Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extraordinaire)
    Does it ever pay off for A Level students though? Like do Russell Group unis prefer candidates who took A Levels as opposed to BTEC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True but they have to give some places to the BTEC kids, as an aspiring lawyer I think someone with ABB in respectable subjects is more qualified than a distinction in a BTEC..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahil19)
    True but they have to give some places to the BTEC kids, as an aspiring lawyer I think someone with ABB in respectable subjects is more qualified than a distinction in a BTEC..
    Random question, but why does the fact that you're an aspiring lawyer think that it makes your opinion more credible? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Does it annoy anyone else that BTEC's weigh as much as A-levels when they're nowhere near as much work..
    Yeh but if you applied with 4 A-levsl compared to 4 BTecs same equivalent grades, Im guessing you will be preferred,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francis_e_c)
    Random question, but why does the fact that you're an aspiring lawyer think that it makes your opinion more credible? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because as someone who's looked thoroughly through the course and started networking I know that a B in History A-level would be more advantageous than a distinction* in BTEC law. Good question though, probably should've made that clear haha
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    What you think you've got:

English Language - A*
    English Literature - B
    Maths - B
    Chemistry - A/A*
    Biology - A/A*
    Physics - B
    Religious Studies - A*
    History - A/A*
    Geography - A*
    French - C/B

Taking for A-Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    History
    Philosophy & Ethics

With the hopes of becoming a lawyer.
    Omg awesome! Are you going to go into criminal law? (Murders, rape cases, etc)

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks mate - i'm not fluent really but they're my favourite/best subjects, so crossed fingers I'll be ok none of them are from square 1, thank god!!

ReputationRep:
    Because as someone who's looked thoroughly through the course and started networking I know that a B in History A-level would be more advantageous than a distinction* in BTEC law. Good question though, probably should've made that clear haha
    Should've. It read as though you were trying to show superiority or something, and that's coming from a fellow aspiring lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Should've. It read as though you were trying to show superiority or something, and that's coming from a fellow aspiring lawyer.
    yeah upon reading it I totally get that, was just trying to make a point about how A-levels are and always should be more respected than BTEC's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExoIceCream99)
    Omg awesome! Are you going to go into criminal law? (Murders, rape cases, etc)
    Thanks! I mean, I won't really know until I've studied all the different areas of law at university - but now, with my naïve opinion, I want to go into commercial law at a city firm.

ReputationRep:
    yeah upon reading it I totally get that, was just trying to make a point about how A-levels are and always should be more respected than BTEC's.
    Yeah, it's fine - I understand lmao. What made you want to go into law?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He didn't say his opinion was more credible.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a silly question, but when uni starts do they like teach from scratch and everyone starts in the same boat or do they just expect you to have some prior knowledge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks! I mean, I won't really know until I've studied all the different areas of law at university - but now, with my naïve opinion, I want to go into commercial law at a city firm.
    Oh okay fair enough ~

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's fine - I understand lmao. What made you want to go into law?
    Always been a desire of mine, I relish the idea of justice being upheld in any case. Haven't done the degree yet so not sure what I want to go in but coporate and commerical law appeals to me the most; working at somewhere like Clifford Chance or Hogan & Lovells.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by OwaisB)
    This may be a silly question, but when uni starts do they like teach from scratch and everyone starts in the same boat or do they just expect you to have some prior knowledge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scratch of course. Unless you're studying maths. They're not going to be like, "What is 1+1?"

ReputationRep:
    Always been a desire of mine, I relish the idea of justice being upheld in any case. Haven't done the degree yet so not sure what I want to go in but coporate and commerical law appeals to me the most; working at somewhere like Chance & Clifford or Hogan & Lovells.
    It started for me after my auntie's boyfriend was up in court, and I was wanting to do medicine at the time. Then, watching it, I was like damn - these people are badasses. I researched it more and bam! Ha, same here! Although I'd much rather Linklaters or Slaughter & May. That is, if I want to become a solicitor. I'm not quite sure yet. The Bar is so much more competitive though, and I love competition - but the field is competitive enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExoIceCream99)
    He didn't say his opinion was more credible.
    No, but that's what it appeared like to me. Why else mention it?

ReputationRep:
    It started for me after my auntie's boyfriend was up in court, and I was wanting to do medicine at the time. Then, watching it, I was like damn - these people are badasses. I researched it more and bam! Ha, same here! Although I'd much rather Linklaters or Slaughter & May. That is, if I want to become a solicitor. I'm not quite sure yet. The Bar is so much more competitive though, and I love competition - but the field is competitive enough as it is.
    Yeah it is a very congested degree, my back ups are a politician or in the economics field in a bank like Merill Lynch or Goldman Sachs. Being a lawyer for a global bank would be incredible as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a very congested degree, my back ups are a politician or in the economics field in a bank like Merill Lynch or Goldman Sachs. Being a lawyer for a global bank would be incredible as well.
    Back ups? I know nothing about those fields, but aren't they just as competitive? I mean politics maybe not as much, I'm not sure, but Goldman Sachs is a HUGE company.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    No, but that's what it appeared like to me. Why else mention it?
    Because me and the other person also want to be lawyers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.