Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8752)
    well i think it depends because there are many equations of a line. personally I had a=(0,-1/5,-1) and b= something with over 11 and 8 in it but cant remember. Notice however that I had 0 in the x component as I expressed x in terms of y and z so obviously the x component of vector a would be 0. As long as if you sub in points that satisfy both equations of the planes Pi1 and Pi2 into you equation of the line of intersection and cross them and it comes to 0 you're good to go.
    Ah I think I got something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hineshtailor)
    for the direction of the equation line i got 11, -1 ,8
    that is correct because if you divide that by 11 thats what I got I think. ie (1,-1/11,8/11) remember they can all be a factor of something out but will come to the same equation because b simply needs to be parallel to the line so can be any multiple of the direction vector

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8752)
    that is correct because if you divide that by 11 thats what I got I think. ie (1,-1/11,8/11) remember they can all be a factor of something out but will come to the same equation because b simply needs to be parallel to the line so can be any multiple of the direction vector
    Yup! I left my position vector and direction as fractions over 11.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Guys how many marks would I lose?

My first step was

I5 = I3 + (the cos thing)

The cos thing should have been 0 but I got ( root3)/2

All My working after that was correct

I ended up getting : 1/12( 1pi +9root3 -6)

How many marks ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    ********. you still need some sort of natural ability in maths. you can't pull out a normal A* student and train them to an S.
    I pulled out an A/B grade FM student, gave him quite a few hints but still saw him working through first part of Q1 STEP III 2016. He felt ecstatic after finishing it, and even did Q4 STEP II 2016 after that. The tricks are similar, so it is complete and utter rubbish to imply that you need some kind of 'natural ability' to get an S in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    I am not talking about people with learning difficulties though, I disagree with physicsmaths on the statement that an S grade requires natural ability. Not taking into account people with learning difficulties, any person who puts enough work into STEP would see that they can easily get the S grade on the real exam. This also requires work to be put into getting used to exam pressure or exam technique; this year quite a few excellent S grade mathematicians missed their S grades due to exam pressure and poor choice of questions (they know who they are).

If we were debating about the necessity of natural ability in mathematics to make influential contributions in research, I would have neutral views on this argument (since I am not at that level yet) but through my work in STEP I have realised that the problem-solving and the "tricks" needed for each STEP question are quite similar from each other. Therefore, by working sensibly through past paper questions, any mathematician would easily be able to get an S grade in STEP. It all depends on how much work a person puts in; this is the deciding factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well not any person. Maybe any person who is already mathematically adept enough to realistically consider taking STEP but even then I have doubts. What about all those people who struggle to even get Cs in foundation maths? I knew plenty in my school who you would not say have learning difficulties, they were just not particularly inclined towards maths and found it difficult to grasp. Personally I've been reasonably successful in maths so far but I honestly believe I would be extremely unlikely to ever get on an S on STEP III even if I made it my sole focus in life, because I did tons of STEP papers and questions and always seemed to find brick walls, regardless of how hard I worked (hence only taking STEP I to avoid probably embarrassing myself). You may well have spotted such tricks and similarities and interconnections because of strong ability, you cannot assume everyone would.

ReputationRep:
    For the induction part a is finding In and In-2 and subtracting them and then getting it to the required form a valid method?

ReputationRep:
    for my eigenvector 6c) i got (-2,-1,2) is this right? and for 8c) my direction vector (11,-1,8) for my position vector i got (11/4, -9/20, 1) can anyone verify if this is correct??

ReputationRep:
    Would I get any marks for the reduction formula q if I did it this way:
    LHS=I(n)-I(n-2)
    =integral (sin(nx)-sin((n-2)x))/sinx
    =integral (2cos((n-1)x*sinx)/sinx (Using C4 addition formula)
    =integral 2cos((n-1)x)
    =RHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    These are all Zacken's. I agree with them though:

1. (-ln 3, 11 - 7 ln 3)

2. 105/16 sin 2x

3. (a) pi/13(b) ln(1+sqrt(2))

5 (b) 0.25 ln (7 + 4sqrt(3)) + pi/6

6 (a) 4x + 7y + z = 21(b) k = 15/4

7 (a) k=96, (b) p=64/35

8. (b) -84/25 + ln 2

If anyone has a list of all the answers, feel free to quote me - I'll add it to the OP.
    i got 3a as pi/12 n 8b as -84/125 + ln2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomman121)
    Would I get any marks for the reduction formula q if I did it this way:
    LHS=I(n)-I(n-2)
    =integral (sin(nx)-sin((n-2)x))/sinx
    =integral (2cos((n-1)x*sinx)/sinx (Using C4 addition formula)
    =integral 2cos((n-1)x)
    =RHS
    I did the same as that, but I'm guessing you meant factor formulae not addition formulae

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarocMan)
    Yes i do plan to do Maths, and I don't think they will be hesitant about accepting gap years as you will be taking on STEP and being productive. Also youre right about the resitting point so thats y i will be calling them up on results day to ask
    Thank x that's probably a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahussain96)
    for my eigenvector 6c) i got (-2,-1,2) is this right? and for 8c) my direction vector (11,-1,8) for my position vector i got (11/4, -9/20, 1) can anyone verify if this is correct??
    I got (0,-1/5,?). Can't remember what I got for z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    how do u prove that a point is correct?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so for the arcoths I really screwed up. Are there ft marks? I used y=(arcothx)^2 showed that that equals 2/(1-x^2) which it doesn't! Argh! So stupid. So my dy/dx and d2y/dx2 were wrong for the following part. Would I get marks for using them or do I lose all 8 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Well not any person. Maybe any person who is already mathematically adept enough to realistically consider taking STEP but even then I have doubts. What about all those people who struggle to even get Cs in foundation maths? I knew plenty in my school who you would not say have learning difficulties, they were just not particularly inclined towards maths and found it difficult to grasp. Personally I've been reasonably successful in maths so far but I honestly believe I would be extremely unlikely to ever get on an S on STEP III even if I made it my sole focus in life, because I did tons of STEP papers and questions and always seemed to find brick walls, regardless of how hard I worked (hence only taking STEP I to avoid probably embarrassing myself). You may well have spotted such tricks and similarities and interconnections because of strong ability, you cannot assume everyone would.
    Those people who struggle getting Cs in Foundation Mathematics had more to do with extenuating circumstances than 'natural ability'. I do agree that analytical prowess may differ between people, but this difference is not enough to account for a person failing foundation maths and another getting an A* in higher maths. I study in a school which used to be categorised as one of the lowest performing schools in London, and has over 80% of the students under free-school meals. After it became an academy last year, the percentage of 5 A*-C at GCSE nearly doubled, you can't seriously tell me that those children were gifted a mathematical prowess and natural ability by David Cameron's academisation in order for them to pass their GCSE Maths. They were finally brought into an academically stimulating environment which emphasised academic work over anything.

Now, back to STEP, due to the fact that you took STEP I two years ago, you must agree that there are quite a few tricks for each type of question that are accessible to an ordinary A-level Mathematician through hard work. It is simply not true that the trick of using symmetry between trigonometric functions (Q4 STEP II 2016) and the adding zero creatively trick, cannot be learnt solely by working through past paper questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahussain96)
    how do u prove that a point is correct?
    I forgot how you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    I had z as -1 for those x and y values

ReputationRep:
    That could have been a lot worse. Looking at an A*, so happy lads

ReputationRep:
    That question where they said to integrate without using a calculator and you got it to arcsin(1) - arcsin(1/2) and you're just like "**** it, I'm using a calculator..." :biggrin:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.