?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazygirl343)
Hey just done my UKCAT and got

VR-610
QR-730
AR-610
DA-810

Giving me 2760 and an average of 690. Is this enough for newcastle and edinburgh?
Congratulations! Impressive all-round results, but well done especially on AR and DA!
And I hope it's enough - I have the same average and I am also applying to Edinburgh and Newcastle. Good luck with your applications
username196656
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
do the universities get a breakdown of all the separate sections or just a total average? and when you're guessing, is it better to guess randomly or the same letter for all of them...
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kinza)
and when you're guessing, is it better to guess randomly or the same letter for all of them...
how does it matter. if you have say 3 choices...each has a 33.33% chance of being right...guessing "C" throughout would give a success probability of; 33.33 x 33.33 x 33.33.....and so on. however guessing "C", "B", "A", "C" etc etc would also be 33.33 x 33.33 x 33.33...most people think that by guessing the same answer they're bound to get something right when in actual fact the probability of doing either method is the same. a guess is a guess...you can't have a "better" method of guessing.
Fabregas1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No-one actually cares about UKCAT scores. It's only used if there's a tie-break between two candidates, or if your UKCAT is so bad it stands out. The actual score hardly matters.
El-Taji
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by El-Taji)
hi baiscally wanna no how im doing !!!
i am doing practise questions with mark out of 30.... say im doing between 80 and 85% what kind of score will i be getting for the abstart reasoning?

can some onswer please
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why don't you take the exam and find out.
AnonymousPenguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
the VR section in the UKCAT book is absolutely ****ed up!! ok let me quote something from it; "It does not say that they do not help dyslexics with sequencing problems - therefore the answer is false". surely the words "it does not say" means that the answer should be can't tell?
That surely isn't can't tell. It asks whether the text says it. How can that be can't tell?
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
anonymous, the vr section in that book is messed up, I wouldn't take it word for word if I were you.

People, I'm trying to do the practice test on the ukcat website, but the window closes right after the VR test, without giving me a score or letting me attempt the other sections. Any clue why?

thanks xxx
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FizzyOrange)
anonymous, the vr section in that book is messed up, I wouldn't take it word for word if I were you.

People, I'm trying to do the practice test on the ukcat website, but the window closes right after the VR test, without giving me a score or letting me attempt the other sections. Any clue why?

thanks xxx
You're probably running out of time. The whole program will close if you run out of time on any section - annoying, I know.
Also, the practise test won't give you a score. You have to write down your answers and then mark them afterwards, using the online mark schemes. Even then you'll only get a percentage, you won't be able to work out what you get in UKCAT score terms I'm afraid.
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fabregas1989)
No-one actually cares about UKCAT scores. It's only used if there's a tie-break between two candidates, or if your UKCAT is so bad it stands out. The actual score hardly matters.
Sadly I think the scores do matter. For some unis it is used as a cut-off point for interviews. So yes in this way they are used to differentiate between candidates. The scores are also taken into consideration if you have lower academic qualifications but a higher ukcat score, because it shows that you apparantly have the skills needed to practice medicine/dentistry.
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
You're probably running out of time. The whole program will close if you run out of time on any section - annoying, I know.
Also, the practise test won't give you a score. You have to write down your answers and then mark them afterwards, using the online mark schemes. Even then you'll only get a percentage, you won't be able to work out what you get in UKCAT score terms I'm afraid.
Eeek how annoying! Thanks for this though!

xxx
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eeek how annoying! Thanks for this though!

xxx
No problemo Good luck for the real thing!
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
Thanks scary, I'm really going to need it. It is very soon and I don't feel like I'm ready for it...but how 'ready' can you really be for the ukcat? It's not like a-levels for instance where you know if you know the syllabus or not?

hmmm

xxx
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks scary, I'm really going to need it. It is very soon and I don't feel like I'm ready for it...but how 'ready' can you really be for the ukcat? It's not like a-levels for instance where you know if you know the syllabus or not?

hmmm

xxx
Seriously, try not to worry about it too much. In the week leading up to mine I was terrified that I'd get an average in the 400's or low 500's, I was absolutely ****ting myself as I felt that this was the area of my application most likely to drag me down.
The night before, I realised I had done all the preparation I could, and told myself all I can do is try my best, and hope that's good enough. Try to keep calm and focussed in the actual test - you're more likely to work quickly and efficiently that way.
Also, don't worry yourself or take time up over trivial things like wiping your whiteboard off. If a question looks horribly difficult/time consuming, mark it for review and guess the answer. If you have time at the end, you can always go back to it.
Come and let us know how you do
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Seriously, try not to worry about it too much. In the week leading up to mine I was terrified that I'd get an average in the 400's or low 500's, I was absolutely ****ting myself as I felt that this was the area of my application most likely to drag me down.
The night before, I realised I had done all the preparation I could, and told myself all I can do is try my best, and hope that's good enough. Try to keep calm and focussed in the actual test - you're more likely to work quickly and efficiently that way.
Also, don't worry yourself or take time up over trivial things like wiping your whiteboard off. If a question looks horribly difficult/time consuming, mark it for review and guess the answer. If you have time at the end, you can always go back to it.
Come and let us know how you do
Thanks a bunch scary, you're a star! I'll let you know how it goes :0)

xxx
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
last post before my UKCAT... umm... i banged my head yesterday.. lost what few braincells i had i think. neways, i predict ill get 500 and sumthing, im so crap at it, the time limit is soul destroying wish me luck guys
The Jester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
firstly..

i havent registered yet. but, on the site it says that last testing date is the 10th october.

have i left it a little late?.. its towards the end of august.

but all the UCAS stuff is sent on the 15th. which then leads to my second question:

how long till you recieve the results of the exam?
Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badger stripes)
last post before my UKCAT... umm... i banged my head yesterday.. lost what few braincells i had i think. neways, i predict ill get 500 and sumthing, im so crap at it, the time limit is soul destroying wish me luck guys
Good luck - don't worry and just try your best - you will come out with scores much higher than you anticipated, I bet!
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you can still book...but it's more expensive now for latecomers. last registration date is late sept. so register now at least! you get your results as soon as you finish the exam (it's computerised).
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mines in 2 days

I haven't looked at any questions yet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads