Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    besides SGUL, any one heard of any further uni's sending out rejection emais yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuromeg)
    So I think the main thing for you would to obviously spend more time revising - whilst an overall of 50 isn't that bad to be honest it sounds like you could do a lot better. For S1/S2 read a lot, practice essays often and get people to read through your answers etc. Learn the difference between similar words. With the rest of your free time - study for S3!

S3, well, it's pretty hard. I'm a science graduate, but I found there wasn't much biology in there and a lot of it was so dense that I ended up running out of time and had to guess ~30 questions. Dismal. The main issue for me was that the questions weren't that hard, but I was really worried I would miss something and make a mistake. A lot of it is having good timing and a good head-game I think. If I were to do it again I would really focus on organic chemistry so that the answers came more naturally to me. A high score in S3 makes your average much better, so focus on that more than the others.

Are you going to sit it again in March? That way you've got 2 more attempts (if you need them) before reapplying.
    Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Additional revision is definitely the name of the game, I was just quite surprised how much is given to you in the question; even if you don't necessarily know the topic.

I'll definitely be taking the GAMSAT again, this first attempt was really to alleviate my worries as from my internet musings it was made out to be quite the horrible exam; that and to get a feel for the 'logic' of the exam/how the questions are asked. I didn't anticipate a good result in S3 and S1/S2 acted as a reality check for how smart I actually was (not as much as I thought!).

This exam did really seem to focus on Organic chem and from speaking to some other people who sat the London exam they felt quite concerned by the sheer quantity of OC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaMed)
    Every time I get an email today I'm like "OH my god, this is it!" ... then it turns out to be spam and I have a mini breakdown.
    I just ordered a book on amazon and then 20 seconds when the confirmation email came through I had a little freak out!

On that note- is anyone doing interview prep? I'm going to try to read as many articles as I can, revise the structure of the NHS and try to come up with a coherent opinion re the state of the NHS/Junior doctor contracts etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to lose hope that they will release cut offs today... maybe tomorrow? Or maybe they'll be mean and make us wait till Friday

I've heard that Tomorrows Doctors is one of the recommended things to read for interview prep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    Oh yeah, I'm certainly in for a chance! I'm pretty much guaranteed interviews at SGUL, Notts and Swansea cuz of my GAMSAT score. My UKCAT was a bit average, so I think King's is out, but hey ho *shrugs*
    Wow sick guy! tbh Im also only really keen on the Postgrad sandwich degree because I plan to complete my pre-reg before starting the degree. Lots of time spent studying but yeah I think the previous experience is great going into the interview process bexause theres so much you could discuss.

Im planning to apply to: Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham and a London Uni... hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuromeg)
    I'm also a post-grad, BSc/ MRes. It's not so much that it makes it easier to get in if you have a masters (it does slightly cos it'll mean you have the lower threshold for GAMSAT results), but it will mean that you're more competitive once you get to the end of your Medicine degree as you score points if you have additional degrees. That's why a lot of medical students intercalate to get a BSc.
    I've applied for Notts, Swansea, Liverpool, and St. Georges. I think Notts and Swansea basically will just judge you on your GAMSAT (i.e. you reach the cut-off) and your interview performance. Not sure about Liverpool, but St.Georges also consider how well you did in the GAMSAT + your other academic things.
    Yeah agreed! hence why I feel Id feel more eqquipped going into postgrad medicine as its the previous degree experience and in my case I already work part-time in the hospital so I get first hand exposure to the challenges of the job.

Tbh St Georges and Liverpool are same as well from what Ive heard. They're less bothered about going into the nitty gritty with postgrad students because they just wanna know why you want to study fuether in such a difficult degree/what the motivation is (Only after youve got the right gamsat/ukcat scores).

I am begging to lord that this does not happen to anyone but what will you guys do if you don't get into medicine after a few UCAS application cycles?

I can't think of a career other than medicine but I do need a safety backup plan that I can follow if it does not work out :/

(Atm this is just a hypothetical scenario for me but one that is possible)

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I did the gamsat last ye and wasn't just curious what he average score for this year was ?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for the PA course as well as medicine this year?

ReputationRep:
    anyone know the cutoff for notts please? roughly??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyn)
    anyone know the cutoff for notts please? roughly??
    They haven't been released yet. The general consensus is somewhere around 60-62.

ReputationRep:
    if only it was 57...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyn)
    if only it was 57...
    It won't be that low. My money is on 60 this year. That's exactly the top 20% cut off of applicants so makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArrJay)
    Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Additional revision is definitely the name of the game, I was just quite surprised how much is given to you in the question; even if you don't necessarily know the topic.

I'll definitely be taking the GAMSAT again, this first attempt was really to alleviate my worries as from my internet musings it was made out to be quite the horrible exam; that and to get a feel for the 'logic' of the exam/how the questions are asked. I didn't anticipate a good result in S3 and S1/S2 acted as a reality check for how smart I actually was (not as much as I thought!).

This exam did really seem to focus on Organic chem and from speaking to some other people who sat the London exam they felt quite concerned by the sheer quantity of OC.
    I did six weeks of revision around a full time job and got a score of 66, having done a chemistry degree S3 was nice and easy and with extra weighting being given to it made it a lot easier. As you say though they do give you nearly everything that you need to know in the question so you really need to do past papers and get your head around the way they ask things as well as basic science knowledge.

At least you know what you can get with limited revision/ practice and if you start now just think what you might score next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben91)
    I did six weeks of revision around a full time job and got a score of 66, having done a chemistry degree S3 was nice and easy and with extra weighting being given to it made it a lot easier. As you say though they do give you nearly everything that you need to know in the question so you really need to do past papers and get your head around the way they ask things as well as basic science knowledge.

At least you know what you can get with limited revision/ practice and if you start now just think what you might score next time
    I think those who have done Chemistry degrees probably found S3 really easy! I spent so long practicing stereoisomerism :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I have two MMI interviews and I was just wondering if anyone knows the best interview course to take???
    Would appreciate any help

ReputationRep:
    Given up hope for getting any cut offs today... I don't know why but I've convinced myself it's the kind of news they would only send out in the morning.
    I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaMed)
    Given up hope for getting any cut offs today... I don't know why but I've convinced myself it's the kind of news they would only send out in the morning.
    I'm hoping I'm wong though.
    Someone who got an early rejection from SGUL said that they got the e-mail at around 6 pm. Something tells me that we'll get the cut offs e-mail at around the same time.

(Probably not today though...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyKnight)
    Someone who got an early rejection from SGUL said that they got the e-mail at around 6 pm. Something tells me that we'll get the cut offs e-mail at around the same time.

(Probably not today though...)
    But Notts might send in the morning...... ughhh >_< I'm trying to convince myself that it'll be Monday so that if anything happens this week I'll be pleasantly surprised :P I know Notts have said cut offs will be released this week-- has anyone heard from George's about when they send out cut offs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddleduck)
    But Notts might send in the morning...... ughhh >_< I'm trying to convince myself that it'll be Monday so that if anything happens this week I'll be pleasantly surprised :P I know Notts have said cut offs will be released this week-- has anyone heard from George's about when they send out cut offs?

I try and convince myself things like that too... but then I still check my emails a million times in 5 minutes and feel disappointed. My brain knows I'm trying to trick it and it's not playing the game!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.