Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    No but the opposition will know you have pace
    Say that to heskey after going to liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Vain)
    If we do get a decent striker, Podolski will be a good backup. I would not put him on the left or even pick him over Giroud, he is very inconsistent. I think Giroud can be put into a Heskey type of role to supply knock downs etc and provide an aerial presence up top, but I really doubt his goalscoring ability.

I think the Benzema and Di Maria deals are totally dependent on the Bale deal going through. But hopefully, the Spuds lose their golden boy and we gain two very good players.
    Think you need to give Giroud a break, this season he's scored 2 in 2 in competitive matches whilst in the friendlies he must've scored about ~6 goals. There's been nothing wrong with his performances so far. I agree we need a backup striker but I think Wenger might be treating Podolski/Sanogo as that now.

That said, mainly just trying to justify it if Wenger not signing anyone so I don't cry myself to sleep on 2nd Sept.

(Original post by noone29)
    If Bale does go to RM (which is looking likely), CR7 will move to ST/CF position. There's no way both bale and ronaldo can play as wingers, they'd be too imbalanced. Plus, they've got a couple of young strikers that they're looking to play.

It's a big risk but Real are clearly struggling to fund Bale and it would be a complete embarrassment for them should they not land him.

I think Benzema is worth that £40m. He's suited to our system. Let's not forget what Falcao, Cavani, Suarez, Rooney, Higuain went/are going for

Higuain for £34m or Benzema for £40m. Easy choice. I can see it happening but I think it will cost Ancellotti his job at the end of the season.
    I can see them using Bale on the RW with Ronaldo on the LW with both cutting inside on their stronger foot. Or maybe Bale might play through the middle seeing as he did enjoy playing the centre a lot for Spurs last season.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo will be playing as a number 9 through the middle even though he doesn't like it. Hence why Ancelotti used him as a number 9 during pre-season. They've been prepared for the arrival of Bale for quite a while now. It's the reason why they let Callejon (who actually had a decent season) and Higuain go with Di Maria to follow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nwakaeme)
    good choice would rather have him than suarez

young, black, strong, pacey, unloyal + scores a lot of goals

could've got him for 25m when he handed in the transfer request but now theres no chance

Being black does not automatically make you a better footballer you idiot.

(And no I'm not racist because my best friends dad is black)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Being black does not automatically make you a better footballer you idiot.

Using that now are you :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    Podolski on his way out I guess, Schalke + Wolfsburg interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    wont believe it til I meet him myself

ReputationRep:
    Podolski on his way out I guess, Schalke + Wolfsburg interested
    With the squad as thin as it is there is no way we are selling him. Media just making the most out of the fact he isn't starting here. But don't let common sense get in the way of winding up Arsenal fans.

FWIW I could see him going next summer.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Hope it comes true, would be absolutely devastating.

Walcott Cazorla Di Maria
    Benzema

:coma:

Would make things ridiculously competitive in the top 4.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be surprised if Madrid let go of one of Di Maria/Benzema, looks increasingly likely that their front 3 next year will be Ronaldo/Bale/Isco with plenty of other options. Can only see them letting go of both however if they bring Suarez in.

About that, Arsenal could have (probably inadvertently) played a masterstroke in turning Suarez's head. Liverpool would happily sell him to Madrid for £40m I'm sure, which could allow Benzema to leave. Di Maria/Benzema out, Bale/Suarez in for Real Madrid. Could allow Arsenal to swoop in. Contrary to what (I think) Alan Smith said commentating last night, I think Arsenal's weakness is our one dimensional attack so I'd love us to get players in there. Of course, in terms of depth, we need defenders also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur123)
    Lmao.

Benzema deal is pretty unlikely tbh, I don't think Suarez is going this window. Di Maria would be a good but for you lot though.

I think what Wenger meant by the transfer window essentially starting now is that players that you were targeting were waiting to see if you qualify before continuing talks.

I'd imagine he has quite a few deals almost fully negotiated already, was just waiting for qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look at the players Spurs managed to get without champions league football this season. Why couldnt we do the same being most likely to be in the champions league?

ReputationRep:
    Benzema
    Walcott Cazorla Di Maria
    Wilshere Bender/Kondogbia
    Gibbs Mert Kos Sagna
    Casillas

:moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Benzema
    Walcott Cazorla Di Maria
    Wilshere Bender/Kondogbia
    Gibbs Mert Kos Sagna
    Casillas

:moon:

ReputationRep:
    Would rather hijack Spurs' Lamela deal than get Di Maria, he'd be more expensive but has a lot more potential and I think he's a better creative outlet than Di Maria. Not convinced either will happen though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Would rather hijack Spurs' Lamela deal than get Di Maria, he'd be more expensive but has a lot more potential and I think he's a better creative outlet than Di Maria. Not convinced either will happen though
    Not sure how much I buy into the Spurs deal, no credible sources reported it so far. I'd rather we got Di Maria, he is the better player atm and we need proven quality over potential. He can be inconsistent but on his day he is unplayable.

ReputationRep:
    They have both said they want to stay at madrid + don't want to leave. Like we'd get one of those players we aren't that ambitious calm down guys
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    They have both said they want to stay at madrid + don't want to leave. Like we'd get one of those players we aren't that ambitious calm down guys
    Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore 13h
    Benzema to Arsenal. Typo surely? Must been Ben Zeema, that 19 year old French wonder kid from(insert Ligue 1 team).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    Not sure how much I buy into the Spurs deal, no credible sources reported it so far. I'd rather we got Di Maria, he is the better player atm and we need proven quality over potential. He can be inconsistent but on his day he is unplayable.
    He isn't :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't :rolleyes:.
    Yes, he is.

Cesar?

Sagna New CH Kos Gibbs
    Ramsey Bender Wilshere
    Walcott Benzema Di Maria

TROPHIES!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and let's get Akinfenwa while we're at it

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.