Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Decided to follow in physicsmaths footsteps and do my own top tips for vectors

Step 1: read the question
    Step 2:Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465776342.268857.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  46.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    What if you can't use <=> and the left statements are less general .
    That's when I use <= .
    Actually I want to ask is it wrong to claim P=>Q when P,Q are equivalent ?
    It's kind of tricky because P implies Q so it's true but these symbols refer to what P and Q are to each other and since they are equivalent P=>Q is wrong . Idk if that makes sense, just answer.
    The definition of P \Leftrightarrow Q is that P \Rightarrow Q and Q \Rightarrow P, so P \Rightarrow Q is clearly correct.

Yeah if I can't use \Leftrightarrow I use \Leftarrow.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't know if its just me or is anyone else having this problem. But for the past week or so, the equations across multiple threads are not displaying, they are instead displaying as an text such as

"displaystyle \begin{equation*} \int \frac{x + 1 - 1}{1+x} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1 - \frac{1}{x+1} \, \mathrm{d}x = x - \ln |x+1| + \mathcal{C}\end{equation*}"

and a symbol that represents missing image.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ox2015)
    Hi, I don't know if its just me or is anyone else having this problem. But for the past week or so, the equations across multiple threads are not displaying, they are instead displaying as an text such as

"displaystyle \begin{equation*} \int \frac{x + 1 - 1}{1+x} \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1 - \frac{1}{x+1} \, \mathrm{d}x = x - \ln |x+1| + \mathcal{C}\end{equation*}"

Thanks.
    I've noticed that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Guys for STEP III 1991 Q7 (which is an awesome Q btw) last bit of part (c), is this reasoning ok? I'm not sure it's what they wanted or even if it would get full marks.

\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln(\sin x)=\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln\left(\dfrac{x\sin x}{x}\right)=\displaystyle\lim_{  x \to 0} x\ln x +\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln\left(\dfrac{\sin x}{x}\right)=0 since \displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{\sin x}{x}=1

ReputationRep:
    What do A1, M1, B1 etc. mean in the marking schemes?

ReputationRep:
    STEP ii 2014, Q3,

The last part, how does the sketch looks like? This is what the mark scheme says.
    Part (iii) then requires combining the two possible cases from part (ii) to construct a curve whichsatisfies the conditions given. This must be an arc of a circle with no vertical tangents, with straightlines at either end of the arc in the direction of the tangents to the circle at that point.

I think that the two lines have the same gradient and different cutting points and hence they are moving to the same direction as the equation of line in part ii indicates.

I don't know why the mark scheme says that, because if it's like that, then the gradient of the lines are different and cutting points are the same which is different to what is supposed to be the lines in part ii?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all for STEP I tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Seconded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

7. After the exam

This advice will be updated if the 2016 process if different to 2015.

- Do not register for results until 5 days before the exam. This is due to a quirk in the results page, which has caused issues in the past.

- Some browsers, particularly Chrome, don't work well with the results page. The best browsers seem to be IE and Firefox.

I don't know if this has already been answered, but from the original post, what does the bit in Red mean, i.e. what is this about registering? What do I need to do before the exam? (My school confirmed that they've entered me for STEP 2/3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miningstew)
    I don't know if this has already been answered, but from the original post, what does the bit in Red mean, i.e. what is this about registering? What do I need to do before the exam? (My school confirmed that they've entered me for STEP 2/3)
    Heh, that's a typo. It should say "Do not register until 5 days before results". Once the exam is over, the examiners will hand you a slip with a password and/or username that you'll use to register on ATS's website for results. There's a quirk with the website that has historically led to students being locked out if they register earlier than 5 days before the results day, so the advice is to wait till then before registering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Seconded!
    Thank you both very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    What do A1, M1, B1 etc. mean in the marking schemes?
    Accuracy mark, method mark, independent mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ox2015)

Thanks.
    The TSR LaTeX compliler hasn't been working intermittently over the past week or so. It'll be fixed in due course, it's linked to some maintenance they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few things to check if they are correct to do:
    1. As in the front of page of STEP does not specify, I guess that diagrams can be drawn with pencil.
    2. (sqroot(x^2))=modulus(x) unless we are sure that x>0, in that case we will write =x.
    3. Always write ln(modulus(x)) instead of lnx in step?
    4. Use the methods that the questions suggest you unless the word 'otherwise' appears, so we can use other methods and gain marks.
    5. Shall we know the area and volumes of sphere and cones,etc?
    6. And one silly question, the integral of sinx in the limits pi and -pi, without the modulus sign, is it equal to 0 or 4. In other words, shall we split the integrals into 2 halves with limits 0 and -pi, and pi and 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Guys for STEP III 1991 Q7 (which is an awesome Q btw) last bit of part (c), is this reasoning ok? I'm not sure it's what they wanted or even if it would get full marks.

\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln(\sin x)=\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln\left(\dfrac{x\sin x}{x}\right)=\displaystyle\lim_{  x \to 0} x\ln x +\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln\left(\dfrac{\sin x}{x}\right)=0 since \displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{\sin x}{x}=1
    Seems fine, I did it by just saying that sin x approx x as x tends to 0, which is what I think they expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geraer100)
    I have a few things to check if they are correct to do:
    1. As in the front of page of STEP does not specify, I guess that diagrams can be drawn with pencil.
    2. (sqroot(x^2))=modulus(x) unless we are sure that x>0, in that case we will write =x.
    3. Always write ln(modulus(x)) instead of lnx in step?
    4. Use the methods that the questions suggest you unless the word 'otherwise' appears, so we can use other methods and gain marks.
    5. Shall we know the area and volumes of sphere and cones,etc?
    6. And one silly question, the integral of sinx in the limits pi and -pi, without the modulus sign, is it equal to 0 or 4. In other words, shall we split the integrals into 2 halves with limits 0 and -pi, and pi and 0.
    1. Yes, you can use pencil to draw diagrams.
    2. That's correct.
    3. I think in most cases, you write ln x for whatever reason in STEP, the solutions always seem to skim over it. So I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it was obvious that the question was asking about it.
    4. That's correct.
    5. The basis areas/volumes like triangle/rectangles/trapezium are the only really important ones, maybe volume of a sphere, I've never seen a cone come up (or, I think it has once but they gave the formula for it...? not sure)
    6. Well, sin x is an odd function and you're integrating it between an even interval, so it's 0. You should get 0 even if you split it into two integrals.

ReputationRep:
    STEP 1 2015 Q3

In this answer:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...5&d=1434482176

Why is tan x = (b-a)/(b+a)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    1. Yes, you can use pencil to draw diagrams.
    2. That's correct.
    3. I think in most cases, you write ln x for whatever reason in STEP, the solutions always seem to skim over it. So I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it was obvious that the question was asking about it.
    4. That's correct.
    5. The basis areas/volumes like triangle/rectangles/trapezium are the only really important ones, maybe volume of a sphere, I've never seen a cone come up (or, I think it has once but they gave the formula for it...? not sure)
    6. Well, sin x is an odd function and you're integrating it between an even interval, so it's 0. You should get 0 even if you split it into two integrals.
    Thanks!
    6. Yes my mistakes, one integral - the same integral=0, its because in A level, we used to make that equal to 4 as we are finding the area in C2/C3. So it's confusing. Pd: And by even integral, you mean the the values of limits are a and -a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rad058)
    STEP 1 2015 Q3

In this answer:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...5&d=1434482176

Why is tan x = (b-a)/(b+a)?
    Opposite/adjacent?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.