The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Azimuth
本当に分かる? :P

Spoiler

さあなぁ・・・日本語の全然出来ない人はこのスレに入って日本語ばっかりのポストを見て投稿したくなくなるんじゃないかなと思ってる・・・。英語に戻ってみよう?:D

No summer holiday plans here (working until September)... other than, get better at Japanese. ._.

I started reading Shounen Jump the other day. I've bought this volume in Tokyo last year but never actually read it... I think a lot of it would've been beyond me at the time. But now I can just about read it smoothly enough to be able to enjoy it. Being exposed to Japanese all the time really helps you out with stuff that's just so casual you won't get anywhere with a dictionary. Like -

(In response to someone chastising him for not turning up to Basketball practice)

「っせーなー
わってるよ」

Which I think is

「うるさいなー
分かってるよ」

Maybe that's not even right :biggrin:

Wow don't I feel dumb. :rolleyes:

英語へ戻るとはかまわない。

Why are you only working until September? What happens after that?

I didn't realise you went to Tokyo last year - Where did you stay? What places would you recommend I visit? I'm going in August and will be staying in 港区.

You're right - Being exposed to that kind of stuff is great. I mean, I could use that so much. I watched リリイ・シュシュのすべて the other day and for most of the film I couldn't catch the Japanese, which I won't lie was very demotivating.

Sometimes I feel that the whole immersion thing isn't really working with myself though. What do you actually do yourself? I'm interested, cause I feel like I've hit a kind of plateau and I can't push my Japanese further which is frustrating to say the least.

日本冒険まで59日間 (〃^∇^ )ぇ∧∧∧っ。

(すいません、一般的には絵文字を使うのが嫌だな。この場合はいいと思うけど。)
Reply 941
I'm on an industrial placement for uni - in September I go back for my final year.

I stayed in Ikebukuro. I assumed I could just get the tube anywhere easily enough, so I ended up just sorting hotels by price on Expedia and picked the cheapest one. I was pretty lucky though, the hotel I stayed in was brand new and was really nice, and was just down the road from Ikebukuro Station, on a bustling street with electronics shops and restaurants and stuff. It was great. Ikebukuro is home to Sunshine City, which is a lovely shopping mall with some cool other stuff, such as an aquarium and an observation deck at the top of the 3rd tallest building in Tokyo. It might be worth heading over there if you've got a few hours spare.

Aside from the obvious Shibuya, Harajuku, etc., one thing I highly recommend is a train ride south to Kamakura, which is a seaside town with tons of temples and shrines, if you're into that. It's beautiful to walk around on a Summer's day. It's where I first felt that I was in "real" Japan.

I really liked リリイ・シュシュのすべて. I watched it with subtitles though :P

As for immersion, I think the key is to just fill as much of your downtime with Japanese as possible. In the morning, I wake up and turn my computer on, and watch one or two shows I've downloaded but haven't seen yet, or maybe some anime. I'm a programmer, so at work when I'm waiting for something to compile or build or whatever (which happens a lot), I open up my browser on the sly and check NHK News (I got pretty into the whole 普天間基地移設問題 ) or Japanese game sites or whatever, checking new vocab and kanji and such when I come across them. If I need to remind myself of something, I write it in Japanese on a post-it note and stick it to my monitor. All the time I'm listening to Japanese music. At night I watch some more shows, and maybe play some Japanese games. Before I go to sleep I might listen to a podcast. If I go on a trip somewhere, I'll take along some manga.

Don't worry about not understanding stuff. Just keep going. There's so much to learn, it's only natural for it to take a long time. But there's no reason for it not to be enjoyable while you're doing it. You can learn from anything. I try not to force myself through stuff that's too hard - I find that it saps my enjoyment and is demotivating. I like to just take it easy. When you're doing immersion, it's unbelievable how often the whole "suddenly start seeing a word everywhere you'd never seen until yesterday" thing happens. That's always satisfying. :biggrin:

このポストがちょっと長くなってしまったな。僕らしくない :rolleyes:
Azimuth

Expedia - Good shout, I'll check that one out. And I'll definitely be paying a visit to 池袋, it sounds trendy.

Kamakura eh? :holmes: The family who I'm staying with has offered to take me to Kanagawa which is just outside of Tokyo, I don't really know what's there, but it'd be a great chance to travel with a Japanese family I suppose. :smile: I will definitely keep Kamakura in mind as well, since you recommend it highly. :biggrin: Thank you.

Yeah, リリイ・シュシュ is a weird film. I didn't really get most of it, but I did watch it in three parts over five days and have been told it needs to be watched at least twice through until you get the gist of it. I watched it in subtitles too, but you know, comparing the English to the Japanese, I was trying to just listen to it and it was just going over my head.

Yeah, you're right. It's all about the downtime. More often than not I'll sit here scribbling some kanji I'm practising or some new word, or half of the time just hiragana to be honest. But I get tired. I don't know whether it's me being weak or not determined enough, but frequently after work I'll find that I'm simply too tired to process Japanese. It does wear me out - I've just spent about an hour reading a Japanese website on children's chemistry, which was great, I got a fair amount of new vocab from it, but I've got a headache now which I suspect could be from that. I need to be more pushy on myself!

It's not like I dislike Japanese - I entirely love it through and through. But I just get to the point where I leave work, have just travelled on a bus for 45 minutes in the heat and I just want to flop. Oh well, things will change.

Thanks though for your post - It's been quite motivational for me and has made me re-assess the approach I'm taking with Japanese.

返事遅くなってごめんね。今週末は、ダラムに行くことになったよ。友達と会いに行く予定みたい。あんまり行きたくないけど。明日、仕事の直後、車で出発して、日曜の夕べまで泊まるよ。そしてね、来週は非常に疲れるだろう。というより、今週末日本語を学ぶヒマは全くないみたいなのはめんどくさいと思う!
Hi, Im signing up for a japanese class at Uni. So I thought I would try and get the basics down before I begin. Im currently trying to remember the hirigana, and some vocab Ive picked up so far. Any tips on learning these? I was just going to write them down and try and remember a few each week. Do you know any childrens books that I could try and get that might help? Ive also been trying to get some childrens ds games to maybe practise with, any ideas?
Hey guys! ちょっと質問があるのですが…

What is the difference between:
天気予報にようと、明日は暑そうです。
天気予報にようと、明日は暑いだそうです。

I am guessing that 「天気予報にようと、明日は暑そうです。」 kinda means, ”According to the weather forecast, they said apparently it'll be hot tomorrow"

and 「天気予報にようと、明日は暑いだそうです。」 Kinda implies "From the weather forecast, I hear that it will be hot tomorrow"

So そう Infers that you are relaying information gained elsewhere, but in the first sentence it is the Weather forecast relaying information, in the second sentence YOU are relaying the information....

....no I'm confused again now... I have no idea :s-smilie:

(Also, 誰か試験がまだある? )
Reply 945
screenager2004
Hey guys! ちょっと質問があるのですが…

天気予報にようと、明日は暑いそうです。
天気予報にようと、明日は暑いだそうです。

I am guessing that 「天気予報にようと、明日は暑いそうです。」 kinda means, ”According to the weather forecast, they said apparently it'll be hot tomorrow"

and 「天気予報にようと、明日は暑いだそうです。」 Kinda implies "From the weather forecast, I hear that it will be hot tomorrow"

So そう Infers that you are relaying information gained elsewhere, but in the first sentence it is the Weather forecast relaying information, in the second sentence YOU are relaying the information....

(Also, 誰か試験がまだある? )

From what I was taught, adjective stem + そう means 'it looks like' so to me the first sentence would mean "From the weather forecast, it seems like it will be hot tomorrow"
I was also taught that a verb in plain form + そう means 'I hear that', which corresponds to the sentence as you said.
I'm sure someone will come and correct us, I don't know if that made sense :s-smilie:

私はまだ3つの試験があります。先週の木曜日に日本語のA-level試験を受けました。いい結果を希望しています。 29日を楽しみに待ってる!:smile:
Reply 946
I was able to use my Japanese in a work situation yesterday - I had to guide one of the producers through some menus in our game that he'd set to Japanese in order to investigate a bug. It makes you feel pretty valuable, because when you can undestand Japanese the chances are you're the only one in the company.

Who says learning foreign languages is pointless!
screenager2004
Hey guys! ちょっと質問があるのですが…

天気予報にようと、明日は暑そうです。
天気予報にようと、明日は暑いだそうです。

I am guessing that 「天気予報にようと、明日は暑そうです。」 kinda means, ”According to the weather forecast, they said apparently it'll be hot tomorrow"

(Also, 誰か試験がまだある? )

Firstly, I think it's よると but not ようと.
I don't really think there's much different between 1 and 2 as both of them have already set up the "prerequisite" which is "天気予報" and therefore indicates that you know the information by 天気予報 so they kind of interpret the same meaning

...ah...does this make sense? Probably not....:frown:

随分前に行われたA2日本語(と中国語)がこの学年の最後の試験でした。
「注文の多い料理店」を「注文の多い店」にと、「宮沢賢治」を「宮澤賢治」にと書いたのが悔しいです。致命的エラーにならないように祈りますorz

ちなみに翻訳パートが難しかった。
Hey guys I was wondering if there are any easy ways to learn both of the kana forms?
jakemittle
Hey guys I was wondering if there are any easy ways to learn both of the kana forms?

1. Stop using romaji as soon as you can, if you're writing in kana but still thinking in romaji then it becomes a massive crutch to fluency.

2. I did it by good old fashioned writing them out over and over until I've remembered it, some people use flashcards or stick post-its all over their wall. But I think the important thing is to submerse yourself in it, and keep writing something every day so you don't forget them all over again!
screenager2004
1. Stop using romaji as soon as you can, if you're writing in kana but still thinking in romaji then it becomes a massive crutch to fluency.

2. I did it by good old fashioned writing them out over and over until I've remembered it, some people use flashcards or stick post-its all over their wall. But I think the important thing is to submerse yourself in it, and keep writing something every day so you don't forget them all over again!

I find it quite hard to not use romaji when trying to remember Hiragana because when I see the characters I think of the pronunciation and that links back to the romaji in my head. i.e. あ I think is pronounced 'a' and so that links back to the romaji for me which is a bit hard to stop :/.
Reply 951
Woo! Totally joining you guys. Also, I need to brush up for the JLPT N4 this December. *terror* :woo:
Reply 952
Ahhh, I want to do the JLPT N5 test~ so I'm building towards that =P. I am currently building up vocab. and kanji recognition. [Siiiiigh]. I find it so hard to self-study. I, for some reason, just don't naturally encounter a lot of words, etc, that I see on the list. In any case, I'm learning JSL and have noted that it's already helped my memory regarding vocab.! Hmm, need to devise a study plan or something -- nowadays, I constantly get interrupted with any free time I have though, grr!! Puts me off. I need more will-power, ha ha!

Small123
I find it quite hard to not use romaji when trying to remember Hiragana because when I see the characters I think of the pronunciation and that links back to the romaji in my head. i.e. あ I think is pronounced 'a' and so that links back to the romaji for me which is a bit hard to stop :/.

I think the important thing is to not write and read in romaji then. Sure, if that's how you think in your head right now.. that's fine until you get more familiar with kana and then don't have to do that, you know?

When I see katakana, I sometimes think of the hiragana - as I, for some reason, have a harder time reading katakana. I think it's because I'm trying to work out what it means by trying to convert it into English when I suspect it's an imitation of an English word rather than respecting it as it's own term 'cause, even if it stemed from English, it won't necessarily mean the same thing as the original term. Anyways, once I get over that, I'm sure it'll become a lot easier for me to read it! Ha ha, I'm currently in the process of forcing myself to read it for what it is!!
Reply 953
Jazmine
Ahhh, I want to do the JLPT N5 test~ so I'm building towards that =P. I am currently building up vocab. and kanji recognition. [Siiiiigh]. I find it so hard to self-study. I, for some reason, just don't naturally encounter a lot of words, etc, that I see on the list. In any case, I'm learning JSL and have noted that it's already helped my memory regarding vocab.! Hmm, need to devise a study plan or something -- nowadays, I constantly get interrupted with any free time I have though, grr!! Puts me off. I need more will-power, ha ha!

I think the important thing is to not write and read in romaji then. Sure, if that's how you think in your head right now.. that's fine until you get more familiar with kana and then don't have to do that, you know?

When I see katakana, I sometimes think of the hiragana - as I, for some reason, have a harder time reading katakana. I think it's because I'm trying to work out what it means by trying to convert it into English when I suspect it's an imitation of an English word rather than respecting it as it's own term 'cause, even if it stemed from English, it won't necessarily mean the same thing as the original term. Anyways, once I get over that, I'm sure it'll become a lot easier for me to read it! Ha ha, I'm currently in the process of forcing myself to read it for what it is!!

The hardest part I found about the "N5" (it was the 4, of course) was the listening. In fact I didn't actually pass that section (41/100) because I understood the bulk of every sentence but often missed the negation or got what they were talking about but couldn't hear the crucial sentence. I made wild guesses on a lot of answers this way, and the worst bit was you only got to hear each passage once. Which sucked hard.

Oh, and you're not alone. I find katakana really hard to grasp - a lot of people do - it's because the shapes are cruder and less easy to slap a mnemonic on, especially when a lot of them look so similar.
Reply 954
JRaphael
The hardest part I found about the "N5" (it was the 4, of course) was the listening. In fact I didn't actually pass that section (41/100) because I understood the bulk of every sentence but often missed the negation or got what they were talking about but couldn't hear the crucial sentence. I made wild guesses on a lot of answers this way, and the worst bit was you only got to hear each passage once. Which sucked hard.

Oh, and you're not alone. I find katakana really hard to grasp - a lot of people do - it's because the shapes are cruder and less easy to slap a mnemonic on, especially when a lot of them look so similar.

I don't even get the JLPT layout when I get some past papers on the Internet, I mean.. I dunno what I'm looking at when I compare it with the answer page. I think that's my greatest worry! Not understanding the paper. -_- And what?! They only play the passage once!! =\ I suppose I'll put quite a bit more practice on that just in case, I tend to be able to tell subject matter but.. not specificially what people are saying, if you know what I mean? Even when I do, my brain's slow to process it and so I miss what's said afterwards, ha ha.

=O! I am surprised that katakana is harder for others too! I didn't know. Quite interesting! Heh, it's funny 'cause I learnt katakana a lot faster (although I learnt both in a day, pretty much) but.. in the end, my 'instant' recollection of hiragana became stronger. Maybe I only learnt katakana quicker because a lot of them look similar then!
私は日本語が大丈夫だったと思いました。しかし、別の選択科目より日本語の成績は低いです。 でも、私は来年に日本語をもう学んで選びました!来年にもっと難しく成るので、ちょっと心配しています。私は日本語を勉強するのが好きだけど、成績が下がりたくないですね。

Bleh.
Reply 956
screenager2004
Bleh.

私もです。日本語を勉強するのは好きですが、試験がうまくいかないと思います(でも日本語のテストをしたことがありません)。学力さえない人です!でも、仕事で日本語を使われるチャンスがあるように、翌年のために大学に出願してみるつもりです。クラスで日本語を勉強するチャンスを心から望んでいますが、それは今のままでは無理だと思います。でもやってみます!
I'm the same, love studying it but.. I don't imagine I'd do well in any tests (I've never done any, myself). To be honest, I'm not even very academic. I'm going to try and apply for Uni. for next year as I would truly love the opportunity to learn it (with classes) whilst gaining a qualification - giving me the oppotunity to take it on professionally but~ I honestly don't think there's much of a chance that anywhere will accept me anyways. We'll see though, I guess.

うまくいかなかったことの原因について情報を入手できますか?とにかく、来年に大丈夫でしょう!
Can you at all get info. on what 'went wrong' in the test? In any case, I'm sure you'll be fine next year!

I wouldn't worry too much, x. Chin up!!
Jazmine
私もです。日本語を勉強するのは好きですが、試験がうまくいかないと思います(でも日本語のテストをしたことがありません)。学力さえない人です!でも、仕事で日本語を使われるチャンスがあるように、翌年のために大学に出願してみるつもりです。クラスで日本語を勉強するチャンスを心から望んでいますが、それは今のままでは無理だと思います。でもやってみます!
I'm the same, love studying it but.. I don't imagine I'd do well in any tests (I've never done any, myself). To be honest, I'm not even very academic. I'm going to try and apply for Uni. for next year as I would truly love the opportunity to learn it (with classes) whilst gaining a qualification - giving me the oppotunity to take it on professionally but~ I honestly don't think there's much of a chance that anywhere will accept me anyways. We'll see though, I guess.

うまくいかなかったことの原因について情報を入手できますか?とにかく、来年に大丈夫でしょう!
Can you at all get info. on what 'went wrong' in the test? In any case, I'm sure you'll be fine next year!

I wouldn't worry too much, x. Chin up!!

I think it was the oral exam. But they haven't released a breakdown of the results yet. The written component I thought went great. But I must have done awfully in the oral to drag my average back down again. (I thought it had gone ok :frown: haha) Nevermind!

(Also on a side note. OMG LANG-8! I followed the link from someone else on TSR and it's amazing! There's hundreds of Japanese members and a tiny amount of English users. I post a little blog up thee and within 5 minutes it has been corrected and checked over for grammar by half a dozen people!)
Reply 958
Jazmine
I don't even get the JLPT layout when I get some past papers on the Internet, I mean.. I dunno what I'm looking at when I compare it with the answer page. I think that's my greatest worry! Not understanding the paper. -_- And what?! They only play the passage once!! =\ I suppose I'll put quite a bit more practice on that just in case, I tend to be able to tell subject matter but.. not specificially what people are saying, if you know what I mean? Even when I do, my brain's slow to process it and so I miss what's said afterwards, ha ha.

Yeah, I also admit to not understanding the answer booklet at the time. One section of the listening test comprises a booklet which you work through and select one of the answers. The second section is the one that threw me off - you do the same thing but the answers you select are played on the audio tape. This makes the answer booklet confusing - you see, in an attempt to remove any element of cheating, you have to select either "yes" or "no" for each answer (if they didn't do this, you could just wait to see when everyone else had their "aha!" moment and scribbled onto the paper). Unfortunately I didn't immediately get this, and thought the reason for it was because there might've been more than one correct answer. Oops.

Jazmine
=O! I am surprised that katakana is harder for others too! I didn't know. Quite interesting! Heh, it's funny 'cause I learnt katakana a lot faster (although I learnt both in a day, pretty much) but.. in the end, my 'instant' recollection of hiragana became stronger. Maybe I only learnt katakana quicker because a lot of them look similar then!

Ditto - I think I picked up on the katakana really quickly, but years later I recognise them fairly well but really struggle when it comes to producing them from thin air.:o:
Reply 959
JRaphael

Ahh, I see! Thanks for letting me know - presuming the exam layout won't be too different with the N5 exam! Are you getting the new study books at all? I was thinking of getting this book, you see. Wondered if there were any more out there or what have you.

It makes me wonder what natives of Japanese think of their writing system! I don't think I've ever asked...

screenager2004
I think it was the oral exam. But they haven't released a breakdown of the results yet. The written component I thought went great. But I must have done awfully in the oral to drag my average back down again. (I thought it had gone ok :frown: haha) Nevermind!

(Also on a side note. OMG LANG-8! I followed the link from someone else on TSR and it's amazing! There's hundreds of Japanese members and a tiny amount of English users. I post a little blog up thee and within 5 minutes it has been corrected and checked over for grammar by half a dozen people!)

That's exactly what happened to me with my French GCSE. =P My oral exam was so tragic that it dragged me down a lot, ha ha. I think I was really good at reading and writing but really rubbish at listening and speaking. Unfortunately, the rubbishness far outweighed the goodness, heh.

Ha ha, yes, I love Lang-8! I don't write in it much nowadays though!! Many of the users are extremely helpful though, huh? I give quite 'in-depth' corrections compared to some others I see, when some of them see this.. they correct me in the same manner and I love it 'cause it's easier for me to understand when they explain things for me, ha ha. I found it a little difficult when I first used it 'cause I was a straight-up beginner and often wouldn't understand how the corrections corrected the sentence, etc (due to a lack of understanding grammar that well, etc).

Quick Reply

Latest