The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Impune
Oh, cool. Is your MPhil going to have a German component to it, do you think? I studied philosophy and political science at NYU.

Actually, no. :P My thesis deals with the U.K. I'm trying to widen my geographic focus in grad school (although Germany will always have a special place in my heart... haha).

Did you apply for the Cambridge Trust?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 941
Original post by richarsl
Actually, no. :P My thesis deals with the U.K. I'm trying to widen my geographic focus in grad school (although Germany will always have a special place in my heart... haha).

Did you apply for the Cambridge Trust?

Oh, nice. Do you have an idea of what modules you'd like to take yet? I'm thinking International Relations Theory, International Security, and International Organization.

I applied for basically everything. Haha. But yes, the Trust was amongst them. Haven't heard anything yet, but I think that's normal -- I don't even think the funding application deadline has passed yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 942
Original post by Impune

I didn't. I looked up potential supervisors, briefly reviewed their work/overarching themes of their research, and then listed the one's I wanted to work with most in my research proposal. I'm doing an MPhil program, however; I think it's much more common for PhD candidates to get supervisor support before filling out their application.

It depends on the department. For a PhD in History, they advise it.

Original post by SiaSiaSia
I thought so?! But then It seemed to say on the form they were still waiting for my documents?! I found a form where you cross a box saying "I'm an English native", so I did that, PDFed it and added it to my supporting documents, but obviously now it's two months after I submitted everything else. So, automatic rejection here I come...

Your application will be examined after the January deadline. They are waiting for all the applications to arrive before making a decision, probably because they rank their applicants and want to see the big picture.

Don't worry about your English test (if you are from the USA, UK, Aus, NZ, Can, Ireland).

Did everyone contact a supervisor before they applied?! I literally just put 50 quid in, spent a few weeks on/off working on my application, and asked my references to fill it in as soon as possible. I am way out of touch with this uni process, I think :frown:.

Masters or PhD?
Reply 943
Well I just realised I didn't submit my language proficiency test... So that's probably why I haven't heard anything even though I'm an English native. And I should have submitted it in November. For ****'s sake. :frown:

I thought so?! But then It seemed to say on the form they were still waiting for my documents?! I found a form where you cross a box saying "I'm an English native", so I did that, PDFed it and added it to my supporting documents, but obviously now it's two months after I submitted everything else. So, automatic rejection here I come...

Even if you were a non-native speaker it would not be an automatic rejection. Stuff like English language tests, if required and not completed by the time of application, would become a condition of an offer. I know this because that's what happened to me (after which I told them I was a native English speaker and they then removed it). Just be patient: while there are some people here who seem to have moved very swiftly through the process, average wait time for Cambridge is 3 months.
Original post by sj27
I'm really hoping you get funding. With the rand having crashed the way it has I fear there will be even fewer SA students making their way to Cambridge :frown: ....The cost of my masters at Cam has literally doubled in rand terms (increase in fees + rand fall) in 3 years.

It is a difficult period. We reached 17.50 against a dollar. I was hoping to use some of my savings to support my family and now I am 25% short
Original post by tj23
If it's of help for anyone, my timeline was (but your timeline will probably be different)

Application submitted: 21/11/15
Under consideration by department: 23/11/15
Application with Degree Committee: 09/12/15
Awaiting consideration by BoGS: 10/12/15
Under consideration by BoGS: 14/12/15
Conditional Offer Made: 17/12/15
College Offer: 18/12/15

I applied for a PhD in Physics.
Now waiting for funding...

Well done on the offer! I have a few questions about the way funding works? I've seen a few people say they have offers but need to wait for funding, where does the funding come from and how long will you be waiting to find out? How does funding work in physics and is it competitive?
Did you have an interview or did it just go straight to BoGS?
Also what grades did you get at uni?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by biologynerd95
Well done on the offer! I have a few questions about the way funding works? I've seen a few people say they have offers but need to wait for funding, where does the funding come from and how long will you be waiting to find out? How does funding work in physics and is it competitive?
Also what grades did you get at uni?

