like 'One is a Bun' Two is a shoe' and then picture the word you want to remember for example an apple, and picture it in a shoe, if that makes sense! it is pretty complicated!

ReputationRep:
    Well i wouldve been screwed had it not been for you, dear angel:P, what is the peg method again?
    It is basically when you associate a word with another word and visually hang it using a peg. Apparently it's a good method of learning information quickly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well im off, If i stay up now im deffo fudged tomorrow, have fun revising guys and lets hope cramming an hour or so before somehow helps me

Goodnight to all and good luck~~
    GOOD LUCK HUN! Every little helps blah blah. Just go in there with the right attitude, your mindset helps. Don't miss out any questions - blag about it if you don't know anything. You will do fine. Tell me how you think it went tomorrow praying to the exam gods for easy questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)
    It is basically when you associate a word with another word and visually hang it using a peg. Apparently it's a good method of learning information quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't that the method of loci where you associate something with a room in a house....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_Lake)
    The peg word technique and the method of loci are separate techniques

Method of loci is when you think of a regular route that you take, picture a number of key landmarks along that route and then picture whatever word you want to remember with that landmark. Then when you think of the landmark the word should also be in your memory.

The peg word method is when you use a list like 'One is a Bun' Two is a shoe' and then picture the word you want to remember for example an apple, and picture it in a shoe, if that makes sense! it is pretty complicated!
    I'll reread this tomorrow - that is a horrible way to remember in my opinion :P
    Thankyou! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusSeizure)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my mind is long gone for this, thankyou though, good luck and good night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GelukkigChloe)
    Unfortunately no. 😔 I chose to resit year 12 as I despised physics and I told my teachers that I would resit the year if I had to take physics to A2.

Unfortunately, the Maths gods were not in my favour and I got an E, so I couldn't take it onto A2. It took a lot of persuading for my head of sixth to let me resit the year. I'm so glad that I did as I actually enjoy my subjects now.

I'm taking psychology and geography as new A-Levels and I am resitting AS Biology and Chemistry 😊 I hope to do psychology at university, so these exams are very important to me 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My current college doesn't let you resit, I feel like I'd snap up the opportunity to resit year 12 though, and put more into it We will just have to see how bad I do...

ReputationRep:
    my mind is long gone for this, thankyou though, good luck and good night!
    You too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK HUN! Every little helps blah blah. Just go in there with the right attitude, your mindset helps. Don't miss out any questions - blag about it if you don't know anything. You will do fine. Tell me how you think it went tomorrow praying to the exam gods for easy questions

lmao thankyou, you too :P
    You and me both! i will be blabbing 75% of the time i assure you, good night and good luck!

Yeah ofc we'll discuss it here

ReputationRep:
    My current college doesn't let you resit, I feel like I'd snap up the opportunity to resit year 12 though, and put more into it We will just have to see how bad I do...
    My sixth form is quite against it, they were trying to persuade kids with EUU to carry on. Needless to say, we stood our ground.

You won't do bad at all! Regardless of what people say, your AS grades don't matter too much. A kid at my school has an offer from Loughborough for Physics or Engineering, with an E in physics (he is resitting every exam this year alongside A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form is quite against it, they were trying to persuade kids with EUU to carry on. Needless to say, we stood our ground.

You won't do bad at all! Regardless of what people say, your AS grades don't matter too much. A kid at my school has an offer from Loughborough for Physics or Engineering, with an E in physics (he is resitting every exam this year alongside A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm confused about applying to universities, is ABB the grades they want you to have for AS or for AS and A2 combined.

I know a lot of people settle down in A2 and get working hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm confused about applying to universities, is ABB the grades they want you to have for AS or for AS and A2 combined.

I know a lot of people settle down in A2 and get working hard.
    ABB are the grades they want at the end of A2. If your school hasn't got a reputation of over-inflating predicted A2 grades (so, students apply with an AAB prediction but actually attain a BDD or something very often) and they give you a predicted grade of ABB then there is no reason why you can't apply to those universities. Most sixth forms tend to look at the highest grade required by the uni and put that as your predicted (unless they genuinely think it is impossible for you to achieve that grade or there is a strong possibility that you will over achieve). Many sixth forms stick to the 'one grade higher' rule, where they predict you one grade higher than your AS results. So if you get BCC, they will predict you ABB. It isn't an uncommon prediction 😊

Edit: my school has always put the grades the student needs to get into the uni of their choice except in this one case where this kid who got three E's in AS wanted an A*A*A prediction. Obviously that was never going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ABB are the grades they want at the end of A2. If your school hasn't got a reputation of over-inflating predicted A2 grades (so, students apply with an AAB prediction but actually attain a BDD or something very often) and they give you a predicted grade of ABB then there is no reason why you can't apply to those universities. Most sixth forms tend to look at the highest grade required by the uni and put that as your predicted (unless they genuinely think it is impossible for you to achieve that grade or there is a strong possibility that you will over achieve). Many sixth forms stick to the 'one grade higher' rule, where they predict you one grade higher than your AS results. So if you get BCC, they will predict you ABB. It isn't an uncommon prediction 😊

Edit: my school has always put the grades the student needs to get into the uni of their choice except in this one case where this kid who got three E's in AS wanted an A*A*A prediction. Obviously that was never going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My college sucks ass, it literally writes down your AS grades as your A2 prediction

ReputationRep:
    My college sucks ass, it literally writes down your AS grades as your A2 prediction
    That sucks! Maybe you could sweet talk them into predicting higher grades, especially if it's only tweaking one or two. If not then you can always apply through adjustment if you get higher grades or take a gap year and apply 😊 I'm living proof that an extra year doesn't hurt much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sucks! Maybe you could sweet talk them into predicting higher grades, especially if it's only tweaking one or two. If not then you can always apply through adjustment if you get higher grades or take a gap year and apply 😊 I'm living proof that an extra year doesn't hurt much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd like to go to university at the same time as my friends though
    Yeah here's to hoping my sweet talking skills are enough. Maybe I'll bring them cake

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to go to university at the same time as my friends though
    Yeah here's to hoping my sweet talking skills are enough. Maybe I'll bring them cake
    I can guarantee that once you get to university, it doesn't matter when your friends went there 😊 some of my friends were dead set on uni and have ended up taking a gap year. Even when you go to uni, you will unlikely go to the same one as your friends and even so, uni is a big place and you are not guaranteed to see them.

Please don't let friends be a factor in what you decide to do for your future. That was the reason why I chose the wrong A-Level subjects for me first time round. Don't miss good opportunities because you want to go to uni at the same time as your friends because once you are there, nobody cares 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can guarantee that once you get to university, it doesn't matter when your friends went there 😊 some of my friends were dead set on uni and have ended up taking a gap year. Even when you go to uni, you will unlikely go to the same one as your friends and even so, uni is a big place and you are not guaranteed to see them.

Please don't let friends be a factor in what you decide to do for your future. That was the reason why I chose the wrong A-Level subjects for me first time round. Don't miss good opportunities because you want to go to uni at the same time as your friends because once you are there, nobody cares 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not letting my friends be a big deciding factor, I'm going to do what I want to do and go where I want to go regardless, I just meant that I want to go when I'm 18 I guess, so that im not older than most of the people in my 'year' or whatever. But of course if I need to resit then 100% I will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.