The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I agree - of course I get their point that jobs should provide a living wage, but the minimum wage cannot do that on it's own. Perhaps in times of particularly high employment some moderate impact on jobs would be tolerable, but generally the only way to ensure people have enough to live on is to ensure a strong economy. It isn't a fix-all tool that can magically make sure everyone is happy ever after.
    Indeed. When it comes to politics i believe that the cost of living is something people like to talk about but only address on one side (wages) when there's much more that government can do (remove taxation, restructure utility markets).

Regarding the minimum wage full time employment increased by 397,000 in 2015, i would contest that this should be increased until the rate of growth falls below say 360,000 regardless of whether the cost of living is higher/lower than the rate at the time because its more important that we carry on creating hundreds of thousands of new full time jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Indeed. When it comes to politics i believe that the cost of living is something people like to talk about but only address on one side (wages) when there's much more that government can do (remove taxation, restructure utility markets).

Regarding the minimum wage full time employment increased by 397,000 in 2015, i would contest that this should be increased until the rate of growth falls below say 360,000 regardless of whether the cost of living is higher/lower than the rate at the time because its more important that we carry on creating hundreds of thousands of new full time jobs.

Indeed. Wages is just the easily conceptualised part and thus a political hot potato. My problem with the prevailing economic ideas of the last 40 years isn't that we've had insufficient wage growth: it's that necessities such as housing, transport, food and utilities have all seen very heavy inflation, masked by a fall in the relative prices of commodities and luxuries (technological goods, holidays, etc). It's much harder for those not set to inherit a house in particular to get on the ladder, whilst those who are already there have seen nearly all the benefits - that in my mind is the real inequality, rather than a few bankers earning mega millions.

Indeed - I'd generally say 5% unemployment is a good and natural rate, but right now we have a real problem of underemployment, people working jobs below their qualifications/experience or on fewer hours than they want. That for me is what needs to be rectified. However, I think Osborne was right to judge that raising the minimum wage was okay here - it's unlikely to affect the type of jobs we need to create right now, the issue lies in other areas. But I think the aim of it sticking to 60% of median earnings rather than being judged on effects on employment is a folly.

ReputationRep:
    Screenshot_20160926-234253.png

Social Democrat seems pretty much spot on, I'm impressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Well, I'm in the right party.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Time for us all to do these I reckon; me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

I'd argue a big part of Labour's problem right now is that it has plenty of people with beliefs as disparate as Trotskyism and Social Liberalism, as well as everything in between. And whilst the Tories have largely swallowed the outer lying sections of their party and stuck to the common ground in their policy and their selection of candidates, Labour has ended up promoting both extremes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

Do you have a link for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Do you have a link for this?
    It's an android app - "Vote 1 political Spectrum" on the plAyrshire store.

ReputationRep:
    new political compass.jpg

I did mine on my sisters tablet and took a photo of it, but here it is xD

ReputationRep:
    IMG_2135.JPG

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else despise all these quango's that are created to set the like of the minimum wage based on living costs (most of which end up being ludicrous).

Surely for those of us who want higher wages, the minimum wage should be set at the highest point at which it does not substantially effect employment regardless of whether living costs are higher or lower.

Not a fan of the money tree idea either.
    They're doing exactly what they were created for, to throw economics out the window and make people think they should be paid more than they're worth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Want to own a house in the future, but aren't set to inherit one?

Step 1: have some friends, get close and start renting with them. Me and my partner are going to move in with another couple in a 4 bedroom house in Surrey. This can be done with a budget of £1500-£2000 per month or £100-£150pppw.

Step 2: find a house with 3-4 bedroom costing around £350,000. If you can altogether save £400 per week (£100 each) then you'll have a deposit ready in little over a year.

Step 3: Get as short a mortgage as you can possibly afford (remembering that as a monthly cost a mortgage can very often be cheaper than renting) because when you've paid off enough and house prices have inflated more your little investment could provide plenty of fruits.

Step 4: Sell the house, splitting the gains in 4 ways, using what you have from that to put a deposit down on a house for yourself.

There you go, home-owning101

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Apparently I'm a moderate

ReputationRep:
    Social Liberal/Populist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg 1474965085998.jpg (65.8 KB, 21 views)

ReputationRep:
    We're debating if we should debate rule changes individually or vote them on a take them all or leave them all package.

Sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Want to own a house in the future, but aren't set to inherit one?

Step 1: have some friends, get close and start renting with them. Me and my partner are going to move in with another couple in a 4 bedroom house in Surrey. This can be done with a budget of £1500-£2000 per month or £100-£150pppw.

Step 2: find a house with 3-4 bedroom costing around £350,000. If you can altogether save £400 per week (£100 each) then you'll have a deposit ready in little over a year.

Step 3: Get as short a mortgage as you can possibly afford (remembering that as a monthly cost a mortgage can very often be cheaper than renting) because when you've paid off enough and house prices have inflated more your little investment could provide plenty of fruits.

Step 4: Sell the house, splitting the gains in 4 ways, using what you have from that to put a deposit down on a house for yourself.

There you go, home-owning101

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Come Jan/Feb i'll be moving out of my current 1 bed apartment into a shared house as close to work as possible (reducing transport costs) but i'm currently considering just going for the cheapest possible rent (provided there's no mold or cracks in the ceiling ect..) and then just putting up with that for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They're doing exactly what they were created for, to throw economics out the window and make people think they should be paid more than they're worth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Economics is not a perfect science and study after study have shown there to be very little link between an increase in the minimum wage and significant unemployment.

Of course of people are paid more there is more disposable capital floating around and therefore more demand.

ReputationRep:
    Come Jan/Feb i'll be moving out of my current 1 bed apartment into a shared house as close to work as possible (reducing transport costs) but i'm currently considering just going for the cheapest possible rent (provided there's no mold or cracks in the ceiling ect..) and then just putting up with that for a year.
    where do you work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    :confused:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Apparently I'm a moderate
    that's a poor scale.
    Libertarian is right wing. The right-left axis should be 'communism - libertarianism' with the y axis 'liberal - authoritarian'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    where do you work ?
    Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I'm a Lenist and close to being a left-comunist. Sounds about right.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: jpg 1474970876958.jpg (63.2 KB, 20 views)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.