There are a number of sources of funding:
- You have the ones you apply for during your application;
- Ones you can apply to externally;
- College funding.

(I've probably missed a few options but someone with more knowledge will be able to help).
Reply 947
Original post by 05autyt
Now I've had my interview I am back to checking camsis every 10 mins or so! Help me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did go your interview? Duration and sort of questions?
Original post by Aceadria
There are a number of sources of funding:
- You have the ones you apply for during your application;
- Ones you can apply to externally;
- College funding.

(I've probably missed a few options but someone with more knowledge will be able to help).

It's just that PhDs usually come with funding already attached or funded by a research council and there are more projects than funding. I'm wondering if that is the case here or are the physics PhDs funded by the Cambridge trust/Colleges?
Just got my official offer through :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 05autyt
Just got my official offer through :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

congratulations. :smile:
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BSDladla
congratulations. :smile:
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Thank youuuuu! So happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 952
Original post by 05autyt
Now I've had my interview I am back to checking camsis every 10 mins or so! Help me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just had my interview, and the tension has spiked up for me
Reply 953
Been under consideration by the degree committee for almost 3 months now 🙁 anyone heard anything from the Economics department?
Reply 954

It's just that PhDs usually come with funding already attached or funded by a research council and there are more projects than funding. I'm wondering if that is the case here or are the physics PhDs funded by the Cambridge trust/Colleges?

Are you interested in a PhD in Physics (your username seems to suggest some slightly different area :wink: )? For the Department of Physics the funding depends a bit on what you want to do. There are of course positions with attached funding from research councils (usually advertised on the website of the potential supervisor or as a job on the cam website. Often they are only open to UK applicants and maybe EU applicants, and rarely to internationals. Plus you are bound to a specific project and can only choose up to a certain extent what you're going to do (a lot of people are happy with it).

Another avenue are of course industry funded PhDs but then again you're limited in your project choice. In Dep of Physics groups like TCM, HEP or LSC have a lot of industry connections, some of these groups are actually able to fund PhD students on their own (i.e. not bound to a company or whatever) but that is actually rare.If you want to propose your own project or work in a group which does not have that much money (or are an international) funding opportunities as mentioned by Aceadria are open to you. You can narrow it down to the relevant scholarships with a search on camfund.

There are some specific to physics. Besides that, the department also has some scholarships which do not consider you automatically but are also not listed on camfund, so it's worth checking the website whether they apply to you. Furthermore, there are three CDTs relevant for the Dep of Physics, which also offer funding for home and EU students.

Re competitiveness: last year 160 applicants were made an offer for a research degree (includes a few MPhils afaik) of which 89 were confirmed. The Winton scholarship (one of departmental funding avenues) offers 10 scholarships this year so you can see yourself how competitive it is.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

Did you have an interview or did it just go straight to BoGS?

I did an MPhil at the Dep of Physics last year. My prospective supervisor was my internal examiner and we also discussed the project before I left, so not much need for a formal interview.

Usually applicants for the PhD in Physics (and often the MPhils as well) have interviews but the way it's organised depends on the specific research group your applying to.
Original post by econuggets
Been under consideration by the degree committee for almost 3 months now 🙁 anyone heard anything from the Economics department?

Same!!! I applied in Oct for finance and economics, but still have not heard from them. Wonder if that's usual :frown:
Reply 956
Hey. Im a long time stalker of this page! haha. Just wondering if anyones applied for pure maths MAST?
Reply 957
Original post by neverbegin
Same!!! I applied in Oct for finance and economics, but still have not heard from them. Wonder if that's usual :frown:

I have a friend who applied in early November anf got an offer in December! She's probably in the top 1% of our cohort at uni though
Reply 958
Original post by neverbegin

I have a friend who applied in early November anf got an offer in December! She's probably in the top 1% of our cohort at uni though

This is exactly usual for eco. Top students get early offers and most people wait till they have most of the applications in.
Reply 959

I am at the same stage and have been for months now. The only correspondence I have received from Cam was an e-mail letting me know that my app was on hold so I assume I will be waiting for a while longer. My feeling is that they give out a majority of the offers in March/April

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending