Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
c223
Badges: 2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nurav11)
Ahh that's really unlucky... Same long journey in twice . My 4 is nothing compared haha, furthest away is Southampton and that's a couple hours tops by car so not too bad.

The allure of the shiny prospectus , Kings clearly have drawn you in well! All those Unis are great, I guess UCL and Warwick probably rank higher for economics in the league tables? But Warwick is kinda weird, the whole campus is like its own town cut off from the rest of civilisation. Durham is quite similar apparently but I'm not sure on that. Probably worth deciding on their prospectuses then

Posted from TSR Mobile
King's and Cambridge definitely have the best prospectuses (of the ones I collected anyway) and the guy on the King's stand at the UCAS fair we went to was very nice. Unlike the Oxford guy who apparently started most conversations with "so how many A*s did you get at GCSE?" which put a fair few of my friends off Oxford. On a couple of league tables, Warwick actually ranks above Oxford for Econ and UCL is also very high ranking, plus I quite like the uni as a whole I'd heard bits about the Warwick campus being a bit distant, however Warwick does have a nice castle... Then again Bath is a very pretty place in general. Bristol has a big hill I think and I don't like the Durham Uni logo thing. I am however going to the Durham open day in June so we'll see how that goes. A friend and I are getting a train up on the Sunday (though we have to get on a bus for an hour in between two trains because of rail improvements ) staying the night and travelling back down on the Monday, I'm not sure my mum is convinced we'll make it back safely.
As you can see, my method of choosing is probably not the one most teachers would advise...
Anti-Dirac
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Renzhi10122)
Does Cambridge actually care about GCSEs?
Yes of course they do! It does come down to AS UMS, interview and admissions test performance much more than anything else though
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does Cambridge actually care about GCSEs?
I will be shocked if trinity don't give you an offer for maths. Due to invitation to the notorious trinity camp in yr 12. I would've killed to make it that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Renzhi10122
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
I will be shocked if trinity don't give you an offer for maths. Due to invitation to the notorious trinity camp in yr 12. I would've killed to make it that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks (I say this too much) I actually began working to get into Trinity camp so that I could put it on my personal statement at first. Of course, that changed into a genuine interest for maths soon after. Btw, what was your interview like? Did you have a test beforehand, or was it all in the interview?
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just reading some stats on IMO and trinity and apparently over 50% of IMO team members from the UK since 1966 end up as under grads at trinity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Number Nine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks (I say this too much) I actually began working to get into Trinity camp so that I could put it on my personal statement at first. Of course, that changed into a genuine interest for maths soon after. Btw, what was your interview like? Did you have a test beforehand, or was it all in the interview?
What was the trinity camp like and how did you get into it?
Renzhi10122
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Number Nine)
What was the trinity camp like and how did you get into it?
I got into it by invitation from my BMO2 score. It was a pretty cool experience, both because it was at Trinity and because of the maths. It was kinda intense though, we had two 4.5 hours exams and I somehow managed to fall ill during the first one (managed to recover after about 4 hours of sleep).
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yh I had a test and two interviews. Ill be honest I was expecting it to be much harder but it wasnt bad at all and they were just questions requiring one to think. You can have a look at the type of questions on the trinity website which has 3 previous tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are the so many trolls out tonight? :dontknow:
matt4650
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in the middle of my GCSE's and I'm hoping to do Architecture at Bath/Cambridge! If I have two B's but I do well in my other subjects does it matter as much? By well I mean majority A's and a few A*'s. Do they put a lot of emphasis on GCSE's at all? Also, any tips for AS??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Renzhi10122
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yh I had a test and two interviews. Ill be honest I was expecting it to be much harder but it wasnt bad at all and they were just questions requiring one to think. You can have a look at the type of questions on the trinity website which has 3 previous tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah k, I'm really hoping the test we get next year isn't much harder than the ones online (I've had a look at the first 2, I'm saving the third for next year), cos sometimes, I just spend ages on a question, and an hour really isn't much for the test.
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got into it by invitation from my BMO2 score. It was a pretty cool experience, both because it was at Trinity and because of the maths. It was kinda intense though, we had two 4.5 hours exams and I somehow managed to fall ill during the first one (managed to recover after about 4 hours of sleep).
Wow you're year 12? Really impressive :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Number Nine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel very intimidated, I want to apply to the same place as you
Renzhi10122
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Wow you're year 12? Really impressive :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thanks, did you think I was in year 13?
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Attachment 413021

Feel like a **** now mate.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Get off tsr and do some step u tosser
Renzhi10122
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Number Nine)
I feel very intimidated, I want to apply to the same place as you
Sorry Someone in the year above at my school got into Trinity maths this year and he didn't do Trinity camp, so those 40 places can go to anyone. Actually, I heard from someone that someone in the IMO team last year got pooled to Homerton. It just goes to show how different olympiad maths is to STEP etc.
physicsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by newblood)
Get off tsr and do some step u tosser
**** off wasteman.
Go and get ready for tripos u piece of ****,

Posted from TSR Mobile
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haha thanks, did you think I was in year 13?
Nono I thought you were year 12 but that was my way of expressing how I'm impressed (doubting my knowledge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Serine Soul
Report 3 years ago
Now that the storm has passed...
Did anyone enter the Peterhouse Essay Competition? They said they'll let us know by early June and it's making me slightly nervous (not that what I wrote was actually worthy of any credit :lol:)
Renzhi10122
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Nono I thought you were year 12 but that was my way of expressing how I'm impressed (doubting my knowledge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woops... didn't realise haha.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1280)
79.7%
Leave (326)
20.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed