Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    But surely if stationary phase is solid, it separates by adsorption and if the stationary phase is a liquid, it separates by relative solubilities?
    Yeah but it doesn't tell you the stationary phase, it asks about gas/liquid chromatography and gas separates by relative solubilities right?

ReputationRep:
    How would you form a carboxylic acid from its salt?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465760964.338118.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  122.2 KB guys how are we supposed to know where the double bond is in the structure?!i put it randomly anywhere but in the ms they wanted a specific structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    I'm having so many panic attacks about this exam i'm actually considering not going in to do the exam at all
    dont think like that! just know that each and every single one of us is feeling that way! dont stress, try your best and forget the rest! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465760964.338118.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  122.2 KB guys how are we supposed to know where the double bond is in the structure?!i put it randomly anywhere but in the ms they wanted a specific structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says F is an amino acid, so consider the general formula of an amino acid: http://www.mrothery.co.uk/images/aa.GIF
    If E is oxidised to an amino acid by Tollens, that means an ALDEHYDE group is being oxidised to a CARBOXYLIC ACID group

One carbon must be bonded to an NH2, a COOH, an H and a R group (for F) - hence the only thing you can change is the R group and the double bond must be in the R group. If there is no double bond, it wont fit the molecular formula it gives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    dont think like that! just know that each and every single one of us is feeling that way! dont stress, try your best and forget the rest! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I seriously I can't take it any more :'(

(Original post by AqsaMx)
    How would you form a carboxylic acid from its salt?
    How would you form a 'normal' acid from it's salt?

(Can you even form an acid from it's salt....)

ReputationRep:
    legit hate chemistry rn :[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    How would you form a 'normal' acid from it's salt?

(Can you even form an acid from it's salt....)
    I don't know if this is right but for example CH3COO-Na + HCl > CH3COOH + NaCl? Is this right?

I think you can, my teacher gave it as a set of questions

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'll not have that kind of talk!

I don't know if this is right but for example CH3COO-Na + HCl > CH3COOH + NaCl? Is this right?

I think you can, my teacher gave it as a set of questions
    Ah yes of course!

ReputationRep:
    what do you guys think is gonna come up for the NMR imagine if they ask us to draw one- bye

ReputationRep:
    You'll be okay, there's loads of people here who will help you with anything you're stuck on. I know I start feeling like that when I've been doing too much work, maybe you need to take a break and relax a bit, just completely forget about the exam for a couple of hours and do something you like. It always does me a world of good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    It says F is an amino acid, so consider the general formula of an amino acid: http://www.mrothery.co.uk/images/aa.GIF
    If E is oxidised to an amino acid by Tollens, that means an ALDEHYDE group is being oxidised to a CARBOXYLIC ACID group

One carbon must be bonded to an NH2, a COOH, an H and a R group (for F) - hence the only thing you can change is the R group and the double bond must be in the R group. If there is no double bond, it wont fit the molecular formula it gives
    thank h soo much! tbh i didnt even think about it being an amino acid, i totally overlooked that and focused more on it being an optical isomer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465763175.471769.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  120.0 KB
    guys how would one identify the final strucutre out of four isomers? what info would u use to determine that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 548665

Can anyone explain the relative heights question? What's it even asking?
    Which paper is this? I want to attempt it myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    guys how would one identify the final strucutre out of four isomers? what info would u use to determine that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see the whole question, but look at the number of peaks on the c13 spectrum and look at your isomers and cross out any that have more or less environments than the peak

ReputationRep:
    How are you structuring your answers for the long answer NMR questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it's the number of C-13 peaks = no. of carbon environments. Only one of the isomers has 5 carbon environments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    How are you structuring your answers for the long answer NMR questions
    Table of peaks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.